Aug vs Tavor

Howard Law

calebp

Hunter
Mar 24, 2015
United States
Currently pinching pennies and selling off lesser used guns to raise funds for one of the two. Seen the tavor for 1500, aug can be had for 1600. Figure they won't get a whole lot cheaper and always wanted one. Molested an aug for about 10 minutes at a gun store, felt like pure sex. Never held a tavor but it looks blocky. Then again I love my g19 just as much as my cz 75. Haven't had the pleasure of shooting either but I have a stockpile of .223 if someone would be willing to meet somewhere.

Advice/opinions/suggestions welcome!

BackWoods

Frontiersman
Jul 5, 2015
Temple
Zip code
If you are close to Atlantic station or Dville, feel free to stop by the shop and fondle the Tavors we got if you wanna get a feel...ever thought of the STG? Kinda a Aug knockoff but, keep seeing those for even cheaper and made in Murica

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
I have owned both at the same time. I sold the AUG but it was a close second to the tavor. I still own the tavor and doubt that I would ever get rid of it. The tavor would be my "go to" weapon over the many ARs, AKs, etc. that I have if I ever had to grab one and go. The Israelis don't build crap because they really can't afford to do so when they are surrounded by enemies.

The AUG I owned was a nato stock which took AR mags. That particular variant didn't have a bolt release other than the charging handle (minor nitpicking). The AUG is a 1970s design while the tavor is much more modern designed by a country with extensive experience with the M4 platform. Some say it's an upgrade over the AR once you are accustomed to its different ergos.

The quick change barrel system of the AUG is something that is still truly revolutionary and unique (outside of the ARX). It's too bad that they don't make 300 barrels for it. Not that the tavor does, but both are limited to pretty much 5.56. The tavor does have the 9mm kit, but for its cost you could assemble a very nice 9mm AR. Plus, it's not simple to convert back and forth.

Personally, I did not like the AUGs forward vertical grip. Also, I fired it one time with the grip in the up position and let my hand wander a bit too far out to the right of the gun. Unfortunately, that was exactly where the gas piston system dumps excess gas. I got burned...literally. This was one of the reasons why I chose to sell it and keep the tavor.

I still miss the AUG from time to time. But if you handle and shoot both, you will come to the same conclusion that I did - the tavor is just a more modern design.

They are very similar. I found that the AUGs charging handle would interfere with optics more. And since I had the nato stock, I would have to use that handle on every reload. Also, I believe that the AUG is heavier or at least if felt heavier.

If I didn't have a ton of AR mags, or if I didn't mind buying the standard variant with the proprietary mags, I think the gap between the two would've been much closer. Both stock triggers are crap. The tavor has a drop-in unit available from Geisele (which I have) that brings the trigger almost up to the standards of a good AR two stage. It is not cheap, though.

I've rambled a lot but my ultimate opinion is still that the tavor is better.

If you have any more questions about certain features, please ask.

Edit: if the X95 was ever released to the American public, I would sell the tavor and buy one immediately.

Last edited:
Reactions: madHatter

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
I rented an Aug one time and it was cool to shoot. Scope in the carry handle like COD.

Never shot the Tavor.

Couldn't afford either one...

Shoot 'em both and decide for yourself.

Is this going to be a range toy or a shtf gun? I may have to give the Tavor the edge for the latter on principal alone.

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
Some other random thoughts or observations:

The AUG has a cross bolt safety which is different. It's not bad but it is entirely different than an AR. The Tavors safety switches more like an AR but it can get in the way of your firing grip (aftermarket parts can minimize this a bit)

Neither will have the super slick ergos of the AR. Both will require significant training to get your muscle memory adjusted if you're more accustomed to an AR or AK.

Both are significantly heavier than an AR. I would choose the AR in any use that required me to carry around a rifle all day.

Neither will have the aftermarket part selection of the AR or AK. The tavor seems to have a better selection than the AUG, though.

IMO, both are super reliable.

The AUG comes standard with a 1x9 twist barrel while the tavor with a 1x7 - if I recall. Some prefer one twist over the other.

I have been hesitant to mount a sound suppressor to my tavor. It has a funny locking mechanism to keep the muzzle device aligned and tight on the barrel. I didn't own a suppressor while I owned the AUG. I would imagine that both would give significant gas to the face if a suppressor were mounted.

Both are very simple to field strip for cleaning.

The AUG charging handle locks back to allow the HK-style slap to put the rifle into battery. When locked, the handle can and will interfere with mounted optics. Watch those knuckles!

Variants of the AUG have a picatinny rail (or aftermarket parts are available) to allow mounting of your choice of vfg / afg / etc. I didn't invest in these.

I believe that the aug had two gas piston settings - normal and dirty to allow better reliability of you find yourself going a long time between cleaning.

The Military Arms Channel (MAC) has an excellent YouTube video comparing and contrasting the two. It would seem that they still feature the tavor on their channel and Instagram blog from time to time. I haven't seen the aug in a while.

The AUG now comes in white camo from kvar and other outlets. If you're looking to complete your storm trooper outfit - look no further.

As I mentioned before - they are so close in feel and function. I would have been happy with either but could not really justify owning both.

Both are proven through military use.

Ok, I've just about exhausted my thoughts on the subject so I will shut up now.

Reactions: madHatter

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
I like the AUG. No real reason other than I like the way it feels better. I think the TAVOR looks like the fat girl that would be hot if she lost 40 pounds; she can still show ya a great time though.

Strider12

Sniper
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
I like the AUG. No real reason other than I like the way it feels better. I think the TAVOR looks like the fat girl that would be hot if she lost 40 pounds; she can still show ya a great time though.
That trigger tho! Yuck!

Dinky Dau

Over Sexed Sr. Citizen
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 12, 2015
Zip code
Talked about bad trigger, the Scar 17 for what it cost, has one of the worst. I installed a Geissele Super Scar Trigger, difference was like night a day.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
I've no experience with the AUG. A friend had a table set up with a suppressor. The suppressor never left the rifle, and it ever caused a problem, he never mentioned it. He also installed a Geissle? trigger in it, and it still wasn't that great. It made the trigger like a polished, broke in mil spec ar15 trigger. I liked the ergonomics of it. They are different than anything I've shot, but seemed well thought out. I would think you could run it as quick as anything else, once you were used to it.

Blackrifler42

Woodsman
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Georgia
I had a Tavor, it's a great rifle for what it is. The trigger is garbage but you can't take out a unneeded spring and it becomes much better. The Geissele trigger for the Tavor makes it a different animal!

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
Which is the better bullpup in overall length ?
i don't remember the exact specs off the top of my head. I believe they are similar.

the tavor grip is further forward and it points differently...definitely butt heavy.