Canik55 TP-9 Gen 1

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

Sadkins

Hunter
Nov 18, 2014
Springboro Ohio
I wanted to do a quick review of my Canik55 TP-9. There are many good youtube reviews out there (my favorite is by Mrgunsngear), so mine will be brief and specific to my experience.

I began researching pistols for my first firearm back in the spring and came across a review by "nutnfancy" titled "making Glock scared). I liked the review and loved the Desert Tan. For the price of $300-350, I was sold. I got the gun in July and have had nothing but great experiences. I have around 500 rounds through it and have had one FTE that was in the first mag. Since then, zero malfunctions. It is accurate enough for me, definately better than "minute of man" accuracy. Below, my first shot ever at 15 yards is circled. Not bad :) first shot target.JPG

It is definitely a full sized pistol and would be a bit challenging to conceal, but it could be done. It fires anything I put in it. I have fired Federal, Tulammo BrassMax, and PerFecta. no issues at all. I am now thinking about a second pistol for CCW. Potential candidates are:

1. Glock 19
2. S&W M&P 9c
3. Walther PPS
4. Springfield XD9 sub

Lastly, here are a few pictures of my Canik Canik55 tp9 2.jpg Canik55 tp9 2.jpg Canik55 tp9 3.JPG Canik55 tp9 4.jpg Canik55 tp9 5.jpg first shot target.JPG Canik55 tp9 1.jpg Canik55 tp9 2.jpg Canik55 tp9 3.JPG Canik55 tp9 4.jpg Canik55 tp9 5.jpg

Reactions: dougiemac

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
Great review @Sadkins and the site's first gun review too! Thanks for sharing it and the photos are awesome! Nice close-ups (even the one with a public hair? just kidding). Bang for the buck, this is definitely a winner! By all accounts that I have read, watched, seen, heard, etc. the Canik TP9 is a winner and will be around for a while and possibly making Glock, XD, S&W, etc. all a little nervous about their new competition in the polymer gun market.

Couple of questions I have about it.
  • The grip looks amazing and very different than most guns. I'm used to a Glock or a 1911 grip, the Canik is more like an XD or possibly a Walther style grip. Do you like the grip and how does it compare to other guns you've held?
  • How easy is it to disassemble and reassemble to clean?
  • Does this gun have an intended purpose for you? i.e. just to add to the collection, nightstand gun for home defense, an EDC (every day carry) gun, etc.
  • Have you found many accessories for it yet and are they reasonably priced?
  • Are you going to modify it any? i.e. for instance replace the sites with XS Big Dots or Tru-Glo Night Sites? Add a Streamlight TLR-1 or something onto it?
  • I noticed you said you loved the desert tan in your review. Did you decide to go black over desert tan for any reason?
  • btw... awesome first shot too! That's something to be proud of. Have you taken any instructional classes, etc. or are you a natural?

Sadkins

Hunter
Nov 18, 2014
Springboro Ohio
Great review @Sadkins and the site's first gun review too! Thanks for sharing it and the photos are awesome! Nice close-ups (even the one with a public hair? just kidding). Bang for the buck, this is definitely a winner! By all accounts that I have read, watched, seen, heard, etc. the Canik TP9 is a winner and will be around for a while and possibly making Glock, XD, S&W, etc. all a little nervous about their new competition in the polymer gun market.

Couple of questions I have about it.
  • The grip looks amazing and very different than most guns. I'm used to a Glock or a 1911 grip, the Canik is more like an XD or possibly a Walther style grip. Do you like the grip and how does it compare to other guns you've held? The grip is very Walther esk. I find it to point very naturally. It is very different from Glock or XD.
  • How easy is it to disassemble and reassemble to clean? Breakdow is very easy. Pretty much like a Glock, release tension on the slide -> pull down on the two tabs mid-frame - > decock by the decocker on top or pull trigger -> Push slide forward. Then strips like every other striker fired pistol.
  • Does this gun have an intended purpose for you? i.e. just to add to the collection, nightstand gun for home defense, an EDC (every day carry) gun, etc. It is my first and only, so it serves every purpose currently. I don't have my CCW yet but it could be carried, it is in a bed-side safe with quick access.
  • Have you found many accessories for it yet and are they reasonably priced? I haven't looke for many accessories yet but there aren't a ton out there yet. given that it is a Walther P99 clone, holsters work but that is the extent of my searching.
  • Are you going to modify it any? i.e. for instance replace the sites with XS Big Dots or Tru-Glo Night Sites? Add a Streamlight TLR-1 or something onto it? So far, the standard sights are good. most reviews have said there no after-market sights but that will change. It has a good Pic rail, so I am thinking about getting a light for it.
  • I noticed you said you loved the desert tan in your review. Did you decide to go black over desert tan for any reason? haha, yes. I wanted the Desert Tan but they were all sold out. The only Tan one I could find (at the time) was at "Prepper Gun Shop" and they were gouging bad for the Tan. I got my black one for 325 plus FFL fees. Prepper had theirs up to $499. At that price, I would have looked at the VTAC M&P, Sig's, or Glocks.
  • btw... awesome first shot too! That's something to be proud of. Have you taken any instructional classes, etc. or are you a natural? No classes and very little shooting experience (unless you count BB/Pellet guns when I was a kid, I don't) I intend to take some tactical training down the road. So I guess it is god-given :)
My responses to questions are in the quote above in Blue

Last edited:

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Look at a S&W Shield in 9MM. I think it is better than the 9C.