Best way to safely store your firearms

Howard Law

David (OHGO)

Tracker
Sep 29, 2016
What are the best ways to safely store firearms? I'm in a house which now has small children in it ages 5-9 and need the best methods people are using. Only have a few small handguns and one ar15. Can't afford anything huge safe wise and don't have room really for storing three different small safes

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
While I would advocate saving up to get a real safe (and the rule of thumb is always get twice the size safe you think you will need), I certainly understand that may take time and you need safety now. Since you have an AR15 you will need storage for long guns as well as pistols. I would say a gun cabinet, like the stack-on 8 gun cabinet might be up your alley. It is basically a metal box with a key lock. Not very secure for keeping out thieves, but should at least deter a child from getting access to your guns until you can get something truly secure and fire resistant. 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stack-On-8-Gun-Ready-to-Assemble-Security-Cabinet-Black-GCB-8RTA-DS/202996383?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|G|0|G-BASE-PLA-D25H-Security&Safety|&gclid=CjwKEAjwj92_BRDQ-NuC98SZkWYSJACWmjhlyqA3SQVgg9jT7EQvcqkYSLtGxStqbqTmwSryy2HQohoCidXw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

The main thing is to make sure your guns aren't accessible to those who shouldn't have them. For the time being, that may mean keeping your gun unloaded and away from your ammo until you have a safe place to store them. 

Last edited by a moderator:

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
Agreed.  While there are some smaller safes in the $200-$400 range, if that isn't doable right now T.L. said it right.  10 or 12ga. steel won't keep out a dedicated thief or protect against fire but should work fine for kids.  Just remember anything that is key access only without an additional combination is only as secure as the key.  Keep it non-accessible to the kids.

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
That's true Chris. There are some decent options for just over twice the cost of the stack on cabinet I listed. It may be a better place to start. But as we all know, we all eventually need bigger safes. I'm at the point now where I think I am going to just get another safe soon. They fill up so fast (much to the chagrin of my wife).

This one isn't a bad option for your modest current needs, Mike: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stack-On-10-Gun-Matte-Black-Electronic-Lock-Safe-SS-10-MB-E/202996378

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
You got that right.  I'm not sure what kind of standard the people use that determine how many guns a safe can hold, but they must use all un-scoped lever actions and a whole lot of handguns!  My 39 gun doesn't hold nearly 39 guns unless it's a whole bunch of pistols.

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
One of my safes is a 48 gun and it holds my scoped rifles. I have 14 rifles in that safe and can't squeeze in another.

David (OHGO)

Tracker
Sep 29, 2016
Thanks for the input everyone. I'll check the suggestions out and see what I can come up with.