Bass pro shops is buying cabellas

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

Steve22

Hunter
Feb 16, 2016
This won't be good, merging some of the largest outdoor chains together usually ends with the little people getting shafted.

Bass Pro is Moving Forward with Buying Cabela's - OutdoorHub

Last November, OutdoorHub reported on speculation that Bass Pro Shops, a privately held outdoor retailer, was interested in buying out one of its biggest competitors: Cabela’s. It now appears that Bass Pro is moving forward in making a bid on its rival—with the help of Goldman Sachs. Reuters broke the news this week, reporting that sources say Bass Pro and Goldman Sachs Group’s private equity arm partnered up to make an offer for Cabela’s. The news almost instantly caused Cabela’s shares to jump 8.4 percent, ending up with a 6.4 percent increase to $52.51 on Tuesday. So far, both Cabela’s and Bass Pro Shops declined to comment on the issue.

JDib

Hunter
Apr 25, 2016
Sounds like they'll buy it and then keep everything the same! Good for Bass Pro, but I'm more of a Cabellas type of guy myself.

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
I don't shop at either. Can't stand the prices and usual lack or knowledge/service from the staff at the big box stores like that.

Ohiobellboy

Frontiersman
Feb 1, 2016
What's next? Gander Mountain and Dick's merging? I can see the name of that place being "Dick's Gander" :D

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
I don't think it will change much to the prudent shopper. Most already know it is typically a rip-off to buy guns and ammo, etc... from a big box retailer. Cabela's and Bass Pro are sometimes good for sales on certain gear from time to time, but for the most part, their usefulness to me is very little. I certainly never buy guns from them. You can pretty much ALWAYS find them cheaper elsewhere.