Best selling line of ammo in the US of A....

Howard Law

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
I'm guessing that what's being thought about here (in the title) is the Hornady "Zombie Max" ammo. I understand that it's flying off the shelves. What really surprises me is how it's identical to other ammo except for the color of the plastic tip and it sells for more money than the standard version.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Northern_Son said:
Best selling line of ammo to my house is Federal Bulk backs of .22lr and 9x19. You all can have the over priced Zombie ammo! :)
I don't usually buy ready-to-fire ammo. I buy ammo parts - primers, bullets, powder, etc.

Come to think of it, I also buy things like rough-cut wood and a bit of hardware to make stuff for the house far more than buying cabinets, furniture, or accessories.

M

mukwah

SkipD said:
I'm guessing that what's being thought about here (in the title) is the Hornady "Zombie Max" ammo. I understand that it's flying off the shelves. What really surprises me is how it's identical to other ammo except for the color of the plastic tip and it sells for more money than the standard version.
You're right about "zombie Max"! I hear and read that it's selling like crazy! The word Zombie is key here and thats why people are buying it! Looks like the regular CD to me, just a different color! 8)

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
SkipD said:
NAILED it Skip!. I was pretty surprised! (Source:KSL channel 5 SLC )

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
"Zombie"? All I can say is "only in America"! The power of Marketing! Who says the economy is bad? I'm still trying to figure why those very expensive targets sell so well. You know the Zombie target where there are so many colors that you cannot even see where the bullet hits. American beer? Taste really does not matter as much as the marketing or commercials. I remember in college taking a marketing course. Miller beer was the "Miller High Life" the champagne of Bottle Beer. The stuff would NOT sell. All they had to do was change the commercial too to focus on football and the younger generation and Bingo they could not keep it on the shelves.

brett_f

Scout
Jun 9, 2012
I prefer to use Hornady Critical Defense in my LCP. Well, apparently it sells so poorly and the ZombieMax sells so well, I can't find CD anywhere. But, my local stores are chock full of ZMAX.

What irritates me is that they are the same. Identical other than CD uses a red insert in the hollowpoint and ZMAX uses green. ::)

So, I had to break down and buy ZMAX since it is available and CD is not. I'll admit though, it irritates me enough that I might switch to Speer Gold Dots...

R

rayzer007

brett_f said:
So, I had to break down and buy ZMAX since it is available and CD is not. I'll admit though, it irritates me enough that I might switch to Speer Gold Dots...
You won't lose anything with that move Brett.
Ray

A

AquaHull

rayzer007 said:
brett_f said:
Ray

Except maybe in court when the DA asks you why you were using Zombie ammo, are you one of them crazy Internet Zombie Hunters like on the Television set?

R

rayzer007

AquaHull said:
rayzer007 said:
brett_f said:
Ray

Except maybe in court when the DA asks you why you were using Zombie ammo, are you one of them crazy Internet Zombie Hunters like on the Television set?
My comment was referring to the switch from ZMAX to Speer Gold Dot; I should have been more specific! I agree with your comment on the Zombie stuff AcquaHull. ;)
Ray

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
I watched a story where a Hornady rep said a very large percentage of people that buy the ammo don't even own guns. It's often being bought just as a conversation piece by zombie enthusiasts. probably the only ammo with that demographic so it's no wonder it's sales numbers are so high. that's a fickle crowd though. maybe Winchester should paint black and reintroduce the ranger T's as werewolf ammo so they could feel comfortable marketing it directly to civilians again.

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
I wonder what next? Halloween is fast approaching. Obvious that there is no problem with the economy as Zombie ammo is selling like hotcakes. Wicked Witch ammo? Frankenstein ammo? How about a silver casing (nickle for werewolfs? I'm not sure, but I kind of think that the folks that buy into that stuff are not the dedicated shooter. The once or twice a year shooter that buys expensive over the counter ammo from the range. Or maybe folks just have a lot more spending money than I do. Regardless, I think I will pick up the empty Zombie boxes out of the trash and put my reloads into them. Probably reload with nickle and resell them for 3 times the cost.

Dave