AR-9

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I want to start planning my AR-9. I'm going to start with a pistol build and send the paperwork in for the SBR shortly after getting the lower.

For those that have one, what are some things I need to look out for when I'm picking components? I do know I want it to use glock mags and probably something like a 8 inch barrel.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I want to start planning my AR-9. I'm going to start with a pistol build and send the paperwork in for the SBR shortly after getting the lower.

For those that have one, what are some things I need to look out for when I'm picking components? I do know I want it to use glock mags and probably something like a 8 inch barrel.
What's your budget?

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Don't really have one. I don't mind spending money for quality, but I do need to keep it reasonable.
Ok cool. I was just curious because when I was looking at building a 9mm AR, I found that a purpose built carbine was actually a bit cheaper and may have fewer inherent issues with reliability etc. In other words, if you just want it in the AR platform, I'm not going to try to talk you out of it.

I'd start my hunt at Quarter Circle 10. https://www.quartercircle10.com/

Reactions: AtlMedic

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Ok cool. I was just curious because when I was looking at building a 9mm AR I found that a purpose built carbine was actually a bit cheaper and may have fewer inherent issues with reliability etc. In other words, if you just want it in the AR platform, I'm not going to try to talk you out of it.

I'd start my hunt at Quarter Circle 10. https://www.quartercircle10.com/
Ive been going back and forth between an AR platform vs a Evo or MPX. I am going with an AR so that the controls are all the same and I can start to build it piece by piece as money allows and waiting for sales. I also want to be able to put in for the SBR as soon as I get the lower so I can start the wait while I gather parts.

Reactions: Laufen

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Ive been going back and forth between an AR platform vs a Evo or MPX. I am going with an AR so that the controls are all the same and I can start to build it piece by piece as money allows and waiting for sales. I also want to be able to put in for the SBR as soon as I get the lower so I can start the wait while I gather parts.
Yeah, I totally get that. That's the road I started down, then I thought I might like something less mainstream than the AR, so I went with the EVO...now everyone has an sbr'd evo so, lol @ me.

Reactions: ReservoirDawg10

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Yeah, I totally get that. That's the road I started down, then I thought I might like something less mainstream than the AR, so I went with the EVO...now everyone has an sbr'd evo so, lol @ me.
I do like the EVO. Im glad the aftermarket is supporting it too.

Reactions: Laufen

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I agree that 8" is way too long. Do you know what you can do with 5.5" bro? If not, I'll show you mine...

I also agree with @Laufen about QC10. I built mine on a QC10 lower and couldn't be happier. It's worth every penny. I personally wouldn't build one with a magwell block.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
So no immediate plans to suppress it?
Why 9mm for home defense?
Not immediately but I would suppress it eventually. I want 9mm because if cheaper ammo. It wouldn't be primarily for home defense but I like to have all my guns reliable and functional enough to do it if the need arises.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I agree that 8" is way too long. Do you know what you can do with 5.5" bro? If not, I'll show you mine...

I also agree with @Laufen about QC10. I built mine on a QC10 lower and couldn't be happier. It's worth every penny. I personally wouldn't build one with a magwell block.
I'm wide open to suggestions on barrel length. If y'all think 8" is too long I'm not against going shorter. I don't plan on doing a mag block. It would be a dedicated glock mag lower.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Because why not?
Its just strange to me. 9mm shortys are usually built to be suppressed so I figured that was his intention. But since its not Im wondering why build up an expensive home defense gun in 9mm. If it were a plinker or goof off gun I get it, 9mm is cheap and fun to shoot. But if it has one purpose of saving a life id go with a more reliable setup and probably a projectile with better terminal ballistics personally. 9mm 'carbines' tend to be finicky. Just thinking aloud here to help the OP consider all options before dropping dough.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Not immediately but I would suppress it eventually. I want 9mm because if cheaper ammo. It wouldn't be primarily for home defense but I like to have all my guns reliable and functional enough to do it if the need arises.
Meh to using it as self defense IMO. Pull out that BCM or Glock. Use this 9mm for fun.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Meh to using it as self defense IMO. Pull out that BCM or Glock. Use this 9mm for fun.
It wouldnt be my first choice if someone kicked down the door, but I would like to be able to stash it upstairs so I can grab it if need be and I can't get to my AR.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
It wouldnt be my first choice if someone kicked down the door, but I would like to be able to stash it upstairs so I can grab it if need be and I can't get to my AR.
Yeah, I suppose. Do your thing.

-1 vote for anything PSA
-1 vote for magwell blocks
-1 vote for colt style mags
-1 vote for a barrel longer than 5" lol