Do you carry with one in the tube?

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
When I carry my 1911 it's in condition one: hammer back, safety on, one in the tube.

LCP has one in the chamber as well.

How do you carry?

Reactions: Richard P. Musgrove

karlvv

The LEGEND
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
I don't think the .5 seconds it takes to rack one is should be of grave concern. I say to each their own. I personally don't have one in the tube. I do know how long it takes me to get there and I'm comfortable with my decision.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
If I ever need to pull my pistol, I'm not going to want to spend the extra time to chamber a round. Hell, why not just put the box of ammo in your back pocket and load the magazine when you need it? Don't forget ear and eye protection, and certainly check the barrel for obstructions and make sure it's properly lubed.

medium187mph

Frontiersman
Trusted Trader
Jun 4, 2015
Lagrange, GA
I carry hot everyday. Period.

If a credible threat somehow held your left arm how the hell are you supposed to rack the slide back?

Now I keep several handguns in my home without a round in the tube. My reason is simple, I have young kids. They are not strong enough to rack a slide back. So keeping mag/gun together with empty chamber at the house works for me right now.

karlvv

The LEGEND
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
I carry hot everyday. Period.

If a credible threat somehow held your left arm how the hell are you supposed to rack the slide back?

Now I keep several handguns in my home without a round in the tube. My reason is simple, I have young kids. They are not strong enough to rack a slide back. So keeping mag/gun together with empty chamber at the house works for me right now.

I understand that. I just don't worry about someone grabbing my left arm. Since I got back from Iraq in 2009, my head is on a swivel. That hyper awareness that you get being over there never went away.

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
I don't think the .5 seconds it takes to rack one is should be of grave concern. I say to each their own. I personally don't have one in the tube. I do know how long it takes me to get there and I'm comfortable with my decision.

Wish I could find the video compilation of surveillance video of people killed while trying to chamber a round in their gun. Carrying with an empty chamber is worse than not carrying a gun at all in my opinion and very dangerous. I know I won't be able to make you change your mind, but I wish I could.

medium187mph

Frontiersman
Trusted Trader
Jun 4, 2015
Lagrange, GA
When I was 17 I saw a guy get mugged outside of a Waffle House.

One guy bear hugged the victim from behind while the other got the wallet and phone....

Happened in seconds and they got away. Cops showed up about 30 min later.....

karlvv

The LEGEND
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
Wish I could find the video compilation of surveillance video of people killed while trying to chamber a round in their gun. Carrying with an empty trigger is worse than not carrying a gun at all in my opinion and very dangerous. I know I won't be able to make you change your mind, but I wish I could.

I've thought about it recently. I keep having dreams where I'm trying to rack a round and my pistol jams. It's kinda weird because my pistol have never jammed. Not a single failure the whole time I've owned it.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
It's not the half second it takes to chamber a round. It's that there are so many things that could go wrong trying to chamber a round under stress.

If you carried a revolver, would you feel the need for the hammer to be down on an empty chamber? Or worse, for the first cylinder to be empty?

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
I've thought about it recently. I keep having dreams where I'm trying to rack a round and my pistol jams. It's kinda weird because my pistol have never jammed. Not a single failure the whole time I've owned it.

Hell with jamming, what if you have something in your hands, or you have something on one of your hands that prevents you from getting a firm grip and causes your hand to slip. What if in the moment of panic your fine motor skills quit working and you are unable to to successfully chamber a round?

I used to carry when I wasn't out and about in a Serpa holster. I had practiced drawing my gun from that holster thousands of times, it was second nature to me. One day while fishing I got excited about the prospect of shooting something (what I won't go into detail of), but in the excitement everything I knew failed on me. I about ripped my pants off trying to draw my gun from the holster without hitting the release on the holster. I wasn't even scared, just excited.

In pistol classes when I used to carry a 1911, under stress or excitement I either missed or forgot to disengage the thumb safety on my 1911 several times over the course of a couple of years as well. Keep in mind that I carried a 1911 for years and sweeping the safety was second nature for me, hell it still is, I sweep the non existent safety on my Glocks when I draw them to this day.

Now I won't carry in a holster that requires anything more than pulling the gun out, and I won't carry a gun that has a safety. No way in hell would I carry one without a round in the chamber.

Reactions: Cudruln and DTW762

karlvv

The LEGEND
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
It's not the half second it takes to chamber a round. It's that there are so many things that could go wrong trying to chamber a round under stress.

If you carried a revolver, would you feel the need for the hammer to be down on an empty chamber? Or worse, for the first cylinder to be empty?

I do get it. It's been a progression for me. I grew up in upstate NY and didn't buy my first pistol until I was stationed down here in 2010. I first carried in 2012. I felt pretty weird the first time. After I got out in 21013 I went to Africa for a year. As soon as I got back I got my GWL and now I carry everywhere I go. I'm sure I will be there soon.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
I do get it. It's been a progression for me. I grew up in upstate NY and didn't buy my first pistol until I was stationed down here in 2010. I first carried in 2012. I felt pretty weird the first time. After I got out in 21013 I went to Africa for a year. As soon as I got back I got my GWL and now I carry everywhere I go. I'm sure I will be there soon.

A class will help. One where you draw from a holster and engage a target over and over. Assuming you don't shoot yourself in the leg, it'll get you comfortable with carrying hot.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Hell with jamming, what if you have something in your hands, or you have something on one of your hands that prevents you from getting a firm grip and causes your hand to slip. What if in the moment of panic your fine motor skills quit working and you are unable to to successfully chamber a round?

I used to carry when I wasn't out and about in a Serpa holster. I had practiced drawing my gun from that holster thousands of times, it was second nature to me. One day while fishing I got excited about the prospect of shooting something (what I won't go into detail of), but in the excitement everything I knew failed on me. I about ripped my pants off trying to draw my gun from the holster without hitting the release on the holster. I wasn't even scared, just excited.

In pistol classes when I used to carry a 1911, under stress or excitement I either missed or forgot to disengage the thumb safety on my 1911 several times over the course of a couple of years as well. Keep in mind that I carried a 1911 for years and sweeping the safety was second nature for me, hell it still is, I sweep the non existent safety on my Glocks when I draw them to this day.

Now I won't carry in a holster that requires anything more than pulling the gun out, and I won't carry a gun that has a safety. No way in hell would I carry one without a round in the chamber.
It takes a long time to develop muscle memory. I still carry the same way that I did when I was 4 years old carrying a die cast mini Colt 1911 cap gun. IWB, 4 o'clock. I wore out so many pairs of elastic waist Kmart jeans I figured I'd just stick with what was most comfortable. I had ample opportunity to practice drawing on geese, deer, robbers, whatever with that thing.
It just takes time and practice.

TattooedGunner

Frontiersman
Mar 31, 2015
Cedartown, GA
Zip code
Always. If I ever need a gun for a defensive purpose there will be enough variables I cannot control, no need for me to add more stuff into the mix. I also do not carry guns with external safeties for the reasons NWS stated.

Laces_Out_Marino

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Aug 14, 2015
CANTON, GA
Zip code
I used to carry without one in the chamber then as I am walking in the grocery store with my child in my left arm I realized I would be screwed if I were to have to draw my weapon, one in the pipe ever since then.

Reactions: Righter13