Anyone raise and process their own hogs?

American Revival Apparel Company

lftd&pwrstrok'n

Woodsman
Trusted Trader
Jul 4, 2015
Newnan
www.facebook.com
Zip code
I have the opportunity to get 10 hogs from the girlfriend's uncle at no cost. They are a Berkshire sow w/ 4 crossed pot bellied piglets and a Bluebutt Sow w/ 4 crossed pot bellied piglets. I have read that potbelly meat is very fatty, but also that crossing w/ a traditional meat pig will lean the meat up a good bit.

My actual question is: anyone process their own hogs? I know absolutely nothing about processing meat. I am fairly certain I could gut, dress it out, and cut off the meat in chunks, but I would want the correct cuts (ie, bacon, pork chops, butts, etc). Is it worth the cost to use a processor?

I would have no money invested in getting the pigs and my only cost of raising them to butchering would be in feed. I know that I would have to build a bullet proof enclosure, which is going to add expense, but I am in the process of dong that anyway for the cows.

Is it worth the hassle?

the_great_white

The Father of Karlvv and the Legend he tries to be
Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
The Interwebs!
last one i took to a deer processor, but call them first. not all will take them because they have to sterilize their facility afterwards. since we're outside of deer season, you may have a better chance. every other processor i called, you had to bring them in live, some USDA regulation to do with the slaughter process.

Reactions: lftd&pwrstrok'n

Green Panther

Frontiersman
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, Georgia
Those meat birds grow pretty quick. Last time I helped a friend butcher his, he had a few that were getting so big they were having trouble breathing, prone to heart attacks, broken legs, and all that. Unreal how quick they grow.

lftd&pwrstrok'n

Woodsman
Trusted Trader
Jul 4, 2015
Newnan
www.facebook.com
Zip code
Those meat birds grow pretty quick. Last time I helped a friend butcher his, he had a few that were getting so big they were having trouble breathing, prone to heart attacks, broken legs, and all that. Unreal how quick they grow.

I've been keeping an eye on them, and so far they are still pretty healthy. The are free range 90% of the time, so they do a fair amount of running around. I am wanting to get them processed before all the above health problems start.

lftd&pwrstrok'n

Woodsman
Trusted Trader
Jul 4, 2015
Newnan
www.facebook.com
Zip code
I think I have worked out the whole butchering thing. I have a highly recommended butcher that will do it for a cut of the meat. But, I am going to have to raise them. Everything I have read about pasturing/penning pigs is: you can't do it. They will escape any enclosure that you put them in. How true is this? My current idea: I've got 330 feet of hog wire, I've got 3/4 acres of trees. I am thinking about stringing the wire and attaching it to the trees, since I want them gone anyway. I can get an 80'x80' pen out of the wire. Then I can add to for the cow's pasture once the pigs are gone. What do y'all think about that for a pig pen?

Green Panther

Frontiersman
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, Georgia
We used heavy gauge fence like this.

hog-panel-fence.jpg

Not this:

2007_3_15FencingCopyrightAudaciousAcresdotcom.jpg

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
Electric will work to keep them in. You can also get a solar power unit if the aera is too far from an outlet or to run a wire.