"Battle belt" recommendations

American Revival Apparel Company

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
so I am wanting a good belt set up for training classes.

The issue I have is I don't have an ass so I have difficulty keeping my pants/belt up with too much weight on it.

The two main options I'm looking at are the HSGI sure grip or a Velcro lined inner and outer belt.

Any advice or experience guys?

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I think the answer is probably going to be suspenders.
I've thought about that too. With the HSGI I'm concerned about the belt riding up. I think a drop leg holster would help keep it down and the suspenders would help keep them up. Plus suspenders would give me some extra space to stash small things.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
I don't know much about them honestly, but the couple guys I know who do real training classes have belts with a H harness or whatever it's called.

The closest I can come is a 5.11 chest rig/mag carrier that I got for a steal of a deal on bushcraft usa's website- those guys don't do tactical, so this thing was cheap. $40 shipped if I remember correctly.

Reactions: AtlMedic

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I don't know much about them honestly, but the couple guys I know who do real training classes have belts with a H harness or whatever it's called.

The closest I can come is a 5.11 chest rig/mag carrier that I got for a steal of a deal on bushcraft usa's website- those guys don't do tactical, so this thing was cheap. $40 shipped if I remember correctly.

I think a belt fits my needs best and then add a plate carrier and/or chest rig down the road. I am thinking the HSGI with suspenders and a drop leg holster is my best bet. The suspenders I've been looking at will hold a hydration pack which may be nice. The combination of the suspenders and a drop leg should keep the belt in place fairly well.

@cmshoot @DarthVader @Righter13 do you guys have any suggestions?

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
I think a belt fits my needs best and then add a plate carrier and/or chest rig down the road. I am thinking the HSGI with suspenders and a drop leg holster is my best bet. The suspenders I've been looking at will hold a hydration pack which may be nice. The combination of the suspenders and a drop leg should keep the belt in place fairly well.

@cmshoot @DarthVader @Righter13 do you guys have any suggestions?
Give me about an hour or so and I'll post some pics of my belt.

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
IMG_5997.JPG

So my base is a TYR Tactical gunfighter belt, it has two rows of Molle on it allowing to attach items directly to it. (I prefer a thinner belt because it allows me more flexibility in movement)
The belt can be ran with an inner Velcro belt though your belt loops or with just a padded backing on the belt.

Mag pouches are standard HSGI tacos.

Blue Force Gear. Dump pouch

AR500 Armor IFAK and a USGI Cat tourniquet and holder on the side of IFAK.

Mora knife

Safari land ALS with Oregon trail defense nub mod.

Reactions: dial1911

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
The rig is modular. The only thing that stays the same from course to course is the belt (inner and outer), the Safariland holster platform and the Rolly Polly. Everything else easily removes and attaches. The holsters snap into a plate on the rig.......they're the easiest part of the entire system to switch out.

I usually run a BDS Tactical plate carrier with AR500 plates in it. If I need more than 3 Carbine mags (1 in the weapon, 2 on the belt), I have a carrier that fastens to the front of my carrier and holds an additional 4 magazines.

1a: Jones Tactical outer belt, with Cobra buckle
1b: Jones Tactical inner belt
2: Maxpedition Rolly Polly, large. I tried the medium, but found it sometimes difficult to get a mag in there while shootin' n' scootin'. Also, as an Instructor, I'm always sticking stuff in there like PACT timers, courses of fire and other gear.
3: Safariland 6004-25 holster platform using the QLS (Quick Locking System) plate. This allows just about any Safariland holster to be mounted to this rig. I've always hated "drop leg" holsters, but this one drops just far enough to get below vests and/or armor, but it's still mounted on the hip, not the leg. Super stable and secure, yet very quick.
4a: Safariland 6377 holster with QLS attachment, Beretta 92
4b: Safariland 6377 holster with QLS attachment, SIG P229
4c: Safariland 6377 holster with QLS attachment, Gov't model 1911
5: Safariland kydex Teklok pouches, AR15
6: Blade Tech Teklok pouches, AK
7: Ready Tactical kydex mag pouches, Beretta 92
8: Talon Tactical kydex mag pouches, 1911
9: Ready Tactical kydex mag pouches, SIG P229
10: California Competition works shotshell caddy
11: Safariland SxS shotshell holder. I usually put shotshells in the California CompWorks caddies and slugs in the SxS's.

IMG_0142.JPG

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
The rig is modular. The only thing that stays the same from course to course is the belt (inner and outer), the Safariland holster platform and the Rolly Polly. Everything else easily removes and attaches. The holsters snap into a plate on the rig.......they're the easiest part of the entire system to switch out.

I usually run a BDS Tactical plate carrier with AR500 plates in it. If I need more than 3 Carbine mags (1 in the weapon, 2 on the belt), I have a carrier that fastens to the front of my carrier and holds an additional 4 magazines.

1a: Jones Tactical outer belt, with Cobra buckle
1b: Jones Tactical inner belt
2: Maxpedition Rolly Polly, large. I tried the medium, but found it sometimes difficult to get a mag in there while shootin' n' scootin'. Also, as an Instructor, I'm always sticking stuff in there like PACT timers, courses of fire and other gear.
3: Safariland 6004-25 holster platform using the QLS (Quick Locking System) plate. This allows just about any Safariland holster to be mounted to this rig. I've always hated "drop leg" holsters, but this one drops just far enough to get below vests and/or armor, but it's still mounted on the hip, not the leg. Super stable and secure, yet very quick.
4a: Safariland 6377 holster with QLS attachment, Beretta 92
4b: Safariland 6377 holster with QLS attachment, SIG P229
4c: Safariland 6377 holster with QLS attachment, Gov't model 1911
5: Safariland kydex Teklok pouches, AR15
6: Blade Tech Teklok pouches, AK
7: Ready Tactical kydex mag pouches, Beretta 92
8: Talon Tactical kydex mag pouches, 1911
9: Ready Tactical kydex mag pouches, SIG P229
10: California Competition works shotshell caddy
11: Safariland SxS shotshell holder. I usually put shotshells in the California CompWorks caddies and slugs in the SxS's.

View attachment 26151

That is what I'm looking for in a holster. I don't really want a drop leg but I think just the one strap will help keep the best in place. I think I'm going to be best off with the HSGI instead of the Velcro set up. Luckily I don't need to be able to swap things around much since I will only need it set up for Glock and AR mags.

I'm thinking two each rifle and pistol mags, a handheld light and a IFAK.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
I hate drop legs. The holster above sits just a few inches lower than "standard", on your lower hip. Just low enough to clear body armor.

chance

Tracker
Jul 15, 2015
Ga
Zip code
I have one of their belts but it's not the type I need for this job. I need more of a true load bearing set up.
Ahhh. Got it. In that case I can't help, I don't have any first hand experience