Faktory 47

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
I've been reading all over the interweb and still left thinking it's not necessary. Do you break in a barrel? 5 shots clean then cool. Repeat 5 times. Then there's lapping the barrel. Anyone melt lead and lap their barrels? I've seen that most I've read AR shoots better the dirtier it gets. Only clean when there's a malfunction FTF or FTE. What are your thoughts on barrel maintenance and increasing the life and accuracy of the barrel.

Short barrel lapping video:

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I was trying to figure out how important it was but then after reading a bunch the general consensus was that unless you are working on a precision barrel with tight tolerances it doesn't really matter. I did not do anything to break in my barrel and the first chance I get in going to see how accurate it really is off a bench to see if it matters.

Reactions: Red Dawn

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I would think maybe more necessary for a precision bolt gun. If you are sighting it in or trying out different loads, then you may want to take some time to let cool in between rounds.

Dinky Dau

Over Sexed Sr. Citizen
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 12, 2015
Zip code
I always do with long range equipment..Micro ridges can be taken care of. I always use several mops and JB Bore compound..I run 30 rounds with moping every round..This takes several days to do and I use a fan to cool between shots.. Then graduate to every 5 rounds between mops..My rifle groves are smooth as a baby's ass..Just how I roll, oh and I roll my own loads..That is what I like, but to each their own.

KGmade

Frontiersman
Apr 14, 2016
Marietta, Ga
kgmade.net
Zip code
I could see doing it if you are a competition benchrest shooter, or going for 1000+ yards. But for any AR15 or "battle" type rifle, I just shoot them till they are filthy, and clean them when I get bored.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
For "non-precision" rifles/carbines, I don't do it. Like a new M4 with a hard-chrome bore.......ain't gonna do it.

A new bolt action or SPR, I do it. If it has a true "match grade" barrel, I do a shoot/clean regimen for break-in. For a factory rifle with a factory tube (Remington, Savage, Tikka, Ruger, etc.) I handlap it first, then shoot it.

Ya can't make a blanket statement that rifles shoot better clean or dirty. Different rifles behave differently. Know your equipment and treat it accordingly.

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
I bought an Anderson 16" 6.5 Grendel barrel and had a chance to shoot indoors. I chose not to do any lapping or cleaning after shots. I put 20 Wolf 100gr through it then a four shot group of Hornady 123gr SST at the end all off sand bags. It was about 1/4 moa in 25yd so if it's 1 moa at 100yd I'll be impressed for as about as budget build as I can get.

I think with the Faxon 18" barrel I'll get next I'm gonna do it differently. May do a few shots clean let it cool and repeat a couple times I don't think it will hurt.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
I've seen this tossed around many times. I'm going to go with Dad's opinion- barrel break in was invented by the Benchrest barrel manufacturers. A Benchrest barrel has a lifespan of several hundred shots. If the manufacturers could get the benchrest shooters to burn 50+ rounds on a break in, then they could sell more barrels.

Just Dad's opinion- I tend to agree.

I clean mine when new and will then go shoot whatever I'm going to shoot during the first range trip. I haven't noticed any bad groups, but I can't say if they could have been better.

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
I've been reading all over the interweb and still left thinking it's not necessary. Do you break in a barrel? 5 shots clean then cool. Repeat 5 times. Then there's lapping the barrel. Anyone melt lead and lap their barrels? I've seen that most I've read AR shoots better the dirtier it gets. Only clean when there's a malfunction FTF or FTE. What are your thoughts on barrel maintenance and increasing the life and accuracy of the barrel.

Short barrel lapping video:

It's good to see someone looks at my videos.

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
It's good to see someone looks at my videos.
Ha we have a resident YouTube superstar or 2 on here. Yeah I try to soak up as much info as I can get that way there's a better chance some of stays. LoL. Very helpful thanks and subscribed.

Reactions: RICHGCOOP

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
What I notice on factory barrels when a proper break-in/lapping is done isn't always a big improvement in accuracy, but I do notice a difference in how quickly the barrel fouls and how easy it is to clean.