Cobra Firearms model CA380

Howard Law

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
Cobra38023.jpg

I was out making the rounds yesterday and ran into a Cobra 380. A interesting little piece. These little 380s are made by Cobra Arms, in Salt Lake City, Utah. It has a 5 round magazine. An alloy frame, gives it a weight of 22 ounces. It’s 5.4” overall in length and has a 4” height.

Cobra38021-1.jpg

Cobra Firearms is reputed to have obtained a lot of manufacturing machinery from Bryco/Davis/Jennings or Lorcin when they went out of business years back. They have been in business for about 10 years.

Their products are reputed to be copies of KT and NAA. They advertise themselves as being one of the Top 10 Gun Manufacturers in the country. A claim some would refute. They make a line of reproductions of Derringers. The Cobra CA380 is reputed to be modeled after a Davis P380.

You might hear the term Zamak or pot metal used in reference to them. These little puppies, made for the Average Joe, they run about $150. down South. So it a Saturday Night Special Sort of thing.

Cobra380ampRugerLCP380.jpg

It’s about the same size as the Ruger LCP. I took her apart, cleaned her up and will give her a range trip to see what’s there.

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
04-11-13RangeTrip.jpg

I made it out to the range yesterday. I took the Cobra 380 and an Ruger LC380. I ran 2 magazines through the Cobra 380, 10 rounds total. Less recoil and snap, due to the weight and design. Up close and personal at 5 Yards, with some practice, she could do the job. Beyond that or more than 7 Yards things get rough. Typical Mouse Gun.

I the put 40 rounds of Fiocchi 380 ACP 95 Grain FMJ through the Ruger LCP. Not bad, I fired their 45 ACPs before but first time out with their .380. I then ran 50 Remington UMC 380 Auto 95 Grain through the gun. No problems.

I also fired a magazine full through a friends Walther PPK 380. Real Sweet. It was a Bucket List purchase for him and he was tickled pink when I laid out some head shots with it. He also ran 50 rounds through a Ruger LC380, that he'd put a CT Laser on. Dead on, now he's having second thoughts about giving it to her for her birthday. LOL. Strange how that works? Go figure.

RugerLC380wCobra.jpg

It was around 90 Degrees inside and yours truly was sweating profusely and called it a day.

The Cobra? With some practice and fine tuning she'd be alright but nothing impressive. The Ruger LC380 is what they claimed when they made it, a great shooting gun. The Walther PPK was nice but I prefer the Walther PPK S-1. Guns and ammo are like cars, trucks and SUVs each manufacturer has it's own appeals. some you like, some you don't.

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
Verticoli said:
Trigger_1 said:
Verticoli said:
I had a Davis 380 and it was a hoot.

Did you trade it off for something else...... :-\

Sold it. It shot well enough 'cause I shot a quarter sized target at 21 ft. I didn't like the safety deal compaired with Elsie

LexingtonGunampPawnIn.jpg

At 7 yards, it might take some practice but that can happen.

I didn’t much care for the safety and other internal parts on it either. But you get what you pay for. Another one of those “Curio” period pieces for the collection. Raven, Cobra, Bryco, Davis, Jennings or Lorcin are all bird of the same feather.

I was out with a friend, heading for the Flea Market to get a couple of old 5.56mm Ammo cans. They used to cost $7.00, now they’re up to $10. I’ve seen them at Gun Show going for $15.00.

We stopped at one of the local Pawn & Gun Shops. They had one of those old Cobra 380s, just like mine. Asking price was $250.00. LOL. I not cheap, I'm just not easy.

The place is stacked with shotguns, rifles and hand guns. All MSRP or more. They have ammunition, but its way over priced. Nothing is moving, except the pawn business. These are the same guys who were jacking up prices back in 2008. First time in 2 years since I'd been in the joint. I plan on skipping it for a few more.

Speaking of .380 Caliber ammunition, the shops in town are out of it. Plenty of 9mm, but no .380. Good thing I stocked up after the last range trip.

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
They price gouge on ammo sales. Unfortunately they have a great collection of antique and modern firearms. They will not negotiate and thus they have a rather large inventory.

TRIGGER_1

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
Athens, GA USA
Wowww......That's to bad.....That's kinda like some car stealerships here in Georgia... :mad:

Some business folks just don't understand making profit on volume sales..... :-\

Verticoli

Personal philosophy? Clothing optional.
Jun 10, 2012
Fl's west coast
Yep, I was looking at an older Ruger, I guess you'd call it a Mk 1, $350. Plus tax and a $5 federal check. I expected a little wiggle room on a used gun but no way. And ammo was remington Gold Bullets, $20 for a bag of 100. One bag a day limit. I told 'em I'd get my car out of their parking lot. This was a new shop too and I'm a buyer, a cash buyer too. Never going back

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
Verticoli said:
Yep, I was looking at an older Ruger, I guess you'd call it a Mk 1, $350. Plus tax and a $5 federal check. I expected a little wiggle room on a used gun but no way. And ammo was remington Gold Bullets, $20 for a bag of 100. One bag a day limit. I told 'em I'd get my car out of their parking lot. This was a new shop too and I'm a buyer, a cash buyer too. Never going back

Understand the never again thing. I very rarely pay sticker price, on a used firearm. The guy who owns this place focuses mainly on the Pawn part of the business. He had a great looking, older, Mauser 7.62 Bolt Action Rifle. That was tagged for $365. I offered $300. Just to check the water.

He laughs and says he needs $400.00. Hardly a wiggle in the right direction. I say no thanks and we start to walk out. The guy starts whistling "March of the Gladiators". Which is an old circus song used to bring in the clowns. My friend asks, if he trying to be funny? I explained "Nope, He's just being a clown".

So I got a rude fellow, who obviously isn't interested in selling firearms. The dusty shelves say a lot. I'd don't know how he's making his money but he sure as heck isn't getting any of mine. I don't mind paying a bit more in some situations, for something I want. I also know that the next time I'll recover the extra on a good deal for something else.