Another mystery for the gang to solve....

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
This is a French-made Darne shotgun that I own. It was made in about 1895 to the best of my knowledge. I inherited it from my grandfather.

This is a 12-gauge double that I will never fire. Information that I have found shows proof loads with X number of grains of black powder behind certain loads of shot.

What I want y'all to do is figure out how the action operates. When everybody's done guessing, I will post more photos that show how it's really done.

Darne%201892%20-%20whole%20right%20side.jpg

Darne%201892%20-%20Closed%20action%20right%20side.jpg

M

mukwah

Very nice!! I know but not telling yet! Shot one before when I was stationed overseas with NATO. Fine shotgun!

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
mukwah said:
Very nice!! I know but not telling yet! Shot one before when I was stationed overseas with NATO. Fine shotgun!
Did you use black powder shells? I don't dare shoot this one with modern smokeless loads.

Besides, the stock is just a little bit loose and I cannot get one of the screws that hold the wooden butt plate to loosen so that I can tighten the stock screw. I do have the special (extra thin) properly fitting screwdriver tips for these old guns, but corrosion seems to have gotten the best of me. I just won't shoot the gun with a loose stock.

My research makes me think this gun could be worth upwards of $5,000 if I found the right collector. I'm not selling, though.

M

mukwah

The one I shot wasen't nearly this old, but had the same action. I do believe this one could be a real collectors item if your dating is correct. I would definitely not take a chance shooting her! Beautiful stock! Looks like Old World Walnut.

M

mukwah

Let me know when you're ready for me to spill the beans Skip! These shotguns actions are really neat!

Pops

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Maine
Skip: Try some Kroil oil on that screw and let it sit for a couple of days. Nice looking shotgun. 8)

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Pops said:
Skip: Try some Kroil oil on that screw and let it sit for a couple of days. Nice looking shotgun. 8)
The stuck screw seems to be a wood screw. It goes through the wooden butt plate into the stock. I don't think I'd want to flood the wood with oil. I'm good with leaving it alone, as I don't think it would be wise to shoot the gun anyway.

Let's get a few more guesses and then we can spill the beans, so to speak. I've got a great set of photos to show how it does work.

redmond

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Western WA
Looks like the receiver and barrels and forearm must all move forward like RICHGCOOP says, or the stock moves back. The joint appears to be at the wrist of the stock.

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
If you do ever load any shotgun shells with black powder for this gun make sure they're 2 and 5 eighths not 2 in 3 quarter inch chambers

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

Uncle George

Don't leave home without it.
Jun 10, 2012
Austin and Gomorrah
pull the lever, rotate entire breech to the right. Barrel is fixed. that's a wierd one. Similar ones I have seen slide to the rear with the barrel fixed but that looked different and looked like it couldn't slide to the rear. Very puzzling. Did some searches but kept coming up with the slide to the rear types. Eventually I googled Darnes shotgun images and finally ran across one that looked like it might work like yours. Does it work like that?