Howard Law

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Hello guys, I've always been attracted to the old style wild west guns. I would be interested in getting into this, but I could use some help in gun selection. I'd like to see everyone's set up, and what they like/dislike about it. Thanks for everyone's help in advance.

coach482

Hunter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 19, 2015
Conyers GA
Zip code
I suggest you go to a match and look around. It really is personal preference on what you have and shoot. More shoot 38/357 than any other caliber. The women tend to shoot 32s but not all. Some prefer black powder, some shoot 44s. I shoot 45 colt and usually there are a couple other shooting it also. Last match I was at I was the only 45 shooter. You can go to the limits of your wallet with the level of competition guns. Most all have had action work to make them more reliable and faster. This is not required and if you have any gunsmith skills and youtube a lot can be done yourself. I use old model Ruger Vaqueros and replaced the springs and polished the internals myself. My rifle is an 1873 Uberti with the action work by Cody. (Codymatic). I started with a 12 ga Bounty hunter but quickly upgraded to an SKB 100 with action work done by Colt McAlaster. There are lots of used guns with actions already tuned available.

Reactions: Rwjeter

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
I suggest you go to a match and look around. It really is personal preference on what you have and shoot. More shoot 38/357 than any other caliber. The women tend to shoot 32s but not all. Some prefer black powder, some shoot 44s. I shoot 45 colt and usually there are a couple other shooting it also. Last match I was at I was the only 45 shooter. You can go to the limits of your wallet with the level of competition guns. Most all have had action work to make them more reliable and faster. This is not required and if you have any gunsmith skills and youtube a lot can be done yourself. I use old model Ruger Vaqueros and replaced the springs and polished the internals myself. My rifle is an 1873 Uberti with the action work by Cody. (Codymatic). I started with a 12 ga Bounty hunter but quickly upgraded to an SKB 100 with action work done by Colt McAlaster. There are lots of used guns with actions already tuned available.
I'm assuming there are separate shotgun classes? 1887/1897 vs SXS? Currently I have an Uplander with a straight English stock and double triggers. Is there a rimfire class? I have a Ruger single six as well.

Reactions: freedom

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
Winchester 1897 and SxS shotguns are in the same class......you can only load a total of 2 rounds in the 1897 at a time.

If you want to be really competitive, your best bet is Ruger Vaqueros in .38/.357 for wheelguns. I shoot CAS cuz I wanna shoot cowboy guns, so I use Colt SAA's in .45 Colt.

The 1873 carbines and short rifles are slick and a short-throw kit will quicken it up. I've run the same Rossi 92 for almost 20 years. I bought it cuz I was short on money and they were cheap. I've kept it because it's accurate and reliable. I did slick the action up myself.

I shoot Gunfighter Class. That's a revolver in each hand and alternating fire.

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Winchester 1897 and SxS shotguns are in the same class......you can only load a total of 2 rounds in the 1897 at a time.

If you want to be really competitive, your best bet is Ruger Vaqueros in .38/.357 for wheelguns. I shoot CAS cuz I wanna shoot cowboy guns, so I use Colt SAA's in .45 Colt.

The 1873 carbines and short rifles are slick and a short-throw kit will quicken it up. I've run the same Rossi 92 for almost 20 years. I bought it cuz I was short on money and they were cheap. I've kept it because it's accurate and reliable. I did slick the action up myself.

I shoot Gunfighter Class. That's a revolver in each hand and alternating fire.
So my sxs should be perfect. I've noticed a lot shoot coach guns with 20" barrels. Do you think my 26" barrels will hinder me?

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
So my sxs should be perfect. I've noticed a lot shoot coach guns with 20" barrels. Do you think my 26" barrels will hinder me?

I don't know that it will hinder you, it's just that the shots are close enough that the longer barrels aren't necessary.

I ran a Beretta 20ga SxS for a little while.....only because I already had it and hadn't found a good 1897 yet.

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Where would be be a closer shot to kinda go and get a taste of what it's like? I see you live right down the road in Dallas. I actually live over by Rose's store.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
Unless it's changed since I last competed, they do CAS at Riverbend, South River, Cherokee, and Griffin Gun Clubs.