Cleaning a Sionics NP3-coated BCG

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

BangBang

Apprentice to master AR builder Greg Vess
Aug 26, 2018
Danielsville
Zip code
Usually when I go to the range I take several rifles with me so I really don't put more than a couple hundred rounds through one gun or so ( most of the time ) then I change guns and shoot it so I might shoot 1,000 rounds just not in the same gun. So I really don't get a bolt that is that dirty. I have a few times but not often.

Nickle boron bolt carrier groups are brilliant additions to a AR that are being shot a lot. Most of it can be cleaned with a solvent moist cloth or just a paper towel in most cases. When it comes to the bolt it is just going to require a little more elbow grease. I like the Daniel Defense 6.8 Phosphate bolts and BCG's.They are harder to clean but I think they are worth it. I can say that sometimes it seems that no matter how many solvent soaked patches you use you still get a little carbon on it but eventually it comes clean.

They make a tool especially for cleaning that area of the bolt. It may help shorten the process for you. That tool is cheap and very effective for the heavier shot rifles. Those little brass brushes are very effective when dipped in solvent. I buy them by the hand full at harbor freight so I can just chuck it when it goes flat or is too soiled. The brass brushes are very effective at removing discoloration on stainless guns when dipped in solvent as well.Like on the inside of a 1911 on the frame and slide. Just don't use them on the outside where the finish is polished or brushed from the factory. They make a tool especially for cleaning that area of the bolt. It may help shorten the process for you. You know knock of some of the heavier spots.

I think this answers @BangBang question better. I was bored so I wanted to clarify this. However this does not and should not reflect any other shooters process. Each has their own and it's what ever works best for them.
I’ve actually got a Nickle Boron coated BCG in one of my AR’s and I definitely agree with you that it’s a whole lot easier to clean than a phosphate BCG.

I’ve been seeing some BCG’s for sale lately with “DLC” coating. Have you tried any of those yet?

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
I’ve actually got a Nickle Boron coated BCG in one of my AR’s and I definitely agree with you that it’s a whole lot easier to clean than a phosphate BCG.

I’ve been seeing some BCG’s for sale lately with “DLC” coating. Have you tried any of those yet?

I haven’t used a DLC-coated BCG, but I have several firearms and firearm parts that are DLC’ed. Works great on what I’ve used it on, but not 100% sure how well it would work on a BCG. It should work fine, it’s very hard and smooth.

The plus that NP3 has the NiB, DLC, TiN and others don’t have is built-in lubricity. NP3 is Teflon-impregnated nickel. As the part wears it constantly releases more Teflon. I’ve got a buddy who has a Beretta 92 and a SIG P226, both plated totally in NP3. He has shot those guns heavily over the years that he has owned them and says that he has never lubed them. States they don’t malfunction and are a breeze to clean.

Some possible issues with NiB bolts are hydrogen embrittlement and dimension problems. Hydrogen embrittlement leads to chipping and premature cracking around the cam pin bore in the bolt, premature bolt lug breakage, premature extractor failure. At least, those are the issues I have seen.

Thickness of NiB plating can vary wildly, from about .0001 - .003. A thick coating can cause dimensial issues between parts, to the point that it throws off the headspace to an unacceptable level. NP3 is

Reactions: BangBang

The Mechanic

Hunter
Oct 12, 2018
acworth
Zip code

To be perfectly honest I haven't even heard of it yet. I really haven't been doing my reading and new product research. It's amazing that every so often comes a new hot coating. Now that have mentioned it I will have to read up on it and if it sounds solid I will put one in this relatively new DDV5V4 upper I scored for a steal. Shit that reminds me I have to find a lower for that this weekend.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
To be perfectly honest I haven't even heard of it yet. I really haven't been doing my reading and new product research. It's amazing that every so often comes a new hot coating. Now that have mentioned it I will have to read up on it and if it sounds solid I will put one in this relatively new DDV5V4 upper I scored for a steal. Shit that reminds me I have to find a lower for that this weekend.

You’ve heard of it by a different name. DLC/Tenifer/IonBond/Melonite, all trades names for the same thing.

The Mechanic

Hunter
Oct 12, 2018
acworth
Zip code
You’ve heard of it by a different name. DLC/Tenifer/IonBond/Melonite, all trades names for the same thing.
Oh Ok! Melonite, absolutely good stuff. Was highly recommended in one of the AR magazines for barrels that are not hammer forged. I use one myself in a ARP offering. Very nice offering with flute 5/8x24 barrel threads. Absolutely spot on barrels. I have many barrels in this coating and never had a problem. I own everything from coated gas tubes to coated adj. gas blocks with this coating and they are nice and easy to clean.

The Mechanic

Hunter
Oct 12, 2018
acworth
Zip code
Nitride would definitely be easier to clean. It's nice and slick. Almost, almost not just like teflon but very similar when you rub you finger across it. Makes a big difference.

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code

the advertising for DLC claims that it’s better/harder/different than a melonite/nitride/QPQ/tennifer finish.

i’m not saying that’s true - just that the claim is out there.

Reactions: cmshoot