Any lawyers in here?

GA Firing Line

bmags

Hunter
Jul 8, 2016
Tennessee
Got a question regarding Tennessee state law. TN code 39-17-1309 subsections B and C state that carrying weapons on school campus is prohibited unless there's some kind of ROTC or educational program going on. But subsection E states "Subsections (b) and (c) do not apply to the following persons:" then it goes on to list law enforcement, security guards on duty, military on duty, civil officers. Then this section: "(8) (A) Persons possessing a handgun, who are authorized to carry the handgun pursuant to § 39-17-1351, while within or on a public park, natural area, historic park, nature trail, campground, forest, greenway, waterway, or other similar public place". This part has me confused because 39-17-1351 refers to handgun carry permits. This makes it seem as though if you are a CCP holder you can carry on school campus. Am I just reading this wrong or what?

bmags

Hunter
Jul 8, 2016
Tennessee
Oh I'm not planning on carrying all over campus lol. This was just to satisfy curiosity about the wording of the law. Because the way it's worded sure makes it sound like CCP holders can carry on campus.