Econ Economic reading list

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

Thenut

Frontiersman
Trusted Trader
Sep 10, 2015
dat atl
i try to improve my human capital by reading (a novel idea i know...........hheheh get it?)

anyway, what have yall been reading as of late?

here are a few i suggest folks pick up

-richest man in babylon
-the wealth of nations
-capitalism and freedom
-federalist and antifederalist papers (more to do with the role of gov but they steal your money so it is related)
-capital in the 21st century (written by a dirty little french communist by the name of piketty, but is a good read if you want to know more about your enemy)

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
i dont read much on economics, more so on career focused reading personaly. but The Five Dysfunctions of a Team is a good one im working on now

wouldnt mind picking up some knowledge on economics though.

Reactions: Thenut

Thenut

Frontiersman
Trusted Trader
Sep 10, 2015
dat atl
Rich Dad, Poor Dad.

Read it, it's for the children.
ya know, i specifically didnt list his book for a reason

while he is "successful" his tips are one of the shiester. earning a percentage simply by shuffling money around is what got the US and the economic world into such a bad position

essentially, you are borrowing a promise that was based on a promise to be repaid, and somewhere the buck has gotta stop. this can work if you can play hot potato really well, but most of us dont have large amounts of disposable capital to invest; and the best investments currently (housing) should only be done if you are going to live there and it is for the long haul

a decent book to read but i wouldnt follow its advice

just my two cents

Thenut

Frontiersman
Trusted Trader
Sep 10, 2015
dat atl
i dont read much on economics, more so on career focused reading personaly. but The Five Dysfunctions of a Team is a good one im working on now

wouldnt mind picking up some knowledge on economics though.
"all money is a matter of belief"

the rest is our interpretations into the market.

how to win friends and influence people is a good book though for the former; i havent read the one you mentioned but will add it to my amazon order list

another good one is "dead aid" by danisba moya (dont know how to spell her name). she details why western aid to africa is a bad thing and why africa is in such a shit state. it is one hell of a read and yall should follow her on facebook if you do that kinda thing

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
I've been re-reading Frédéric Bastiat lately when I have time.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
"all money is a matter of belief"

the rest is our interpretations into the market.

how to win friends and influence people is a good book though for the former; i havent read the one you mentioned but will add it to my amazon order list

another good one is "dead aid" by danisba moya (dont know how to spell her name). she details why western aid to africa is a bad thing and why africa is in such a shit state. it is one hell of a read and yall should follow her on facebook if you do that kinda thing
its a great book if you work as part of a team. i actually heard about it in church then a supervisor later mentioned it so I picked it up. pretty good read so far on some of the reasons teams fail to reach common goals and how to combat those reasons from the beginning. ill check out these youve mentioned.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
new one to me

or maybe not, whats his focus on?

Yeah I wouldn't think you would have in a typical economics curriculum in college. He's an old dead french guy....but pertinent.

Look up Glazier ' s Fallacy

Thenut

Frontiersman
Trusted Trader
Sep 10, 2015
dat atl
Yeah I wouldn't think you would have in a typical economics curriculum in college. He's an old dead french guy....but pertinent.

Look up Glazier ' s Fallacy
THANK YOU FOR THAT

i do remember this principle from some dark corner of my memory. it is a great take on keynsian theory, even though it evidently is older than him.

regarding the unintended consequences and there abouts the unidentified costs i believe it can apply to farther reaching theorys such as bennets hypothesis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higher_education_bubble

buried in there is the bennett hypothesis, or the belief that by offering gov funding and easier accessibility will drive the costs in aggregate for a service (say university or healthcare). now the standard market forces theory of increased demand can account for some of it, but there is a larger incentive now among schools, loan offices, gov officials, publishers, etc. all have an incentive to pad the curriculum further and get as many people enrolled as possible. but our society is tertiary, one of service more than anything, and so it would make sense for more people to increase their human capital via diplomas/higher ed?

kinda, but our universities are producing (and have been for some time) useless educated workers. i mean, this talk of a living wage is retarded but please dont mind the fact that the barista making 10 bucks an hour owes 40K in student loans for a degree he aint using.
Human capital is a multiplier in the positive when used in a macro sense to measure the impact of higher skill/education on a workforce/population. but if the jobs are not there then the society/individuals do not benefit from higher education, in fact they are made worse off by having a substanial debt levied against them. and for what? a rounded education?

the classes are becoming more diverse but the return on utility is questionable at best. while we are a teritary (service) economy, we still have the vast potential to produce. so why is manufacturing not so rampant here? this could be a long drawn out debate with varrying answers, but the labor force is not the issue (americans are willing to work in industry, the plants KIA and Hyundai put in the southeast are a testament to this) but the rates have to be in line with what the market demands

thats why screwing with the market and trying to force a result is a bad idea. you subisidize higher education with the belief Human capital (H) times (L) labor equals (=) higher output. but they dont account for the higher costs of education and the lack of jobs to be filled. university education is a good thing but not when there is nothing waiting on the other side. trade skill jobs are kicking ass evidently right now, whereas someone with a fancy degree like mine that lets me use big impressive economic jargon dont mean so much in the real world. so thats it, the gov subsidizes college, more people go, costs go up because universities are a racket and demand is higher, people drop out or skirt their student loads, taxpayers eat it either via bad return on loans or the liberal gov forgives it all............so to sum up i believe the whole world to actually runs on kitten farts

*ps* per the costs i suppose they can be identified if you believe in assigning dollar amounts to externalities, but thats a consensus valuation among policy experts more than anything

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
Man, Economy, and State by Murray Rothbard

A collection from Hayek, http://hayekcenter.org/?page_id=9

Mises.org has many free books in popular ebook formats if you would like to explore Austrian economics.

http://www.econlib.org/library/classics.html, many economic papers and books are available for free.

For a podcast, check out Econtalk, by Russ Roberts. He interviews people from all over the spectrum, but he lets them talk and is a good interviewer, even though he is an Austrian, mixed with a little Chicago.