Confederate Flags ordered taken down at Kennesaw Mountain Battlefield

Howard Law

rOmiLaYu

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 25, 2015
Earth
Zip code
I'm not from the South, but I can understand preservation of heritage if that's what it is really all about...... but I suspect that's not the true cause for some.

I've never personally seen a need to fly a flag from Ohio, nor the need to fly any of the previous versions of the US flag, and I've never seen the need to fly any flags from an era 150 years ago.

I guess I'm just not as in-tune with my "heritage" as others :noidea:
I'll second this notion. I've never understood the desire or need to fly or identify with this flag. While I do understand the subtlies and the nuances of the reasons for and results of the American Civil war, I have always found it peculiar that it so "celebrated." "The South" will never "rise again" and the people who want it to really aren't the kind of people that I would want in charge of anything to begin with. You can call it whatever you want and throw around slogans like "Heritage not Hate" all you want but it has been my experience that the opposite is more often than not the case. I can still remember guys walking around my jr. High and high schools with shirts on that said "you wear your "x"" on the front (refering to Malcom X) and then on the back it would say "I'll wear mine." and it had the Confederate Naval Jack under it. Having lived in the South my entire life, I believe that I can say the overwhelming majority of my experience is that people who make so much of this flag do so from a bigoted and ignorant worldview, not one of "heritage."

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
I'll second this notion. I've never understood the desire or need to fly or identify with this flag. While I do understand the subtlies and the nuances of the reasons for and results of the American Civil war, I have always found it peculiar that it so "celebrated." "The South" will never "rise again" and the people who want it to really aren't the kind of people that I would want in charge of anything to begin with. You can call it whatever you want and throw around slogans like "Heritage not Hate" all you want but it has been my experience that the opposite is more often than not the case. I can still remember guys walking around my jr. High and high schools with shirts on that said "you wear your "x"" on the front (refering to Malcom X) and then on the back it would say "I'll wear mine." and it had the Confederate Naval Jack under it. Having lived in the South my entire life, I believe that I can say the overwhelming majority of my experience is that people who make so much of this flag do so from a bigoted and ignorant worldview, not one of "heritage."

We get it..you're smarter than everyone

rOmiLaYu

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 25, 2015
Earth
Zip code
We get it..you're smarter than everyone
I've been told that I'm a sophisticate but I don't believe it.

I just don't buy the rhetoric, sorry. I know that there are some people out there who cherish that flag due to history and family and all that...and I believe them. But they are very few and far between. Just scan through some of the threads about it both here and over there....the thinly veiled bigotry and animosity are everywhere.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
I dunno how sophisticated you can be with a beard...hipster yes..."operator" yes...lol

madHatter

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Fuckville
image.jpg

Reactions: Shemp