Econ Crypto-Currency Thread

GA Firing Line

chance

Tracker
Jul 15, 2015
Ga
Zip code
Can someone explain "Bitcoin mining"? Read a completely incomprehensible article about breaking puzzles to "mine" Bitcoin. Wtf
When someone submits a transaction, it has to be confirmed by multiple sources to keep things secure. Since the currencies are decentralized they rely on users to supply the computing power to confirm the transactions. For this, the people supplying the computing power are given a reward for each confirmation that is paid by a fee that the person buying or selling bitcoin.

Some of the crypto coins are profitable to mine, others use more in electricity than you make in fees. The good dedicated miner systems cost a few thousand bucks do a plug and play kit.

Reactions: Woodstock

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
How do you make gains when it crashes?

Buy the dips, crashes last about 24-48 hours. Buy it when low and it will quickly jump back up to even higher numbers. I average about 35 percent growth a month on my investments when I don't day trade so the growth is pretty steady

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
All of the red candle sticks were "crash" weeks.
47eef695fec350b9886dcb16377beaba.jpg

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
BTC has momentum, next target is $20,500 if you are a chartatier.

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
BTC has momentum, next target is $20,500 if you are a chartatier.

fd4a8149cd4fdd6e5338d07716c90eba.jpg

BTC has too high of fees and confirmations take too long. It doesn't have near the network ETH or LTC has and offers no unique features but being first mover and their market share of crypto has dropped to the low 30's.

LTC is BTC perfected and is in a slump while still processing many billions of transfers and payments, maybe second only to Ethereum network.

Reactions: chance

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
BTC is dead, buy ETH

Also my hot take is to buy REQ and XRP(even though I hate ripple)

XRB is going to blow up in the next month or so too
I've learned my lesson jumping on bandwagons.

Capture.PNG

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
fd4a8149cd4fdd6e5338d07716c90eba.jpg

BTC has too high of fees and confirmations take too long. It doesn't have near the network ETH or LTC has and offers no unique features but being first mover and their market share of crypto has dropped to the low 30's.

LTC is BTC perfected and is in a slump while still processing many billions of transfers and payments, maybe second only to Ethereum network.
I don't doubt that at all.

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
If you think crypto adoption will ever really come around, then REQ is working on some really cool payment solutions through their coins that allow intercoin payment simplification.

ETH is breaking a lot of ground with smart contracts but their network now host many smaller coins, almost every coin built on ethereum network is booming because it's a super fast low fee network.

ARK is really growing and has a competitive/democratic fee market that is enticing.

XRP is backed by banks which is kind of backwards in crypto but it makes it unique and banks hold most of the XRP so they're interested in its growth, success, and adoption.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
If you think crypto adoption will ever really come around, then REQ is working on some really cool payment solutions through their coins that allow intercoin payment simplification.

ETH is breaking a lot of ground with smart contracts but their network now host many smaller coins, almost every coin built on ethereum network is booming because it's a super fast low fee network.

ARK is really growing and has a competitive/democratic fee market that is enticing.

XRP is backed by banks which is kind of backwards in crypto but it makes it unique and banks hold most of the XRP so they're interested in its growth, success, and adoption.
A quote from a very good friend that's a financial writer, lol.

"Their only worth seems to lie in their (artificially) limited rarity. But at least with a Da Vinci or a Faberge egg, you have the fucking egg. People are paying $15000 (and soon, $25000 or $30000) for… what? It’s not even a fart in a jar. And any day, any government, can outlaw it as a way to curb crime, if it gets tired of the competition."

Reactions: Cudruln and chance

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
A quote from a very good friend that's a financial writer, lol.

"Their only worth seems to lie in their (artificially) limited rarity. But at least with a Da Vinci or a Faberge egg, you have the fucking egg. People are paying $15000 (and soon, $25000 or $30000) for… what? It’s not even a fart in a jar. And any day, any government, can outlaw it as a way to curb crime, if it gets tired of the competition."

They're is a demand for transparent ledger, decentralized payment solutions, and private ways to hold funds. That's the block chain and that's where the value is. Take a look at Venezuelans buying up all the XRB

Reactions: chance and Laufen

chance

Tracker
Jul 15, 2015
Ga
Zip code
Crypto has an uncertian future, thats for sure. But any investment does. Stocks have crashed, the USD is imaginary, silver and gold are useless chunks of metal. Its all risky. Dont invest more than you can afford to lose

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Crypto has an uncertian future, thats for sure. But any investment does. Stocks have crashed, the USD is imaginary, silver and gold are useless chunks of metal. Its all risky. Dont invest more than you can afford to lose
USD at least has the backing of the global economy and all of the lives riding on it's success. Metals offer some practical use. Cryptos...there's value but not inherently.

Woodstock

Tracker
Jun 29, 2015
Zip code
When someone submits a transaction, it has to be confirmed by multiple sources to keep things secure. Since the currencies are decentralized they rely on users to supply the computing power to confirm the transactions. For this, the people supplying the computing power are given a reward for each confirmation that is paid by a fee that the person buying or selling bitcoin.

Some of the crypto coins are profitable to mine, others use more in electricity than you make in fees. The good dedicated miner systems cost a few thousand bucks do a plug and play kit.

Buy the dips, crashes last about 24-48 hours. Buy it when low and it will quickly jump back up to even higher numbers. I average about 35 percent growth a month on my investments when I don't day trade so the growth is pretty steady

Thanks for the info.
Buying dips and crashes makes eminent sense, as long as the risk is considered.

To me it would be interesting as long as I'm using fun money, but I'm too risk adverse to put serious cash in it.

Reactions: chance

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Thanks for the info.
Buying dips and crashes makes eminent sense, as long as the risk is considered.

To me it would be interesting as long as I'm using fun money, but I'm too risk adverse to put serious cash in it.

It is definitely "high risk" but in 2017 there were no losing bets on any major exchange network