Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

karlvv

The LEGEND
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
No, no, no. Unless I was just the unlucky one to get the drunk armorer the day I ordered mine? This was a rifle build, not a pistol, btw, but, first off, knew there would be some modifications needed to get it to run (feed ramps and possibly magazines). However, I purchased a 7,62 kit w/ BCG that was supposed to have enhanced firing pin (it did not), had a 5.56 extractor on a 7,62 bolt and no O-ring on extractor (been told this is important on the 7,62). First thing I did was order a heavy extractor spring. That didn't help. Took it to a buddy that has built a 7,62x39 AR before. He hollowed out the feed ramps, modified the firing pen, replaced the incorrect extractor, modified the magazines and put an O-ring on the extractor. Runs like a sewing machine now.

I appreciate the insight. I want to stay somewhat cheap as this gun is going to be more for play than for purpose. I'll keep looking.

lftd&pwrstrok'n

Woodsman
Trusted Trader
Jul 4, 2015
Newnan
www.facebook.com
Zip code
I appreciate the insight. I want to stay somewhat cheap as this gun is going to be more for play than for purpose. I'll keep looking.

As did I. I was challenged to find a buddy a sub $700 AR w/ certain specifications. Thought about building him one and was told that it couldn't be done. Long story short, he bought a Sig 556 while I was still looking and I decided to go ahead w/ the build anyway. I already had a 5.56 AR and wanted a 7,62. So, I did it as a budget build and came in well under $700 (somewhere around $500, I think). Bear in mind, all the frustration w/ the build only cost me an extra $20 for the correct extractor; so you might just be lucky enough to get the right BGC?

Reactions: karlvv

karlvv

The LEGEND
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
I'm starting to waiver a little. I also want an AR in 7.62x51. That one I'll go big on. I'm thinking about the big one first. I don't want the election to make my plans harder so I might just buy the upper, lowers, and magazines for both first and then spend 3 months putting them together. I was looking at the spikes bullet upper and lower in 308 today. I think that would be a good base.

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
I'm starting to waiver a little. I also want an AR in 7.62x51. That one I'll go big on. I'm thinking about the big one first. I don't want the election to make my plans harder so I might just buy the upper, lowers, and magazines for both first and then spend 3 months putting them together. I was looking at the spikes bullet upper and lower in 308 today. I think that would be a good base.
Meh on the Spikes. The Aero M5 is a much nicer setup IMHO. I was not a fan of the design or machining/finish of the Spikes set I got to finger bang.

The Aero seemed better made.

karlvv

The LEGEND
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
Meh on the Spikes. The Aero M5 is a much nicer setup IMHO. I was not a fan of the design or machining/finish of the Spikes set I got to finger bang.

Aero is hard to find. There are a couple lowers on gunbroker, but the upper/lower set is really hard to find.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code

I'll tell you this much, my Aero upper seems higher quality than my spikes upper.

karlvv

The LEGEND
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
I found a complete lower for 400. The uppers are hard to find. It's gonna be september before i do it so i'll keep looking.