Competency-based Handgun & Carbine, Feb 24-25, Aragon GA

Howard Law

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
Precision Applications, LLC will be holding a Competency-based Handgun & Carbine Course in Aragon GA on Saturday and Sunday, February 24-25.

Both days will start at 0800hrs and run until approximately 1700hrs, with a 1 hour break for lunch.

Saturday, February 24 is Handgun and Sunday, February 25 is Carbine. You can take one or both days.

This course is unlike the classes we normally offer. Our Competency-based course consists of drills that are timed and scored. Students will be given a copy of all the drills and standards after the course. These drills can be used for practice and to gauge your individual progress over time. The Instructors will show you how to modify the drills to set attainable goals that gradually get more difficult.

The drills will work on such skill sets as drawing/presentations, reloads, use of cover, shooting while moving, multiple threat engagement, weapon transitions, and more.

On Day 1 you will shoot the Tactical Pistol Course for score. On Day 2 you will shoot the Tactical Carbine Course for score. Pass either of the courses and you will be awarded a Challenge Coin.

Day 1 gear list:
Handgun with holster (revolver or semi-automatic)
Magazines/speedloaders. If your handgun holds 12 or more rounds, a minimum of 2 reloads on your person is recommended. If your handgun holds less than 12 rounds, then 4 reloads are recommended
Pouch for your reloading devices
500rds of ammunition
Eye and ear protection
Hat with a front brim
Plenty of water

Day 2 gear list:
Carbine with sling
Handgun with holster, minimum 1 spare mag on your person
600 rounds for the carbine
100 rounds for the handgun
Minimum of 2 carbine magazines on your person for reloads. I recommend at least 8 magazines total for the course.
Eye and ear protection
Hat with a front brim
Plenty of water

Your particular gear is up to you; warbelts, vests, suspenders, etc. Body armor and/or helmets are welcome if you choose to wear them, as are suppressors. Your carbine needs to be sighted in and ready to go, we will not be zeroing.

Dress appropriately for the weather, whatever it will be. Comfortable attire and shoes/boots are a must. Bring plenty of water.

Lunch will be provided on the range, as an option, and will consist of freshly smoked pulled pork, soft drink or water, chips, and dessert on Day 1, and a burger with all the fixings, soft drink or water, chips, and dessert on Day 2. Cost for lunch is $15 per day. Lunch must be requested and paid for when you pay for the course. If you do not wish to purchase lunch, I recommend that you pack a lunch as there are few options in the area.

The course is limited to 20 students. Course fee is $200 for one day, or $350 for both days. Course fees are to be paid in advance. We accept checks, money orders, cash and discrete PayPal (you pay the 3.5% fees). Your spot is not guaranteed until your course fee is received.

Do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Semper Fi!

Precision Applications, LLC

Last edited:

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
One of the good things about this course is that all students will take away the courses of fire with them, as well as being shown how to modify the drills if they need to set attainable goals.

Most shooters “plink” when they go to the range, or practice skills they’ve already mastered. Break this cycle and get the drills that will help you.

This is the only time I plan to offer this course this year

Reactions: Leshaire

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
Class went very well, both days. I actually got a very slight sunburn on Saturday, while it was cloudy on Sunday. Rain wasn’t very bad on Sunday, just a drizzle now and then.

Even better than the weather was a great bunch of folks. I’d rather have crap weather and good students than the other way around.

This particular course was all about weapon manipulation and fundamentals. I have many other carbine and rifle courses where the engagement distances are lot longer longer than what was used in this particular course. I’ve also run a 2-day, carbine-only version where Day 1 is what we did in this advertised course and Day 2 at longer ranges; from 50 yards out to 300 yards. That’s for another day!

In nearly all my pistol and carbine courses, I introduce the students to a “qualification” course towards the end of the day; the Tactical Pistol Course and the Tactical Carbine Course. The TPC is nothing more than the old Air Marshal TPC, feel free to Google it if you’d like the course of fire. The TCC is a course I designed. Both courses involve shooting from the holster and ready positions, tactical and emergency reloads, multiple threat engagements, and engagements to the rear. Any student that passes on their first try earns a challenge coin. Over the years I’ve had 2-3 students earn a coin for the TPC and 3-4 for the TCC, so it’s not easily earned. One of the other students in the class came very close to passing the TCC.

Hope to see y’all again in future classes.

Semper Fi!

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
In nearly all my pistol and carbine courses, I introduce the students to a “qualification” course towards the end of the day; the Tactical Pistol Course and the Tactical Carbine Course. The TPC is nothing more than the old Air Marshal TPC, feel free to Google it if you’d like the course of fire. The TCC is a course I designed. Both courses involve shooting from the holster and ready positions, tactical and emergency reloads, multiple threat engagements, and engagements to the rear. Any student that passes on their first try earns a challenge coin. Over the years I’ve had 2-3 students earn a coin for the TPC and 3-4 for the TCC, so it’s not easily earned. One of the other students in the class came very close to passing the TCC.
Semper Fi!

That was me lol. It was pretty frustrating too since I scored 1 single point away from passing and on several of the longer courses of fire I had over 3 seconds to spare each... Plentyyyyy of time to make one more shot within the 8 inch target and easily pass. Oh well!

So basically what he's saying is, I'm the 3-4th best carbine shooter he's had over the years ;)
Get some of these apples @Red Dawn

TattooedGunner

Frontiersman
Mar 31, 2015
Cedartown, GA
Zip code
That was me lol. It was pretty frustrating too since I scored 1 single point away from passing and on several of the longer courses of fire I had over 3 seconds to spare each... Plentyyyyy of time to make one more shot within the 8 inch target and easily pass. Oh well!

So basically what he's saying is, I'm the 3-4th best carbine shooter he's had over the years ;)
Get some of these apples @Red Dawn

Man, we did the pistol version Saturday, and I wasn't even close to getting it. Makes me want to get a shot timer and practice.