Any S&W revolver guys out there?

GA Firing Line

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
A customer of mine called me today and said he remembered I was a gun guy and that he had some guns to sell and needed money. I went and bought a used Bersa Thunder in satin finish, a new in the box Baretta 92FS, a leather OWB holster for the Baretta, and a Upula mag loader for $550. I am selling them tomorrow to a friend for $750 and keeping the Upula for myself. So far so good. They guy selling the guns also had a S&W .38 revolver with a shiny nickel/chrome style finish with serial number J 5158XX. I assume that is a J frame. Anybody know what it is worth? Condition was good but it did show some holster wear.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
I will work on the pictures of the S&W. I am just not very good on revolvers but rayzer is thinking along the same lines I am at the $200 - $225 range. I am also buying a Glock Model 22 in 40 cal. from the guy tomorrow for $300. I told him he could get more but he doesn't want "strangers" poking around........so as of tomorrow I will own my first Glock. I will own it until I sell it, which will not take long. All of this is helping me recover from my recent boat purchase and getting me some cash back in the gun fund.

D

Denny4kids

bigdogdaddy said:
I will work on the pictures of the S&W. I am just not very good on revolvers but rayzer is thinking along the same lines I am at the $200 - $225 range. I am also buying a Glock Model 22 in 40 cal. from the guy tomorrow for $300. I told him he could get more but he doesn't want "strangers" poking around........so as of tomorrow I will own my first Glock. I will own it until I sell it, which will not take long. All of this is helping me recover from my recent boat purchase and getting me some cash back in the gun fund.

I wouldn't look at the Glock too much or handle it at all. And what ever you do don't shoot it! You may not let it go! Denny

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
I have considered keeping the Glock for a beat around truck or boat gun since I will not have much in it, but just don't like the look of a Glock at all. I have no doubt they are a good weapon.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
bigdogdaddy said:
I have considered keeping the Glock for a beat around truck or boat gun since I will not have much in it, but just don't like the look of a Glock at all. I have no doubt they are a good weapon.
My Glock 19 is the best pistol that I have when it comes to naturally fitting to my hand and being the easiest pistol that I have to shoot well. It may not be the most accurate pistol that I have, but it's plenty accurate for its intended purpose.

I still like my old Smith & Wesson .357 Combat Magnum (model 19-3, made in 1967) which has grips that I made to fit my hand.

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
lws380 said:
Maybe we'll see bigdoggunbroker.com soon!

LOL. You betcha. I've seen some fun stuff though on Gunbroker. Guys selling shiny old, reblued revolvers that they have no clue about who made them and watching those bidding wars start when a $200. gun sells for $500. or more.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Picked up the Glock today. Cleaned it and handled it. I have no doubt that they are good weapons, but not for me. I just don't like them. Clearly I am the odd one since you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Glock fan.

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
bigdogdaddy said:
Picked up the Glock today. Cleaned it and handled it. I have no doubt that they are good weapons, but not for me. I just don't like them. Clearly I am the odd one since you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Glock fan.
Fords & Chevy's, VWs & BMWs to each his own. I've fired several of them but never owned one.

M

mukwah

Don't feel like a loner BDD. I've never been a Glock fan either. I agree that they are no doubt a fine weapon, but I for some reason have never been crazy about them.

Sent from my Droid Razr using my trigger finger.

R

rayzer007

mukwah said:
Don't feel like a loner BDD. I've never been a Glock fan either. I agree that they are no doubt a fine weapon, but I for some reason have never been crazy about them.

Me too!

Ray

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
I would not post this on a Glock forum, but I don't really like anything about them. I don't like the way they look. I don't like the grip angle. I don't like the mag release. I don't like the size of the grip. I don't like the look of the texture they stamp on the grip. I don't like the lack of a safety. I guess it is safe to say I am not a Glock lover. :D

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
Re: Re: Any S&W revolver guys out there?

bigdogdaddy said:
I would not post this on a Glock forum, but I don't really like anything about them. I don't like the way they look. I don't like the grip angle. I don't like the mag release. I don't like the size of the grip. I don't like the look of the texture they stamp on the grip. I don't like the lack of a safety. I guess it is safe to say I am not a Glock lover. :D

Me to. You took the words right out of my mouth

RICHGCOOP

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
bigdogdaddy said:

Chicken!

R

rayzer007

rayzer007 said:
Even though I echo BDD's sentiments, I still want to read the book:
"Glock: The Rise Of America's Gun" by Paul Barrett
It's the history and development behind Gaston Glock's product. I'm getting it at the library this week.
Here's the Amazon link for you readers that might be interested:
http://www.amazon.com/Glock-The-Rise-Americas-Gun/dp/0307719952/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1374452228&sr=8-4&keywords=glock
Ray

Just finished reading the book this afternoon; quite an eye-opening story on marketing, politics, and being in the right place at the right time. I would recommend it, if you're at all interested. An easy, quick book to read. Get it at the library, not worth buying at all.

Ray