Drill and tap

Faktory 47
May 2, 2017
Plant city, Fl
Zip code
Looking to put a rmr on my xd mod 2. How much. $$$ should i be looking at to drill and tap the slide so i can put it on? I've never had and gunsmith work done and don't know what this generally run. Don't wanna get ripped off, know what I'm sayin? Thanks in advance for the info. I'm in central Florida if geographic location makes any difference.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
For the cost of having a smith do that, you could buy a decent tap and die set and do your own from now on. Once you have one, you'll find more and more uses for it. Running a die over a bolt or a tap through a nut is often far more efficient than a trip to the hardware store or searching for a specialty fastener

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I paid $175 before shipping both ways for that work and cerakote on a glock slide.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Looking to put a rmr on my xd mod 2. How much. $$$ should i be looking at to drill and tap the slide so i can put it on? I've never had and gunsmith work done and don't know what this generally run. Don't wanna get ripped off, know what I'm sayin? Thanks in advance for the info. I'm in central Florida if geographic location makes any difference.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
I don't believe it's as simple as drilling and tapping. Unless the slide has already been cut you will need to have it milled to accept the optic. Glocks typically run around $200. Since the Xd isn't as common I don't know if they would charge more. If your slide isn't already killed it may be more cost effective to sell it and buy one that comes from the factory ready to accept an optic.

Reactions: Dirty J

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Boo yeah look whose doing it now. Call these guys for quality work and awesome folks to deal with. This is their user profile on here @KGmade

4b62c4c61d3b80d9bd5164e5919bbe00.jpg

39bb73fbd01ca0b972dcf0f6eaa76878.jpg

Sent from my ObamaPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: ReservoirDawg10

Dirty J

Hunter
Jul 28, 2017
Cumming
Zip code
GA
Yeah... not just a drill and tap job. The optic needs to sit tightly in a pocket to help absorb the recoil... otherwise it'll just shear off the screws. Also needs to have the mounting posts, in addition to the screws... again.. to give it more to hold on... and lessen the chance of it shearing off.

You should expect to pay $100-150 for the proper milling job... plus whatever refinishing of the slide you choose (cerakote, nitride, etc).

One problem you may run into... most of the folks doing optic cuts (Primary Machine and Jagerwerks that I know of), shy away from milling XD's. Some issue with the steel material that's used on those slides. (http://primarymachine.com/contact-us-faq/)

Good luck with your hunt... slide mounted optics are a nice addition to any pistol. I'm running 3 Glocks with optics current.

upload_2017-8-1_10-28-12.png

Reactions: Leshaire

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Yeah... not just a drill and tap job. The optic needs to sit tightly in a pocket to help absorb the recoil... otherwise it'll just shear off the screws. Also needs to have the mounting posts, in addition to the screws... again.. to give it more to hold on... and lessen the chance of it shearing off.

You should expect to pay $100-150 for the proper milling job... plus whatever refinishing of the slide you choose (cerakote, nitride, etc).

One problem you may run into... most of the folks doing optic cuts (Primary Machine and Jagerwerks that I know of), shy away from milling XD's. Some issue with the steel material that's used on those slides. (http://primarymachine.com/contact-us-faq/)

Good luck with your hunt... slide mounted optics are a nice addition to any pistol. I'm running 3 Glocks with optics current.

View attachment 30871
Thanks for the additional insight. I overlooked the whole XD part lol.

Good luck OP, sorry...