Anyone raise and process their own hogs?

GA Firing Line

lftd&pwrstrok'n

Woodsman
Trusted Trader
Jul 4, 2015
Newnan
www.facebook.com
Zip code
Electric will work to keep them in. You can also get a solar power unit if the aera is too far from an outlet or to run a wire.

Ok, well since you actually know me, you know I am trying to not spend any money. But, I guess a charger would be cheap insurance to keep them in? But, on the other hand, we could set them loose and then "hunt" them in a few years. LOL

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I have the opportunity to get 10 hogs from the girlfriend's uncle at no cost. They are a Berkshire sow w/ 4 crossed pot bellied piglets and a Bluebutt Sow w/ 4 crossed pot bellied piglets. I have read that potbelly meat is very fatty, but also that crossing w/ a traditional meat pig will lean the meat up a good bit.

My actual question is: anyone process their own hogs? I know absolutely nothing about processing meat. I am fairly certain I could gut, dress it out, and cut off the meat in chunks, but I would want the correct cuts (ie, bacon, pork chops, butts, etc). Is it worth the cost to use a processor?

I would have no money invested in getting the pigs and my only cost of raising them to butchering would be in feed. I know that I would have to build a bullet proof enclosure, which is going to add expense, but I am in the process of dong that anyway for the cows.

Is it worth the hassle?
Not worth the hassle. I worked in a facility that processed hogs and cattle all through college. I got pretty good at breaking quarters of beef, and processing hogs.

If you decide to do it...you'll need good tools to make the job bearable. You'll need good knives, some good saws, and most importantly some meat hooks. Don't get the giant captain hook style meat hooks, get something smaller that will allow you some precision and ability to separate muscle and pick up smaller pieces. Something half the diameter of a bic ballpoint pin is just about right. You'll need good boning knives..4-5" max fillet style knives. They need to be flexible, that's very important. Don't forget a plastic armguard and a steel. The armguards are cheap and worth every last cent.

Don't forget a meat hook..

A hot wire will keep them in but require a lot of maintenance. Limbs falling on it, pigs crashing through it...etc. Hog panels like greenpanther posted are the way to go.

Last edited:

Jacob Villers

Woodsman
Aug 16, 2015
Elizabeth WV
Yes and it's a huge hobby. They're loud, filthy and hateful at times but..... they are delicious. If you do it, definitely have it processed by a reputable shop. If you have never raised anything before I would urge you to raise chickens or something like that before getting pigs.

lftd&pwrstrok'n

Woodsman
Trusted Trader
Jul 4, 2015
Newnan
www.facebook.com
Zip code
Yes and it's a huge hobby. They're loud, filthy and hateful at times but..... they are delicious. If you do it, definitely have it processed by a reputable shop. If you have never raised anything before I would urge you to raise chickens or something like that before getting pigs.

If it weren't for the need to "feed them out"; we would be in. I found a butcher that will process for a cut of the meat. There are 20 pigs that he is trying to give away, so I'd still have more meat than I would know what to do w/.

We currently have 65 chickens, 20 ducks, 4 colonies of bees and 3 cows. We are used to stinky, loud, and hateful :)

Jacob Villers

Woodsman
Aug 16, 2015
Elizabeth WV
Graining 20 pigs will be a big investment but if you know how to raise animals and have the room I would do it then. We always sell meat to friends and family. Not by the pound, by the animal and they pay processing.

lftd&pwrstrok'n

Woodsman
Trusted Trader
Jul 4, 2015
Newnan
www.facebook.com
Zip code
Graining 20 pigs will be a big investment but if you know how to raise animals and have the room I would do it then. We always sell meat to friends and family. Not by the pound, by the animal and they pay processing.

That's the problem, I don't have the pens set up and don't want to set them up for feeding them out. :) I just want to pick them up and deliver to the butcher and then go pick up my meat. And, since it isn't that easy, I am not going to mess w/ it.

JMUshotgunner

Hunter
Aug 9, 2015
Virginia
Eli Miller of Oikin' Acres Farmstead might be able to give you some information. I'm not sure if he's on here. But you can look him and his company up on Facebook.