Recipe Brisket

Howard Law
Jul 14, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
Check on the beer and thermometers! I'll be cooking on my Akorn it's kinda like the big green egg only black and less expensive lol
Nice. I have a green egg and a kamado joe. I cooked a couple briskets on the kamado last weekend and they were great. There are tons of recipes on the Internet and everybody does something a little different. I keep it pretty simple. Just make sure you build a good fire to start and keep an eye on your temperatures. It's not as hard as people make it out to be.

Reactions: great dane

Glock 21

Woodsman
Mar 26, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
Nice. I have a green egg and a kamado joe. I cooked a couple briskets on the kamado last weekend and they were great. There are tons of recipes on the Internet and everybody does something a little different. I keep it pretty simple. Just make sure you build a good fire to start and keep an eye on your temperatures. It's not as hard as people make it out to be.

Planning to step up to a green egg or kamado joe once this one dies. I got it to see how I would like it and I must say I've become addicted to it

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Planning to step up to a green egg or kamado joe once this one dies. I got it to see how I would like it and I must say I've become addicted to it
I've tried to convince myself to buy the smaller Green egg to do ribs, but 90% of the time, I am doing ribeyes hot and fast. I keep telling myself that if I invest in a nice smoker, I'll make the time to use it .... but then I think about how lazy I am and fear I'll just be wasting money on something I'll rarely use.

Me & my indecisions :decision:

Reactions: George P. Burdell

Glock 21

Woodsman
Mar 26, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
I've tried to convince myself to buy the smaller Green egg to do ribs, but 90% of the time, I am doing ribeyes hot and fast. I keep telling myself that if I invest in a nice smoker, I'll make the time to use it .... but then I think about how lazy I am and fear I'll just be wasting money on something I'll rarely use.

Me & my indecisions :decision:

Pull the trigger on it man you will not regret it! First time you cook in it you will be hooked plus once your temp is locked it you can kick bag and drink away :tea:

Dinky Dau

Over Sexed Sr. Citizen
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 12, 2015
Zip code
First thing you need to do is make a good dry rub...Next Apple juice and a marinade injector. Trim excess fat of the Brisket. Inject with the apple juice, apply the dry rub, I use a combination of herbs, but their are plenty on the web..Set your smoker to 275 degrees, insert a thermometer to monitor temp inside the Brisket. Take and soak Hickory, Cherry, Apple, Oak, or Pecan wood 24 hrs in apple juice before smoking...Also only use lump Charcoal..Have a spritz bottle of apple juice close to the smoker. If you have a 5 to 10 lb brisket it will take about 8 to 12 hrs to smoke. I would spritz with apple juice every hr. Make sure temp on the fire remains at 250-275 degrees with plenty of good wood soaked for the smoke..If Temp gets to 250 on the inside probe, Pull Brisket and wrap in tin foil and put back on the fire...The time the Brisket cooks in the foil and the juices turning into steam, will tenderize the meat..Don't forget to spritz every hr..Happy cooking!

Dinky Dau

Over Sexed Sr. Citizen
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 12, 2015
Zip code
Thanks DD Do you marinate your brisket overnight?
Not really, I do make sure to trim the fat, and inject, You can also make Corned Beef out of the brisket, which takes a week of marinating..But leave that for another day.

Reactions: Glock 21

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Planning to try smoking my first brisket this weekend. Any tips from some veteran smokers?
250 degrees, 1 hour and 15 minutes per pound .

Hickory and misquite wood

Use some yellow mustard to hold your spices on

Smoke it fat side up

let the meat come to room temp for 6 hours or so before smoking

wrap it in tinfoil for about 1 hour after cooking is done, I like to use two layers of good thick tinfoil.

Snewt1

Woodsman
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 7, 2015
Double wrap in tin foil after cooking, wrap in bath towels, put in cooler for 1-2 hours.

+1 on using mustard.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Snewt1

Woodsman
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 7, 2015
Also, read up on what the "stall" is.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Snewt1

Woodsman
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 7, 2015
Send me your email and I'll send you a good rub recipe.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk