Bolt Action .308

GA Firing Line
Feb 9, 2016
Just recently bought a bolt action .308

Its a Savage Axis2

Was curious what type of ammo y'all run through yours? Brass or steel. Being bolt action i wouldnt think there is too much that could beat up using steel. This is my first bolt action. Haven't even bought ammo for it yet

Dirtbike

NRA Life Member (Everybody should be!)
Feb 3, 2016
I run brass casings but that's just because I'd like to reload then one of these days

Feb 9, 2016
That the same thing i was thinking. Hell i save all my 223 brass too. Well most of it anyways. Some gets away from me.

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
I only ever ran brass case. I've shot plenty of steel case through my AR's, but always wanted max precision out of my bolt guns, which meant no steel case.

That said, Hornady's 75gr TAP Training ammo is steel case with the same bullet as the regular TAP round. Most accurate steel case I've ever shot.

Shawn Agne

Woodsman
Feb 22, 2016
The issue with the steel cases is typically the lacquer that is on them as that will gum up a chamber over time, although not normally an issue with a bolt gun. For just plinking just get some M80 surplus and go have fun, Lake City or IMI would be my recommendation. Save the brass so when you find that a 308 is expensive to buy ammo for you have the brass to use to reload with and if you have purchased Lake City or IMI ammo you have some nice brass that will last a long time.

Shawn Agne

Woodsman
Feb 22, 2016
Yup, shoots nice, the Mk316 actually shoots nicer, but in either case for the shooting the OP is doing the 175gr SMK is a little overkill. Ironically both of these are loads that the highpower community has been using for ages (as with the Mk262 also). However the government needed to spend millions of dollars to come up with the same loads everyone has been shooting.

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
That's what the government does. Spend more than it needs to!

I got decent results in my SCAR17 with 168FGMM, but shaved .25 MOA when I switched to 175 FGMM or M118. Groups are down to .5-.75 @100 depending in the day I'm having. Amazing accuracy IMO for a rifle so short and light.

CBC's 77gr OTM (their supposed clone of BH MK262) is giving some nice results from my DD MK12. Sub MOA....not bad for $0.40/rd ammo! (Potentially better if you shop around)

Shawn Agne

Woodsman
Feb 22, 2016
I've never shot factory ammo always loaded my own. If you reload let me know if you want to loads for the above ammo you mentioned.

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
Much appreciated. Still limited to the same Square Deal press I've had for 10years. Been holding on to most of my quality brass though as I know the days or rifle reloading are ahead!!