Colt Government Model 1911 A1 cal. .22 LR (Walther)

American Revival Apparel Company

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
Colt191122LRNoSn.jpg

I was out making the rounds today. Sportsman’s Warehouse had a Colt Government Model 1911 A1 Cal 22LR. on hand. I own a stack of 22 revolvers and pistols but this one I’d been hearing and reading about so it was on my “List”. I’ve read reports that it capable of doing groups under 1.5” at 25 yards. It also has excellent reports on being capable of shooting various ammunition reliably, even the cheap stuff.

Colt191122LRLft.jpg

It’s touted as being a classic configuration of the Colt 1911 A1, except it’s a .22LR. Carl Walther manufactures it under a license from Colt. It’s touted as being the only genuine Colt tactical rimfire replica available in the world. So with a raging pony stamp on what looks to be a solid made Walter’s firearm it should be interesting.

Colt Government Model 1911 22 LR Semi-Auto Pistol from Umarex USA - Gunblast.com

Jeff Quinn does a review.

http://www.waltherarms.com/products/tactical-rimfire-replicas/government-1911-a1/

Walther is not above touting their product and blowing a horn or two.

Anyway I picked it up for $365.93. I’m over due for a range trip this month, so we shall see how she fares at living up to her reputation. I haven’t bought any new pistols since early August and have been resisting the urge but this one was just too good to pass on.

I

iacountryboy

Very nice. Also let us know where and when you find "the cheap stuff". LOL :D

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
iacountryboy said:
Very nice. Also let us know where and when you find "the cheap stuff". LOL :D

I have that "Deja Vu" feeling back in November before the last Presidential Election. After the last ammo drought I stocked up, just in case. Since then I've snagged a few boxes to replace anything shot up during range trips. Making the rounds today I've noticed the shelves are again bare. Such is life.

R

rayzer007

It's nice to have this classic, functioning, workhorse mixed in with your collection of non shooting antiques; a great addition. Good pick-up Bill! 8)

Ray

M

mukwah

Just something about the name "Colt" on a gun that makes me want one!!! :)

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
rayzer007 said:
It's nice to have this classic, functioning, workhorse mixed in with your collection of non shooting antiques; a great addition. Good pick-up Bill! 8)

Ray

I'd been keeping my eye out for one. Palmetto State Armory had one earlier in the year that I missed. The Sportsman's Warehouse lays in the Colt Government, Colt Rail Gun and the Colt Gold Cup. I loved the classic look of the Government Model, so that was it. She's definitely not going to be a Safe Queen.

While I was doing the paperwork a retired Real Estate Agent, Cadillac Queen (55-60 Year Old divorcee type) with loads of jewelry and expensive clothes, with a beach house in Myrtle Beach, is looking at a S&W 1911, 45 ACP, dressed out to look like a Kimber. She asked me what I thought and should she buy it? Depends if you're looking for a shooter for the range, a gun for self defense. in the home or for carrying?

She couldn't rack the slide. So I suggested an LC380. She tried that and liked the action. But she opted for the LC9 instead. The kid working the counter was getting annoyed and I reminded him that he wasn't getting a commission and should chill out. So then the Lady says she'll take both the S&W and the Ruger. I'd suspect the S&W is for a boyfriend and she'll keep the 9mm. She made sure I got her telephone number but I wasn't interested, I know a land shark or pirate when I see one.

So I got my Colt and left. I've never has any trouble meeting women, it's all that "afterwards" part, with complications that involve a judge and a couple of attorneys to get things straightened out that keeps me in line. The kid behind the counter was a happy camper, since he'd got a 2 for 1 sale.

R

rayzer007

Slowhand said:
I loved the classic look of the Government Model, so that was it.

Back in '77 I was working with a fellow that I really admired who carried a big 'ol Colt Govt. Model .45 in a shoulder holster (I had a Detective Special in a Steve McQueen "Bullitt" rig). He was a fairly big guy, but the gun was still huge. I resolved to get one some day, and ended up with an early 80's Combat Commander. It came with an Alessi shoulder rig, an IWB Bianchi, and a SafariLand pancake OWB along with a few extra mags and several boxes of rounds - it was a dream come true! There's nothing like the Colts; I still like to look at them - they are indeed classics!

Ray

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
rayzer007 said:
Slowhand said:
I loved the classic look of the Government Model, so that was it.

Back in '77 I was working with a fellow that I really admired who carried a big 'ol Colt Govt. Model .45 in a shoulder holster (I had a Detective Special in a Steve McQueen "Bullitt" rig). He was a fairly big guy, but the gun was still huge. I resolved to get one some day, and ended up with an early 80's Combat Commander. It came with an Alessi shoulder rig, an IWB Bianchi, and a SafariLand pancake OWB along with a few extra mags and several boxes of rounds - it was a dream come true! There's nothing like the Colts; I still like to look at them - they are indeed classics!

Ray

I'm a big fan of shoulder holsters. Especially during the fall and winter months. I'll stick a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan .44 Mag, revolver under the left arm, sitting in a Roscoe Holster I had made in Ft. Worth. That's some real heavy metal.

M

mukwah

I like shoulder holsters also and have several. This one I'm really looking forward to carrying this fall and winter. My Tracker .44 Mag in a Triple K vertical.
usu7usuh.jpg

Sent from my Droid RAZR using my trigger finger!

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
mukwah said:
I like shoulder holsters also and have several. This one I'm really looking forward to carrying this fall and winter. My Tracker .44 Mag in a Triple K vertical.
usu7usuh.jpg

JRRoscoeHolster4mxd.gif

Nice looking shoulder holster. This one is has a 2.5 in barrel. I've always been a fan of Redhawks and Blackhawks but held off until I ran into one suited for concealed carry.

M

mukwah

Ahh yes! The Alaskan is another jewel!!! Hopeful acquisition for me one day!

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
mukwah said:
Ahh yes! The Alaskan is another jewel!!! Hopeful acquisition for me one day!

It was rather hard to find a holster locally and due to the weight a conventional rig wasn't going to hack it. I got in touch with J.R. Roscoe in Ft. Worth and the cooked this one up for me based on measurements. The cant is perfect, under the shoulder. The rough looking bottom part was a necessity in bearing the weight, the dressed out leather was not going to hack it.

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
PARTSID-D.jpg

I disassembled and cleaned the Colt Walther this evening. The instructions could have been a bit clearer and the classic instructions “To assemble, reverse the steps.” always leaves out some of the “fun” stuff and a few of the little extra things to know that make it easier.

Back in the old days if you wanted a copy of the owners instructions you had to call the company and request they send you one. Now a day you can hit the Walther web site, find the weapon, look under specifications and there is a PDF File. Down load it, save it to your hard drive and there it is.

Plus you can go online and find some videos. But you have to be careful about some of them. The assembly starts out OK. But in the re-assembly some throw in a few twists of their own and its fun to watch.

Basically you put the slide back on and line up the slide release notch, then angle the pin on the slide lock lever and push it back in. Then it’s the spring, with the cap or spring plug on top press it into the slide onto the top of the guide rod. Hold the spring in, replace the barrel bushing insuring it’s turned down to the center. Rack the slide and check to see if the trigger and safety work. I’m not dry firing this puppy, without a plastic plug.

22 semiautomatics are always real fun to clean, with smaller parts and loads of crevices or tight spots. That is why I prefer cleaning the larger calibers where you can just mop it all out. Except for the outer 1911 characteristics, internally the design on the block on the slide containing the firing pin and extractor look like a Sig or GSG production. So does the barrel and chamber area on the lower receiver group, except they’re heavier and better machined.

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
I ordered two 12 round magazines today from Walther in Arizona. $38.80 each. with FedEx delivery: $87.55.

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
10-01-1322LR.jpg

I was picking up some fishing gear today and noticed one of the guys putting out some 500 round boxes of Remington 22 Thunderbolts, 40 grain, with lead round noses. They run 1255 fps out the muzzle. So they should make for a neat range trip with my latest purchase. Last time I saw the large packs was March of this year.

There were 6 boxes sitting on the shelf. Per rationing I was only allowed to buy one box. $23.99 well spent.