Ammunition storage questions

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
how do you store ammunition long term? ammo cans? 5gal plastic buckets? open on a shelf? desiccant? considerations for steel? how long will it keep?

thx.

R

rayzer007

I just shot some .45 Federal Match hollow points from the early 80's; worked fine. Had them in the original box sealed with a desiccant in a freezer bag. Some others (.38) I found in an old shoulder holster ammo pouch that had turned greenish (leather issue). I think the desiccant is good; I have packets with all my guns and ammo now. I think Coop had some rounds from WWII (in a can, Mosint ammo) that worked too!

Ray

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
I've shot ammo that I'd loaded several years before with no problems or apparent changes in the performance. The ammo was stored in simple plastic ammo boxes that were definitely not airtight and were stored in my basement.

I've shot factory-made ammo many years after it was manufactured with no problems. That had been stored in the original cardboard boxes.

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
I have ammo I loaded 30 years ago. It still shoots good as new.
I now store my ammo in military ammo cans.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
AmmoStorage9-06-122.jpg

I own several different calibers and types of weapons. Ammunition Storage is not a problem. These were Surplus Military acquired over the years from local Flea Markets. $5 to $8 each, based on size. They’re used for bulk storage of various calibers in their original packaging. Inside a controlled environment, away from AC and Heating vents. I’ve stored ammunition , like Richgcoop, for decades in them. Open storage is not good.

AmmoStorage9-06-124.jpg

Purchased from Wal Mart. Made by Remington, Winchester or who ever. Individual locks. They run about $20. Each, you can stack them, bolt them together. I use them strictly for lower quantities of ammunition for a few hundred rounds or so. Duct Tape over the exposed holes and they’ll do the job. The ammunition is in the original boxes.

I’m not a big fan of plastic containers by themselves.

millsriver

Hunter
Jun 21, 2012
North Carolina
Ammo cans or plastic copy-cat "dry-boxes" like you get from Cabela's with bulk ammo orders. The ammo will last a very long time as long as not exposed to temperature extremes or humidity.

Yogi 117

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Salem OR
I keep it simple by just putting ordered ammo in my gun safe, while leaving it in it's original packaging. Never a problem! Yogi 8)

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Ammunition storage questions

Yogi 117 said:
I keep it simple by just putting ordered ammo in my gun safe, while leaving it in it's original packaging. Never a problem! Yogi 8)

I have a small safe that I keep my firearms in but there's not room in there for much ammo. I've got one of those stack on convertible gun cabinets that I was going to put it in. most of it just in the factory boxes or cases on the shelves. i was wondering though if sealing it up in ammo cans or buckets would trap moisture or keep it out. my basement is relative dry. can I just put a dryer in the cabinet? a lot of the ammo is poly/lacquer coated steel case.

gunjunkie

Hunter
Jun 8, 2012
Texas Panhandle
Yogi 117 said:
Same here, and I put the newest on the bottom or to the back depending on how they're arraigned. I've shot ammo that came from my Grandpa that was over 40 years old and he had just left them in a dresser drawer.

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
Gun cases. I have three loaded with ammo for all my guns. I think of each as a bug out kit. I keep all the ammo that i'm going to shoot at the range in my range bag...and in the takedown bag for the. 22 Ruger.

BubbaDX

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I also use the 50 cal ammo cans. A local gun shop usually has a stack of them for $9 and usually a few of them still have the original lettering. I have one of the plastic dry-boxes from Cabelas that came free with some ammunition. It works pretty good, but doesn't really hold any more than a standard 50 cal metal ammo can.