Best OWB holster?

American Revival Apparel Company

bmags

Hunter
Jul 8, 2016
Tennessee
I'm looking for OWB options. My suit pants are far too snug to wear my alien gear IWB so I was thinking some kind of paddle or belt slide holster. But preferably something that still tucks in close to the body so there's not a huge bulge under my suit jacket. Any ideas?

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Here's what I designed and made myself for my LCP:

Front view:
LCP in new slide holster - front.jpg

Rear view:
LCP in new slide holster - rear.jpg

Rear view attached to belt:
LCP in new slide holster - rear with belt.jpg

My fairly unique way of supporting the holster on my belt keeps the holster and pistol very snug to my body but extremely available. In addition, there is very little that shows below the belt line and what does is the same color as my belt so it's not noticeable if a shirt tail rides a little high.

Reactions: 3 people
R

rayzer007

Nice holster Skip - very nice grip purchase available.

Paddle holsters are usually a bit "bulgy" BMAGS. A thin leather belt slide would be a good choice for comfort and concealability.

Reactions: 2 people

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
You might want to try a single clip IWB holster first. Much less bulky than a double clip IWB, IMO.

An IWB holster will conceal better than an OWB holster IMO.

bmags

Hunter
Jul 8, 2016
Tennessee
You might want to try a single clip IWB holster first. Much less bulky than a double clip IWB, IMO.

An IWB holster will conceal better than an OWB holster IMO.

I would, except my suit pants are too snug for any IWB options. Kinda thinking I'll go with the alien gear belt slide option. It doesn't need to be perfect for concealment, I'd only be wearing it once a week at church.

Aimless1

Woodsman
Jan 20, 2013
NW Iowa
Very nice holster, Skip. How's the retention on it? Looks like the trigger portion of the holster would lock it in fairly well.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Very nice holster, Skip. How's the retention on it? Looks like the trigger portion of the holster would lock it in fairly well.
If somebody were to hold me upside down and shake me up and down really hard, the LCP might come out of the holster. I've shaped the leather around the trigger guard and the slide so that it holds the LCP rather firmly when the holster is on my belt and the belt is snug.

Nano65

Hunter
Dec 16, 2014
DFW area
Here is a little different take on the use of an IWB (Barsony) holster for my XDs45. I like to use it on my belt outside of my waist band. It is far more comfortable than inside the waist band. A simple cover shirt is all you need to keep it concealed.

O747DmCl.jpg

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
Here's what I designed and made myself for my LCP:

Front view:
LCP in new slide holster - front.jpg

Rear view:
LCP in new slide holster - rear.jpg

Rear view attached to belt:
LCP in new slide holster - rear with belt.jpg

My fairly unique way of supporting the holster on my belt keeps the holster and pistol very snug to my body but extremely available. In addition, there is very little that shows below the belt line and what does is the same color as my belt so it's not noticeable if a shirt tail rides a little high.

I'd highly recommend to not carry in anything like this. YMMV

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
Here is a little different take on the use of an IWB (Barsony) holster for my XDs45. I like to use it on my belt outside of my waist band. It is far more comfortable than inside the waist band. A simple cover shirt is all you need to keep it concealed.

O747DmCl.jpg
Add some forward cant and it's even better!

Last edited by a moderator:

Nano65

Hunter
Dec 16, 2014
DFW area
Add some forward cant and it's even better!
I agree but it is a little hard to do with this type holster. Carrying at 3 o'clock position works out well. I bought an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0 IWB and tried hard to like it. I tried a lot of positions with it but could never get comfortable with it. Most people who have them rave about them. I sent it back for a refund. Great company.

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
As pictured you are correct. I'm referring to getting a holster that has some can't built into it. That is not hard to do.

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
I'm looking for OWB options. My suit pants are far too snug to wear my alien gear IWB so I was thinking some kind of paddle or belt slide holster. But preferably something that still tucks in close to the body so there's not a huge bulge under my suit jacket. Any ideas?

Hey there! I'm personally not a fan of any paddle holster. I have went through about a half a dozen brands over the last 25 years and I've settled on NSR Tactical holsters for all my carry options. In fact, right now they have a 20% coupon celebrating 60K Facebook followers. (Use Promo code "FACEBOOK60K" during checkout.) I use their C-4LLC (leather lined) for 3-4 o'clock carry for my Glock 19. I also use a C1 appendix carry for my S&W Shield. Both are extremely comfortable and rugged.

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
If somebody were to hold me upside down and shake me up and down really hard, the LCP might come out of the holster. I've shaped the leather around the trigger guard and the slide so that it holds the LCP rather firmly when the holster is on my belt and the belt is snug.

If someone is able to hold you upside down and shake you, you may have bigger problems than retention. :)

bmags

Hunter
Jul 8, 2016
Tennessee
Thanks for the suggestions @vepr! Yeah I've been hearing from most people that paddle holsters tend to be bulky. Right now got my sights set on an alien gear belt slider holster. I've already got their IWB holster and like it very much.

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
Thanks for the suggestions @vepr! Yeah I've been hearing from most people that paddle holsters tend to be bulky. Right now got my sights set on an alien gear belt slider holster. I've already got their IWB holster and like it very much.

Can't go wrong there.

R

rayzer007

Check out EBay regularly Bmags. Sometimes you can pick up a slightly used holster, or a 'second' for a steal. I got a Don Hume second that had a basically unnoticeable blemish for 1/2 price. Also, I have several holsters I purchased used from a gun shop 30 yrs ago that I still wear! If it's a good brand name, 'used' might only mean only mean 'broken in'! The 'used bin' is the first place I check at any gun shop!

Reactions: 3 people