Anyone have an FFL?

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
I'm thinking of getting an FFL. My FFL told me today he was raising transfer fees from $25 to $40. The FFL fee is $200 initial 3 years and $90 for renewal.

I get some new guns for molding and have been going through my nearby FFL. I have had on several occasions where people wanted to send me their gun for molding. I have resisted that effort, but with the FFl that opens that possibility. With the increased fee, I'm rethinking the FFL.

Anyone have one?

briant

Hunter
Jun 9, 2012
Orient, OH
I don't have one but thinking the same thing. Fees have been going up here too. I have been researching over the past few weeks what is required and what you have to do to distinguish between being a true ffl vs. an individual 'collector'. I have learned so far that the programs like ffl123 are not worthh the cost because you can get the same info from batfe website for free.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
$40.00???? I'd shop around. I have several local guys that still do it for $25.

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
Slowhand said:
$40.00???? I'd shop around. I have several local guys that still do it for $25.

I'll get the FFL a then no shopping around!! I think some people are taking advantage of the times. FFL fee is $200 for 3 years and renewal is $90. I ordered an application pack.

D

Denny4kids

I have a friend that has an FFL. One day the ATF showed up at his house unannounced and searched the grounds, safes, and all his paperwork. Everything was OK as I'm sure it would be for you Doug, just wanted to tell what my friend went through. Denny

toytraindoc

Hunter
Jun 8, 2012
Western Pa.
Don’t forget your letter of recordation from your local Chief of police, Twp or boro zoning approval paper work, ATF inspection and your LARGE storage safes and all the different insurance you will need to carry when the ATF come for the inspection. ???

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
Mailed my FFL application today. I did talk (numerous times) to the local/nearest ATF office that will do my interview. They were actually very helpful with information and helped explain the process and discussed things that keep them from approving the FFL. I think I'm pretty good to go and hopefully will get approved. They tell me maybe 45-60 days to complete. Good news is they return the $200 fee if not approved. Wish me luck!!!

BeyondTheBox

Woodsman
Jan 7, 2013
The Great NorthWest
They're difficult to obtain from what I recall. May be state specific, but I looked at doing it a year ago and had to have business tax id or fein, and jump through a bunch of other similar hoops. I don't have a business so I couldn't do it.

My FFL is 15 for transfer + 10 for background. Two other local shops are 35+10 and 50+10. Needles to say I stick with my lil 15! Lol

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
Every time I spoke to them they mentioned city ordinances that prevent them from being approved. That apparently seems to be deal killer for many. I'm in the unincorporated part of a county with no ordinances. I have a legitimate business need and have a corporate EIN. I've been told I likely will be approved. We'll see. Plus, lots of ffl's are raising fees round here, mine went from $25-$40. :eek:. Several charge $50.

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
ATF female agent contacted me today and I have an interview set up with her for this Friday morning. Wonder if she needs a holster? I'll report back and hopefully with some good news.

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
lws380 said:
ATF female agent contacted me today and I have an interview set up with her for this Friday morning. Wonder if she needs a holster? I'll report back and hopefully with some good news.
Good luck bud!!

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
Well it looks like I'll be getting my FFL in about 4 weeks or so. ATF was here for about 2 hrs. It was painless and mostly went over all the things I need to do as an FFL and the paperwork involved. AFT agent said she was going to recommend approval and she indicated it takes 4-6 weeks to get the license. She seemed a little surprised that I told her I would simply not do many things she explained. For example, she said I could sell/transfer firearms to certain none citizens/aliens. I told he that won't be a problem as I simply will not sell/transfer for non US citizens, period. I think she realized I have a fairly narrow focus for the use of my FFL. I told her what I needed it for and that would be the bulk of my business regarding the FFL. She laughed at me every time she explained something and would tell her don't worry, I won't offer that service.

She was knowledgeable and very helpful. It was really painless form my stand point. I told her I guess my background check was OK. She said that she would not be here if it was not. I did a good amount of research before I applied and had a good idea that I would be approved and that turned out to be the case!