Colorado recall

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
I don't want this to be political as in Republican this or Democrat that, but we have something to celebrate. With help from the NRA, which I have not always been a big fan of, Colorado voters just pinned the ears back on the anti-2nd Amendment crowd. :D

R

rayzer007

Is there an article you can post on this BDD? I got so sick of being irritated and depressed by the news, that I went into a "news blackout" about 6 months ago. I don't read, watch, or listen to the news anymore, so I don't know what happened in this case. I seem to be much more upbeat now, by the way! ;D

Ray

R

rayzer007

Trigger_1 said:
Its about time they got fired.... :p

This needs to happen coast to coast..... :p :p :p :p

I hope it continues in New York State! The arms makers (Remington, etc.) are all considering leaving.

Ray

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
Having been a long time member of the NRA, I appreciate their efforts, who along with several other Pro 2nd Amendment Groups, contributed over $350,000.00 to counter the same amount allegedly spent by Bloomberg and his cronies to stop the recall. We need the same thing to happen in other States.

As far as putting politics aside, the lines are drawn pretty clear where both sides interests lay. Those politicians in Colorado thought they were immune and hopefully learned a lesson and others of their kind will think twice before crossing the line with inane, feel good gun control laws that do nothing but disarm honest, law abiding folks. A real celebration would be in order, if they repealed or amended the laws that were passed.

Meanwhile, California passed a law banning new sales magazines for semi-automatic weapons and requiring current owners to register their firearms. The registry is of course another brick in the wall towards confiscation. Guess which political party controls the state?

I go along with the NRA which supports meaningful efforts to address the problems of violent crime and mass violence in America, through swift and certain prosecution of violent criminals; securing our schools; and fixing our broken mental health system. Any gun owner who thinks that certain politicians have any real respect for the 2nd Amendment, and starts buying off on their so called "common sense laws" is delusional. Sure they'd be delighted if we left the "politics" out of it.

Loads of people who don't live in those cities with the highest violent crime and murder rates, thanks to having the strictest gun control in the country, know better.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Let me clear about the NRA comment in the start of the thread. I believe in what the NRA stands for. My problem with them is that they often are bogged down in "preaching to the choir" and asking us for more money and don't do enough to win and educate the public. Some of the public are clearly anti-gun and are unreachable. But a bigger percentage are not dug in and just believe the BS the anti-gunners throw around.

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
I don't want to dilute this discussion, but there is also the stigma of labeling anyone "Mentally Ill" and having nothing but negative perceptions dictating any possible member of that club as being a certified threat to the community.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21890032

Our lawmakers just seem to want to categorize, classify, and minimize as much of the population that they possibly can. Is it democrat or republican? They're both culpable.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
The mental illness issue is definitely something that simply has to be looked into, but it is a slippery slope. I am actually medicated for severe claustrophobia, which is a form of mental illness so to speak. While I am not a kook, it finally reached a point where I could not lay on my back and look at the ceiling without feeling trapped. Even putting on a pullover sweatshirt became a problem. I knew it was ridiculous, but still could not will it away. So in the future will some Fed group come and take my guns because I am a nut? I hope not. As always, we will need to be vigilant as this progresses.

BTW, while I realize this is going out on the worldwideweb, I share it here among friends. I used to be really embarrassed about it but not anymore. I couldn't control it and finally decided enough is enough. The fix was a simple prescription, but due to the stigma I did not seek help for many years. Now I know I could have beaten that a long time ago. Live and learn.

R

rayzer007

bigdogdaddy said:
So in the future will some Fed group come and take my guns because I am a nut? I hope not. As always, we will need to be vigilant as this progresses.

"Inordinate Affective Gun Disorder" (a very strong fondness for weapons) will no doubt be a psychiatric classification some day soon if the liberals keep getting their way. Then they can take the guns away from the newly defined "nuts" (us). Who determines who is crazy and a threat anyway.... something to think about ....?! ;)

Ray

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
bigdogdaddy said:
"Inordinate Affective Gun Disorder"

I am doomed. ;D
Love it!

At the same time... You are absolutely correct that an obscure "mental illness" diagnosis is possibly the slipperiest of slopes.

Subtle and extremely dangerous.

R

rayzer007

Take Coop for example - he's always buying guns, shooting guns, fixing guns, cleaning guns, talking about guns. Even his avatar has him pointing a gun at the camera. He has his poor wife carrying a gun now. His neighbors have heard him laughing and getting very excited when he target practices. Surely he has Inordinate Affective Gun Disorder and should be put on medication, thereby rendering him disqualified from possessing any firearms! ............................ And that's how it will start my friends ............. :( :( :(

Ray
(I thought I would use you as an example Rich, being a friend, and knowing you would not take it the wrong way. Any of us could be so described).

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
rayzer007 said:
Surely he has Inordinate Affective Gun Disorder and should be put on medication, thereby rendering him disqualified from possessing any firearms! ............................ And that's how it will start my friends ............. :( :( :(

Ray
Maybe that's how it will CONTINUE. Even the NRA, as a proponent of mental illness exclusions, may not have picked up on this nuance...

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
3Coyotes said:
rayzer007 said:
Surely he has Inordinate Affective Gun Disorder and should be put on medication, thereby rendering him disqualified from possessing any firearms! ............................ And that's how it will start my friends ............. :( :( :(

Ray
Maybe that's how it will CONTINUE. Even the NRA, as a proponent of mental illness exclusions, may not have picked up on this nuance...

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/state-legislation/2013/4/south-carolina-mental-health-reform-bill-to-be-considered-by-the-senate.aspx?s=%22mental+health%22&st=&ps=

They picked up on it. The NRA supported the mental health bill.

http://www.islandpacket.com/2013/05/03/2489075/gov-nikki-haley-signs-bill-requiring.html

South Carolina passed a new law this year that requires state courts and the S.C. State Law Enforcement Division to report people who have been deemed mentally ill to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, which is used for background checks of those seeking to purchase handguns. But ….It also requires the decree of mental illness to come from a court, on the grounds that the person is either mentally incompetent or a danger to other people.

This law came about because a young lady with a long history of mental illness, which involved threats being made, involuntary commitment to a mentally institution, and forced medication. After being declared mentally incompetent and a plea of not guilty by reason of insanity, the charges were dropped.

Later on she trots down to a local gun shop, fills out a BATF Form 4473 and buys herself a firearm. The FBI folks at NCIS approve, but their database did not include the 2005 and 2009 federal court records, no red flags pop up. She goes down to a local school house, as described in the link and all heck breaks loose.

http://blogs.lawyers.com/2013/08/mentally-ill-may-own-long-guns-in-south-carolina/

Our politicians did make a mistake though. While in one section the statute refers to people unfit to “carry or possess a firearm,” it subsequently states that such people cannot “possess or acquire handguns” not rifles. So the young fellow in the above story got his rifles back but not his pistols.

When they come back in session in January they'll have to wade through making some changes to fine tune it.

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
It does sound like there is an effort by some to apply reasonable standards in terms of balancing mental illness and 2A rights.

Still, it is a "weasel clause" that could be very useful to gun grabbers. It remains a very slippery slope.

R

rayzer007

Ain't nuthin' simple anymore! That's why some of the proposed bills are thousands of pages long. This medical care mess the nation is currently dealing with will show how impossible it is to legislate common sense! ??? :-\

Ray

TRIGGER_1

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
Athens, GA USA
rayzer007 said:
Ain't nuthin' simple anymore! That's why some of the proposed bills are thousands of pages long. This medical care mess the nation is currently dealing with will show how impossible it is to legislate common sense! ??? :-\

Ray

We can start by getting new government officials with some common sense... ;)

R

rayzer007

Trigger_1 said:
We can start by getting new government officials with some common sense... ;)

I don't know Trig, government officials with common sense haven't shown up in the nation's 237 years that I'm aware of; I suppose there's always that possibility though.

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.