Can I swap my 9mm AR from Colt mags to Glock mags?

Faktory 47

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I have a 9mm SBR with a standard Spikes lower and the PSA magwell block device to accept Colt style 9mm SMG mags. I'd REALLY like to run Glock 9mm mags instead. Can I simply swap the magwell block to a different one to accept Glock mags, or does it matter what barrel, bolt etc I'm using? It is a full PSA 9mm rifle kit.

I see that WNG makes one, but they don't have a website and havent updated their FB since last year...
https://www.facebook.com/WNGTripleCatch/

Anyone know of a company that makes this?

Obligatory pic in potato quality
IMG_4684.PNG

Reactions: Red Dawn

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
Im not 100% sure, but if you do swap it, let me know what you may want for you Colt mag setup.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Im not 100% sure, but if you do swap it, let me know what you may want for you Colt mag setup.
If I can swap it I'll definitely hook you up on the low with the magwell block and I have 3 mags as well. Really just want to run glock mags since I only run 9mm glock pistols. I hate that I have these 3 random ass mags laying around and have to be sure to pack them for range visits and what not. Im being picky I know lol.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I can cut the bolt, just ask CUDruln. The adapters are out there from what I read, but out of stock everywhere. The question you have to ask is why? The reliability drops when you mod it from it's original form. You already have a variety of mags avaliable. Go the MechTech route if you want an 9mm carbine or build a pistol AR9 instead of SBR.

Reactions: dial1911

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
I have a select-fire Colt 9mm SMG. I wouldn't swap mags, she runs great on the old Colt mags. I have a bunch of C-Products mags as well. I had to weed a couple of duds out of those; sent them back for an exchange and the replacements work great.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I have a select-fire Colt 9mm SMG. I wouldn't swap mags, she runs great on the old Colt mags. I have a bunch of C-Products mags as well. I had to weed a couple of duds out of those; sent them back for an exchange and the replacements work great.
I would just rather have less types of mags laying around. Being able to throw any of my 9mm glock mags in that gun would be super convenient. Oh well.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
I would just rather have less types of mags laying around. Being able to throw any of my 9mm glock mags in that gun would be super convenient. Oh well.

That wouldn't work for me because I don't use 33rd mags in my Glocks. The highest capacity I use are 17 rounds and I'm not going to give up my 32rd Colt mags and use 17rd Glock mags just to have common mags.

Mine is select-fire, so I can chew through some ammo. Even if it were semi-auto, I wouldn't want to use 17 rounds magazines. Why grab a 17rd 9mm when, for the same size in the weapon system, I can grab a 30rd 5.56? Better distance, lethality, anti-armor capabilities, etc.

I get the commonality and only having to grab one bag o' mags for both weapon systems, but for me I would be giving up too much to try to achieve commonality in my magazines. Again, to me, it ain't worth the trade-off.

The guns that I have "staged" to grab in a hurry are ready to go, loaded "cruiser ready" and have a satchel of loaded mags sitting with them. No worries about grabbing mags for the weapon I'm grabbing.

Not a fan of pistol calibers in a weapon system that's the same size/weight as what I can get a rifle/carbine caliber in. Not gonna grab a 9mm if I can grab a 5.56/7.62/6.8/.300Blk. My 9mm is a different animal, because it's select-fire.....that changes the game a tad. I would still rather it were select-fire in one of the rifle/carbine calibers I listed, if I were taking it to a real fight.

I can see uses for the 9mm carbine/SBR, especially the ease of running it suppressed with subsonic ammo.

Reactions: Red Dawn

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Yea
That wouldn't work for me because I don't use 33rd mags in my Glocks. The highest capacity I use are 17 rounds and I'm not going to give up my 32rd Colt mags and use 17rd Glock mags just to have common mags.

Mine is select-fire, so I can chew through some ammo. Even if it were semi-auto, I wouldn't want to use 17 rounds magazines. Why grab a 17rd 9mm when, for the same size in the weapon system, I can grab a 30rd 5.56? Better distance, lethality, anti-armor capabilities, etc.

I get the commonality and only having to grab one bag o' mags for both weapon systems, but for me I would be giving up too much to try to achieve commonality in my magazines. Again, to me, it ain't worth the trade-off.

The guns that I have "staged" to grab in a hurry are ready to go, loaded "cruiser ready" and have a satchel of loaded mags sitting with them. No worries about grabbing mags for the weapon I'm grabbing.

Not a fan of pistol calibers in a weapon system that's the same size/weight as what I can get a rifle/carbine caliber in. Not gonna grab a 9mm if I can grab a 5.56/7.62/6.8/.300Blk. My 9mm is a different animal, because it's select-fire.....that changes the game a tad. I would still rather it were select-fire in one of the rifle/carbine calibers I listed, if I were taking it to a real fight.

I can see uses for the 9mm carbine/SBR, especially the ease of running it suppressed with subsonic ammo.
Yeah I get that but this is not a go to battle rifle. Not even close. Its a toy, and nothing more. 17 rounds, 33 rounds, its all the same. Just plinking shit at the range and goofing off with it. Hence the idea that similar mags would be super helpful. I could grab a bag of mags and roll out to the range or where ever I was going to shoot. Its definitely not a big deal either, just would have been nice if I could swap a $40 magwell block for a different one in order to get my end result. But since its not possible im gonna stiock with the colt mags.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
Yea

Yeah I get that but this is not a go to battle rifle. Not even close. Its a toy, and nothing more. 17 rounds, 33 rounds, its all the same. Just plinking shit at the range and goofing off with it. Hence the idea that similar mags would be super helpful. I could grab a bag of mags and roll out to the range or where ever I was going to shoot. Its definitely not a big deal either, just would have been nice if I could swap a $40 magwell block for a different one in order to get my end result. But since its not possible im gonna stiock with the colt mags.

Your thinking makes perfect sense to me for that application. If I were in your boat, I'd be desirous of a simple Glock conversion as well.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Your thinking makes perfect sense to me for that application. If I were in your boat, I'd be desirous of a simple Glock conversion as well.
Yeah, Im building an actual go to AR at the moment, but he AR9 is just a sweet ass toy haha. My build thread is here http://www.southeasttraders.com/threads/suppressed-sbr-ar-parts-list-build-thread.8765/

Next time I take a rifle course, I will go with the AR im building now. That way I have a class with both the AK and AR style platforms under my belt. I feel I will know what Id rather defend my life with after using each for a course.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
You're thinking makes perfect sense to me for you're application. If I were in your boat, I'd be desirous of a simple Glock conversion as well.
Yeah, Im building an actual go to AR at the moment, but he AR9 is just a sweet ass toy haha. My build thread is here http://www.southeasttraders.com/threads/suppressed-sbr-ar-parts-list-build-thread.8765/

Next time I take a rifle course, I will go with the AR im building now. That way I have a class with both the AK and AR style platforms under my belt. I feel I will know what Id rather defend my life with after using each for a course.

Solid thinking. I recommend everyone to be well-versed on both platforms. Everyone has a favorite, I know I do, but you never know what you may have to pick up and use!

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Solid thinking. I recommend everyone to be well-versed on both platforms. Everyone has a favorite, I know I do, but you never know what you may have to pick up and use!
Very true. Maybe ill get back out and do another course with you when Im done building this thing in January ish. Im waiting on two tax stamps for it unfortunately. I still love my AKs though. Just lacking a little bit of ergonomics lol.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
Very true. Maybe ill get back out and do another course with you when Im done building this thing in January ish. Im waiting on two tax stamps for it unfortunately. I still love my AKs though. Just lacking a little bit of ergonomics lol.

Yup! Easy gun to run, but not easy to run WELL. I do enjoy watching the guys run them that can run them great.

One of the Instructors that works for me is an AK guy, but it helps a bit that he's cross-dominant and runs his long guns left-handed. Lefties have a slight advantage on the AK, IMO.

I run an AK as well as anyone, and better than most, but it ain't my go-to platform. When I need an AK-ish gun, I grab my SIG 556xi Russian. Built-in rails, I installed the charging handle on the left side, takes my AK mags.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I always loved watching the guys who are good with an am do the over the top reach to the charging handle.

Hopefully I'll be able to pick up an AK next year.