Chinese Type 56 SKS

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

BubbaDX

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I thought I would show everyone my new toy. I recently purchased a very used Chinese type 56 SKS from J&G. This is one of the recent imports of pre-vietnam era SKS rifles. With my C&R they shipped it to my door, how cool is that. When I opened it up, it was packed with grease and pretty dirty. But the bore looks fantastic. A couple things about this SKS that I find exciting. It has been issued and at bare minimum was used for training. It's also an early Chinese SKS so all the parts are milled, not stamped. It also has the blade style bayonet that I prefer over the spike. Here are a couple pictures.

R

rayzer007

Congratulations Bubba! That'll be a fun project to restore and shoot. What is a "C&R"?

Ray

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
I had a military-issue SKS for a while and then traded it for the one I have now which had been "sporterized". The wood stock parts are replaced by a one-piece stock made of some sort of plastic. The bayonet and bayonet mount are gone.

The one thing that I found really important to do to make it a decent shooter was significant work on the trigger.

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
I'd just clean it. I wouldn't change the cosmetics at all. It has a nice "lived in" look.

BubbaDX

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I will clean it a little and oil it plenty. I plan to leave it with the well worn look. It's had a long life and has a story to tell, I don't want to remove its history. I did some cleaning on the stock with Hoppes to remove the grease it was packed in. But I will give it lemon oil after that. I cleaned all the metal parts thoroughly and oiled liberally. I plan to order a headspace gauge just to make sure its safe to shoot. Then its off to the range. I already purchased 1000 rounds of ammo from sgammo. That should keep me busy for a little while.