Best shotgun ever made

American Revival Apparel Company

Dirtbike

NRA Life Member (Everybody should be!)
Feb 3, 2016
Reliability comes to mind, they've been around forever and work great! but I suppose the same can be said for the Mossburg 500, I've been using the same shotgun for going on close to 30 years now and she still functions great!

Randy (OHGO)

Woodsman
Feb 6, 2016
I am not too sure about that....I still use my Fathers Ithaca Model 37 it was built in the late 50's and mine is from the early 70s both are great and with the bottom ejection port makes it a great one for left handers

Dirtbike

NRA Life Member (Everybody should be!)
Feb 3, 2016
[QUOTE="Randy]I am not too sure about that....I still use my Fathers Ithaca Model 37 it was built in the late 50's and mine is from the early 70s both are great and with the bottom ejection port makes it a great one for left handers

[/QUOTE]
That's awesome that you have your father's shotgun, and what a great legacy to carry forward by still using it as it was intended! My old man use to talk about Ithaca back in the day, I've never had my hands on one to be honest but from the sounds of it they sound to be built well

Randy (OHGO)

Woodsman
Feb 6, 2016
actually my brother has my Dad's and we get together several times a year to throw some clays and attempt to hit them. That gun and mine hits everything they are aimed at.........not necessarily where we have it aimed ;-) ( the guns are much more accurate than we are) and the pump actions are just as smooth as when they were new. In fact the model 37 was at one time THE police riot gun of choice once equipped with the 12 round tube. We also still shoot my Grandfathers single shot shotgun as well built in the 1890s, yes we had it checked by a gunsmith, the only problem with it is the ejector sometimes sticks and won't eject the spent shell.

Last edited by a moderator:

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
Love the 870 but I'm partial to double guns. I'd have to choose a highend over/under or SxS as the BEST ever. Most important, most successful, we might be talking the 870, but I can't call it the "best". It's hard to call any budget level gun the best ever.

Ron Dolph

Hunter
Feb 6, 2016
My choice would be the Browning A 5. There were a few companies that followed their patent. At the tie the Browning A 5 was beyond my budget but found a Savage model 20 I believe.

The 870 is still one of the most convertible shotgun that I am aware of. I put alot of shells through the Ithica 900 Feather weight and the 1920 Savage. Folks all knew hunting season was near. Every Thursday I would hit the trap and turkey shoot. I brought home several turkeys. Where it was difficult was I was using my reloaded #6 shot. The last time I shot 23 or 24 out of 25 with that load. I graduated Highschool and got busy. That was the last time I shot.......lol

Randy (OHGO)

Woodsman
Feb 6, 2016
Another "advantage" to the Model 37 is that if you are into a bit of showing off, it is the only pump action shotgun that you can slam fire. With one pull of the trigger fire hold the trigger and it keeps firing every time you pump. I don't do this but have seen the Hickock 45 video of it.