Best carry pistol for females

American Revival Apparel Company

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
My wife has a Ladysmith S&W Model 60-14. It's beautiful, ergonomically comfortable for small hands, has a beefed up .357 frame/cylinder, but can shoot .38 special +p loads quite comfortably. She loves it. She has a Glock 26 and Glock 43 and likes them both, but she really loves her revolver.

162414_01_lg.jpg

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
My wife, along with several other female shooters I know, really like the G42.  While it is .380acp, they much prefer it to the G43.  The reduction in recoil and ease of shooting is worth the drop from 9mm to .380acp (I understand this is a matter of opinion).  I pocket carry my G42 quite often and will admit, it is a VERY easy shooting gun.  One thing I really like about a G42 or G43 over many of the small J-frame revolvers is the sights.  They have REAL sights vs. the just the groove in the top of the frame on the revolver. I'll take a shot at distance(25yds)  if ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY with my G42 or G43 that I would be very hesitant to take with my S&W 637.

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
A 25 yard shot for concealed carry is essentially irrelevant. I would be hesitant to take that shot with a battle rifle in a self defense scenario. 

I'm with you on thesingle stack Glock being a great carry gun. I carry my G43 quit a bit. Obviously I can't speak for females and my wife can't speak for all women, but I don't agree about the difference in .380 vs 9mm. I find very little recoil difference between the G42 and G43 and my wife also finds the G43 just as comfortable to shoot as the G42. It's not like 9mm is any serious recoil. My feeling is that with proper training any adult without physical disabilities should be able to handle G43 9mm recoil just fine. It may take practice and training to get real comfortable and proficient, but we all should do that. Of course this is also based on my opinion that .380 isn't a viable self defense round when 9mm has such slighly more recoil in nearly as small a package. I just can't bring myself to recommend it over comparable 9mms. Just my opinion of course. But it wouldn't be my opinion if I didnt think it was right. ;)

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
I know we won't agree on the .380/9mm thing, which is fine of course. 

As for the potential for a 25yd shot......it all depends on the circumstances.  General concealed carry, no.....not something you are going to do in the course of "normal' self defense if there is such a thing.  As an instructor for Active Shooter Response, if a 25yd shot is the only shot I have at the time and I have the skill to make it....I want a gun with quality sights and is accurate enough to make that shot a viable option.