Bullet casting the easy way.

Howard Law

BubbaDX

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Nice video Rich. I seen the video on Youtube before I seen your post. Any way to get closeup pictures or a description of what you were looking for to determine your mold was getting too hot?

BubbaDX

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Cool, thank you sir. As soon as the weather cooperates here I am going to try casting again for the 44 magnum. This time I have a thermometer.

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
This is what it looks like if the lead & mold is to hot.
In the video I had the lead way to hot. I was talking and looking at the way the video was going.

When the lead is running this hot it shrinks in the mold and makes an undersized bullet.

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
If you don't have extra lead on top of the cut off plate you get holes in the bullet. The lead will shrink down and pull air in the mold.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
RICHGCOOP said:
If you don't have extra lead on top of the cut off plate you get holes in the bullet. The lead will shrink down and pull air in the mold.
What may not be obvious is that the bullets shown above will not fly straight and true because their weight will be off center from the center axis of the spinning bullet.

BubbaDX

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Its supposed to get up to 38 today, so it might be warm enough to be out in the garage casting. If I had an exhaust hood like you got it would be easier to cast in cold weather. I leave the garage door open and do my casting by the door so fumes don't get in the house. If I find an old stove hood or something at a garage sale cheap I will build an exhaust hood in my garage and be able to work pretty much year around.