Bisley Ruger Vaquero .44 Mag cal.

Faktory 47

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
DSC0NSN.jpg~original

Last Saturday a friend and I were making the rounds before going to a basket ball game. Sitting in a LGS was a shinny stainless steel Ruger Vaquero, in 44 Magnum. She’s about 11 ¼ inches long, with a 5 ½ inch barrel. She had the original box but was hardly new and there is a ring around the cylinder which means she’s had a few rounds put through her. The cylinder and action are tight and she’s been cared for.

It’s heavier than the New Vaqueros, with a rugged feel and some heft in handling, which isn’t a bad idea when you’re firing .44 Magnum rounds; she’s got a Bisley styled lowered hand spur hammer, grip and trigger. This set up is supposed to make it easier to work the action without shifting the grip. True enough in dry firing.

It’s rare to find a Ruger Vaquero in other than 45 or 357 caliber in these parts. Ruger went to those two calibers only and down sized the design to be more like Colt Single Actions, back in 2005.

DSC07735.jpg~original

In 1994 Ruger started manufacturing the Vaqueros. This one was made in 2004. I picked up a box of 50 Magtech .44 Rem-Mag (240 grain) and need to get some lighter 44 Specials for her first range trip.
They were asking $500.00 but settled for $450.00 which is not a bad deal. Besides it’s my birthday this month.