GA Firing Line
Status
Not open for further replies.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Dave, those appear to be lead bullets. I'd suggest getting a small sample, if possible, to see what they do in YOUR barrel. Some barrels, particularly Glocks, lead up rather badly and it's a bear to clean them properly.

If you want to do like I do and create near-clones for self defense ammo, you'll want to stick with jacketed bullets. It's best if you can find the same bullet used in your carry ammo which is what I do.

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
Skip, the only concerns I would have is the leading. For the cost Berry's has done me well and I am happy with those for the type of training I do with a pistol. I do not load +P, which the Plated bullets are not suited for. I also notice that there is a big cost difference for Jacketed bullets unless you go for large bulk up to 4000 rds. Since I plan on increasing my reloading volume this winter, I am thinking that might be the way to go and get the volume on Jacketed bullets. With all the shortages, rising cost etc. everything has to be considered if you want a lot of range time. At least for my pocket book anyway.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Loading a relatively light load (because of the lead bullets) for training with a defensive pistol may not produce the same recoil and handling as a load the duplicates the load you use for carry. I'm not suggesting that your loads need to be "+P" equivalent (unless that's what you carry in the particular weapon), but I try to match bullet weight and velocity as close as possible for practice ammo.

One thing you should invest in if you don't already have one is a chronograph. Being able to measure the muzzle velocity is extremely useful when working up loads. You can determine how a particular load works and how uniform the velocity is from shot to shot. Otherwise, there's a lot of assuming and guessing going on when you are figuring out what load combinations to settle on.

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
I can pretty much tell where I'm at on felt recoil with most of my guns and different loads. I do have a Chrony, but that is really not important in my training. I also shoot a lot of 22.cal pistols for training as well as BB and Pellet Pistols. Of course recoil is a factor, but also trigger control, point training etc. Each his own, but do thank you for your advice.

Shootinbil

Hunter
May 13, 2013
Indiana
I bought Berry bullets from Cabelas today for $25.00 for 250 9mm 115gr. The shelves are full with 9mm Berry bullets.

Sent from My Compound
My Tactical Shooting Channel

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
Shootinbil said:
I bought Berry bullets from Cabelas today for $25.00 for 250 9mm 115gr. The shelves are full with 9mm Berry bullets.

That is cool they have them in stock. I also saw these listed on their website as well and also primers.

FMP pistol bullets

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
Trigger_1 said:
In addition to Berrys Bullets I buy the Rainier Bullets too..... :D
I use these mostly for shooting steel plates........ ;)

Trigger, do you have a preference in 9mm with those two manufacturers as far as the bullet? Rn FP etc.?

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
So far I have steered clear of the lead bullets. Handling them, breathing the lead, and having to be concerned about leading my barrel has kept me in fmj and plated bullets. JMO.

TRIGGER_1

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
Athens, GA USA
davevabch said:
Trigger, do you have a preference in 9mm with those two manufacturers as far as the bullet? Rn FP etc.?

Dave...I only use them in .38 and .40 cal....
Yes.....I like the Rainier bullets a little better....
They seem to be more consistent in weight on my scale.....
But when it comes to shootin steel plates it really doesn't matter...
I also load them under 1100 FPS....To keep the plating from stripping off... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.