Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
So...AKs seem to have died off. Imports have slowed, and they just dont seem to be aa popular. Ive been eyeing another AK74...but man it just seems like a dying platform. Am I off base?

It does seem a bit strange that I can buy a Colt AR for $900 or so but a decent AK is about 1050.

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
I don't really think it's that AK's have died off. You hit a few key points in your OP; imports have slowed, and they are getting more expensive because there aren't as many coming in so retailers are charging more for decent AK's since the supply can't meet the demand. AK's will never die off, but until a US manufacturer can figure out how to make a decent AK and produce them in mass quantities I don't see them getting any cheaper unless the amount that we are getting imported increases drastically like they were 10 years ago.

H

Hoss

They're the 1911 of rifles. They were great for their time but the platform is 71 years old. It's showing it's age in the modern world. I was a big AK guy for a long time but ARs won me over in the end. The ability to swap any part in minutes with an updated or better version is just too attractive to me.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
I don't really think it's that AK's have died off. You hit a few key points in your OP; imports have slowed, and they are getting more expensive because there aren't as many coming in so retailers are charging more for decent AK's since the supply can't meet the demand. AK's will never die off, but until a US manufacturer can figure out how to make a decent AK and produce them in mass quantities I don't see them getting any cheaper unless the amount that we are getting imported increase drastically like they were 10 years ago.
Agreed, I suppose dying was a bad choice. More like becoming a niche market. In a world of serviceable $550 ARs or "tier 1" ARs for $900, I cant see AKs really competing. Its a shame. I like them, but when an Arsenal 74 is $1200 and a Colt LE6920 is $900, the choice is pretty easy. Hell, for the price of some AKs I could buy the supposed top of the line KAC rifles , at least lightlt used anyway.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
They're the 1911 of rifles. They were great for their time but the platform is 71 years old. It's showing it's age in the modern world. I was a big AK guy for a long time but ARs won me over in the end. The ability to swap any part in minutes with an updated or better version is just too attractive to me.

ARs arent much newer...but the idea of being able to do a real barrel change in my garage is nice. Then again, thats somewhat of a moot point as I'd never shoot out a barrel on either.

I need to add one of those Crane spings and o rings to my Colt

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code

If we were able to get some of the modern AK's that Russia and a few other countries have then it would be a different story. The AR and the AK aren't that far apart in age of design and the technologies that are available for both are way better today than they were back in the day. I'd love to have an AK-12.

chance

Tracker
Jul 15, 2015
Ga
Zip code
If you are only going to get one rifle and live in the US, the AR is the smarter choice just due to ammo and parts availability.

But realistically, 98 percent of rifles out live their owners. But after you have a few of them in different configurations, they get kind of boring. I think its worthwile to own different rifles and train with them accordingly. Im thinking an arsenal keink will be the next big purchase

Reactions: Rwjeter

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
If you are only going to get one rifle and live in the US, the AR is the smarter choice just due to ammo and parts availability.

But realistically, 98 percent of rifles out live their owners. But after you have a few of them in different configurations, they get kind of boring. I think its worthwile to own different rifles and train with them accordingly. Im thinking an arsenal keink will be the next big purchase

0727181911.jpg

Reactions: chance

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code

True, and I fall into that category. I shoot rifle probably 2-3 times a year. It isnt really any fun going to shoot a 5.56 or 308 at the 25m rifle ranges around here, and I'm too lazy and too busy to drive an hour or two to an outdoor range with some distance.

I do really,really like the 5.45 round. I prefer it over 5.56. But, I'm reliant on imports. A smart person would have a good AR as their "one" rifle, but man an Ak74 is cool.

Reactions: chance

Leadhoof

Dumb Bottom
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 20, 2017
Florida
e621.net
Zip code
It takes a lot of specialized equipment to build those things. And most US manufacturers aren't willing to put in the effort to build their guns well.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
It takes a lot of specialized equipment to build those things. And most US manufacturers aren't willing to put in the effort to build their guns well.
Its kinda funny, its so old school its expensive.

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
If PSA would build a budget -74 I may give it a go...'cause I don't shoot enough to wear one out.

I do have an Adams Arms AR in 5.45x39 but yeah, back in the day you could get surplus 5.45 for 13cents/rd. Those days are gone.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
If PSA would build a budget -74 I may give it a go...'cause I don't shoot enough to wear one out.

I do have an Adams Arms AR in 5.45x39 but yeah, back in the day you could get surplus 5.45 for 13cents/rd. Those days are gone.

Yep. If you look you can still find 7n6 for about 20-22c a round. Still cheap, but not stupid cheap

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I love AKs. I had one and I wish I never got rid of it. I think one if the main draws to AKs was cost, but with the cost of ARs down and the cost of good AKs up it has made people not want them as much.