Buffer Tube Hone?

Faktory 47

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
Ok- help me out here. A couple AR buffer tubes of mine feel like they were extruded over a fence post- the inside is rough as hell. It's really noticeable when operating the charging handle.

I've used a few flex hones in other applications and it seems like the tool for the job here. I'm sure I could get creative with some sandpaper and a wood dowel, but I think I'd rather just have a coarse and fine flex hone to clean up the inner walls of the buffer tube.

Anybody got any experience or suggestions?

Probably going to go with something like this in a 1" diameter:

http://www.brushresearch.com/brushes.php?c1=1

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
Ok- help me out here. A couple AR buffer tubes of mine feel like they were extruded over a fence post- the inside is rough as hell. It's really noticeable when operating the charging handle.

I've used a few flex hones in other applications and it seems like the tool for the job here. I'm sure I could get creative with some sandpaper and a wood dowel, but I think I'd rather just have a coarse and fine flex hone to clean up the inner walls of the buffer tube.

Anybody got any experience or suggestions?

Probably going to go with something like this in a 1" diameter:

http://www.brushresearch.com/brushes.php?c1=1
Just shoot more. It'll smooth out.

Reactions: 1776 and dial1911

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
I wouldn't put any grit in there- I was mostly kidding. I'm sure it will get better over time, but it seems these PSA tubes are pretty poor quality- at least on the surfaces you can't see.
Ohh.....

Yeah, you get what ya pay for. Could always go w a JP silent spring. It's like going from a Geo to a BMW

Reactions: dial1911

chance

Tracker
Jul 15, 2015
Ga
Zip code
You could hone it out, but you will remove the anodizing. Might be best to replace it with a quality one

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
You could hone it out, but you will remove the anodizing. Might be best to replace it with a quality one

I've read the anodizing argument before... doesn't concern me. I've worked on a lot of aircraft parts before and I have no fears of a cadmium plated buffer spring doing anything to harm a 6061-T6 aluminum tube in my lifetime. So long as I keep it out of the ocean, there's little chance of doing serious harm.

I am planning on swabbing it out with some aluminum black after it's cleaned up. That will do about as much as anything to surface coat the aluminum.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I wouldn't put any grit in there- I was mostly kidding. I'm sure it will get better over time, but it seems these PSA tubes are pretty poor quality- at least on the surfaces you can't see.
So what you're saying is that the inside of PSA buffer tubes are about as smooth as their triggers?

Reactions: dial1911

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
Worth every penny in a suppressed gun. Smooth as butter. Not sure I'd spend the money otherwise though.
I just swapped mine out for an A5 system. My JP spring doesn't seem strong enough to strip a round and fully go into battery like it did when it was new. I'd say around 1500 rounds through it.

Could probably be easily remedied with a stronger spring.

Ran it on a suppressed 10.5 gun that has a WAR upper.

Last edited:

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I just swapped mine out for an A5 system. My JP spring doesn't seem strong enough to strip a round and fully go into battery like it did when it was new. I'd say around 1500 rounds through it.

Could probably be easily remedied with a stronger spring.

Ran it on a suppressed 10.5 gun that has a WAR upper.
I'm running mine in a 5.5" 9mm. So I probably won't have that problem. I'd say I've got 1,500-2,000 through it so far without a single hiccup aside from a magazine issue.

Reactions: Righter13