Basement range

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
If you are not shooting in your basement you're missing out.
Here is pictures of how I made my indoor BB and pellet stop.
You can use any scrap wood and used telephone books or newspapers or magazines. A lot of businesses give away free pallets.
The size is not important just make a big enough to get a phone book or magazine in it.
Staple piece of cardboard on the front of it and wen it gets to shut up just replace it with another piece of cardboard.

a4yjujyv.jpg

This is what mine looks like. I put a strap steel on the top with the keyhole cut into it so I can hang it on the basement door and take it down anytime.

8y9a3e7a.jpg

This is the basic idea.

ba9esu4u.jpg

This is what it looks like wen it's time to put new card board a new book inside.

adu4aset.jpg

Here it is hanging on the door ready for a target.
Give it a try and let me know how it works out for you, BB guns and pellet guns are a blast to shoot and are good to practice for self defense.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

jackjr

Woodsman
Jun 10, 2012
Thanks RICHGCOOP.
We use the cotton pellets that are for cleaning the pistol and just have a bath towel behind the target. Good for shooting in the livingroon as we don't have a basement. Works great and when we are done I run one through with some EEZOX on it.

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
Yes I was going to mention if you don't have a basement you can use your garage or a laundry room if you throw a pellet wild it won't hurt anything.
Good idea on the cleaning pellets.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

BubbaDX

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
St. Louis, MO
The wooden box is a good idea. I've been using an old laptop box stuffed with cloth and newspaper. Your's is much more durable.

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
I know what you mean down to the lake in the fifth wheel I use the corn dog box stuff full rags. Use the paper plate on the front of it.

ugu7a3e5.jpg

8ura3y5e.jpg

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
Bravo Rich! I use my garage and get a heck of a lot of range time. I love my new 1911 BB gun so much that I'm sending one to my brother for Christmas. Glad to see you into the air guns! :)

kraigster414

Hunter
Jun 8, 2012
Northern VA
Be careful about the need for ventilation, that would be my only concern. I'd rather die from cigar smoking than lead poisoning. Ideally I'd like to die from neither.

kraigster414

Hunter
Jun 8, 2012
Northern VA
BBs??!!! I should start reading these threads. I thought he was shooting .45/70 down there. Better yet .458 Win Mag.

BBs??!! I don't want to shoot no stinkin' BBs!! :eek:

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
This is what 320 BB holes look like at 7 yards Rapid Fire not staging.

a5yryzys.jpg

Here is a close up photo.

yju6yzu5.jpg

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
We've been doing very similar with Airsoft guns in the family room. My biggest concern is a wild miss could result in a dimple in the drywall.
Co2 cartridge or spring handguns are fine indoors. I have to discourage the use of my brother-in-law's electric Thompson on full auto. That could get a little... Dicey. YMMV and LOL!

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
3Coyotes said:
My biggest concern is a wild miss could result in a dimple in the drywall.

That's nothing that a 2-minute application of drywall compound and another 2-minute paint touch-up can't take care of. Way back when I lived in an apartment and peppered a wall in my bedroom (shooting from the living room). It didn't take much at all to patch that up before I moved out.

BubbaDX

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
St. Louis, MO
One thing I have not seen mentioned yet about the basement range is cleanup. The box I use to trap the bb's catches 99% of them, but I always have that stray bb that gets into the carpet. For picking these up I use this:

20131229_132920.jpg

20131229_132952.jpg

Any magnet works, the larger the more bb's you can pick up at once. But I like this telescoping magnet so I don't have to crawl around on my hands and knees picking up bb's. Works great, give it a try.