Argentine Mauser Model 1891

American Revival Apparel Company

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
ArgentineMauser18918.jpg

In the 1920's and 30's, old military firearms were favored by European custom rifle builders for use for building light weight mountain and "stalking" rifles.

In America, back in the 1950s and early 60s if you looked in a Montgomery Ward Catalog or Sears, you might find an Outstanding Value for the German Model 91 “Sporterized” Mauser Rifle Cal, 7.65 MM. Back in those days surplus military rifles were cheap and available, along with surplus ammunition.

I ran into one this week at a local Gun Range/Shop. It’s an Argentine Mauser Model 1891; from bolt face to muzzle it’s now 21 inches. The stock is now 31 inches, with the barrel bands, top hand guard and wire long gone.

The bolt has been bent. The front sight and base have been changed out. The front nose cap is still there but the cleaning rod is gone. It’s chambered for a 7.65 x 53 rimless cartridge, a nitro or smokeless round, known as the 7.65 Argentine. It’s a close cousin of the .308 Winchester, and .303 English or 7.62x51 NATO round.

The Argentine Crest is gone, having been removed. Sitting on top of that blemished spot is a Weaver detachable scope mount, with a 10” inch steel scope, with a cross hair and tapered post.

ArgentineMauser18916.jpg

The standard two line s identify it as: “Mauser Modelo Argentiono 1891” “ Manufactura Lowe Berlin.” . Ludwig Lowe & Co. (Owners of Mauser) obtained a contract to build these for Argentina. All serial numbers match and G-60XX indicates it was made in 1894. The 5 round box magazine loaded from stripper clips was a first. It was intended to be a fast loading repeater.

ArgentineMauserModel1891-18942.jpg

Someone had a lot of work done on this one and despite her 122 years on the planet, after some cleaning and disassembly she may get a range trip. I picked up 3 boxes of Graf & Sons ammunition for a hefty price. It used to be $6.50 per box of 20 rds. It was 7.65 Argentine 150 gr SP.

With a muzzle velocity of 2,900 fps, I going to further disassemble the rifle and see if there are any bulges in the chamber, and check the head spacing. I might even have a local Gunsmith take a look. Just in case. Old gun metal doesn’t soften up but it can get brittle.

M

mukwah

Nice Slowhand! Thanks, once again, for the pics and info!

Sent from my Droid Razr using my trigger finger.

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
SkipD said:
Very interesting.

I'd like to see how the bolt design differs (if it does) from the '98 design.

1891-1898 Mauser Development Overview
Skip

Have a look at this and it will explain a few things. LOL. After all we live in the Information Age and when it comes to firearms I assure there are a lot of folks who perhaps think like we do. Scary thought.

A comparison on various Mauser actions featuring the Argentine 1891, Spanish 1893, Chilean 1895, Swedish 1896, and German Kar98K

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
Militaryrifles3rev.jpg

I’ve got 3 types of Military Surplus Rifles in my collection.

The Japanese Arisaka Type 38 made in 1905.

The two Russian Mosin-Nagants one from 1938 and the other from 1939.

The latest addition is the Argentine Mauser Model 1891, made in 1894. Next to her are the German and Argentine flags from 1891. Also the Argentine Medallion that got removed when they were exported.

If you look at the top 3 it will give you an idea of what the Argentine Mauser looked like before she got “Sporterized”. The bayonet lug getting removed, along with the other external changes I described, turned her into a sporting rifle.

The Japanese Arisaka also included a box magazine and loads of other Mauser characteristics As did the Mosin-Nagants. America also got in on the act, check out the early Springfield Rifles. The US had to pay Mauser for Patent Infringements around WWI, which was where all these rifles were heading for.

Mauser-Mosin-Nagant-Arisaka-Mauser1898Bolts.jpg

Internally the bolts in all these rifles were influenced by Mauser’s design. I’ve inserted a picture of the Mauser 1898 Bolt, beneath Argentine Mauser bolt.

Directly below it is the Mosin-Nagant Bolt, which resembles the Mauser 1898 Bolts. Arisaka no doubt included the third locking lug that the 1898 Bolt had, plus an extractor claw and bolt ribs, which upgrades the Mauser Bolt from 1891.

If you’re into Mausers go back to the 1871, look at the changes made then through 1884, 1889, 1890, 1891, 1893, 1895, and 1896.

By 1898 Mauser was acknowledged as making the best rifle bolt for a semi-automatic rifle in the world. But then along came Assault Rifles with automatic capabilities which changed the whole game.

TRIGGER_1

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
Athens, GA USA
Awesome review.....Very nice collection..... 8) 8) 8)

Amazing how well thought out those rifles are considering when they were made...8) 8) 8)

Sontag_Shooter

Woodsman
Jun 10, 2012
Sontag/Blue Ridge VA
Slowhand, thanks for sharing the interesting information and your impressive collection. I've been trying to educate myself on bolt action rifles ever the past few months, and I learned a lot from your post.

Looking forward to your range report after you get her checked out.

M

mukwah

Some really classic rifles Slowhand! Very impressive collection!

Sent from my Droid Razr using my trigger finger.