Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
All right, I know I'm going to receive a lot of grief over this, but I'm having some issues with my AK 74.

It's a Century Arms M74.

Go ahead, I can take it.

So when we were at the range last weekend, I brought my AK-74. Never had an issue with it. One of my favorite guns to shoot due to its light recoil, cheap price of ammo, and the fact that everyone knows true operators use AKs. Anyways, @Red Dawn broke it. Not really, but that's the story I'm going with! LOL. When he was shooting it it randomly failed to go bang. When he went to charge the rifle with another round the bolt was stuck. After some serious convincing, we were able to extract the casing, but no bullet... It was still stuck in the chamber. There was no primer strike. I'm assuming the round did not fully seat keeping the hammer from the firing pin thank God. We took the cleaning rod and was able to knock the bullet out of the barrel. I thought it might just be a bad round but it did it again after about fifteen rounds. At that point I cased the rifle and put it back in the car. The barrel really was not that dirty. Besides, it's an AK. They're not supposed to stop because they're dirty. I contacted Century Arms this morning, we'll see how they respond. I know they had that one incident in the past where a barrel was not properly headspaced which resulted in a catastrophic failure. It was also and M74. I'm willing to venture that they will be on top of this as they will not want any bad press. 14922757739281387846157.jpg 1492276143667325678586.jpg 1492276179969584231549.jpg

Okuma

Proprietor
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 26, 2016
Zip code
Was probably too clean. Toss it in the mud,should function fine. The mud and water will act as lube for the chamber.

I know I'm no help. But hey,now I'm subscribed.

Reactions: Ak4747 and Rwjeter

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Was probably too clean. Toss it in the mud,should function fine. The mud and water will act as lube for the chamber.

I know I'm no help. But hey,now I'm subscribed.
Ha, me either! Let's face it, how often am I ever any help? Lol

Reactions: Okuma

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
I wonder if the first and second were the same remember pulling it back the bullet was lodged in the chamber or barrel and the shell came back powder dropped on the mat. It's like it was bound up not allowing it in full battery. I hated that I was using it when it happened felt set up like a bowling pin lol jk sorry it was in my hands when it decided to go click no boom

Reactions: Rwjeter

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
I wonder if the first and second were the same remember pulling it back the bullet was lodged in the chamber or barrel and the shell came back powder dropped on the mat. It's like it was bound up not allowing it in full battery. I hated that I was using it when it happened felt set up like a bowling pin lol jk sorry it was in my hands when it decided to go click no boom
I don't know, but I do know it was your fault! LOL. Unless Century Arms asks me otherwise. As far as they're concerned it's their fault now fix my damn rifle! I'm just glad I didn't get rid of that Tapco G2 trigger. Because I know if I sent it in with that ALG it would not come back with it. And that is a really sweet trigger.

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
Yes it's about 1/2lb sweet. Hopefully they will get it done soon.

Reactions: Rwjeter

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
Is this a model with a NDS receiver or a Century receiver? I know that there were some known issues with the Century receivers getting warped. I used to have a Century Bulgarian 74 several years ago but I can't remember what receiver it had. Mine shot fine though. I wish I never got rid of mine. I got mine for $425 back in 2011 or so.

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Is this a model with a NDS receiver or a Century receiver? I know that there were some known issues with the Century receivers getting warped. I used to have a Century Bulgarian 74 several years ago but I can't remember what receiver it had. Mine shot fine though. I wish I never got rid of mine. I got mine for $425 back in 2011 or so.
How can you tell?

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
If you have shot hundreds of rounds out of that gun, and just now having a problem, I'm thinking a broken shell as well, but if you don't see anything down the pipe, then I'm kind of stumped. Unless is a barrel/trunion block issue that just finally came to rear it's ugly head.

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
If you have shot hundreds of rounds out of that gun, and just now having a problem, I'm thinking a broken shell as well, but if you don't see anything down the pipe, then I'm kind of stumped. Unless is a barrel/trunion block issue that just finally came to rear it's ugly head.
Also seems like if it was a broken shell it wouldn't have fed any of the rounds. But after we knocked the first bullet out I fired about 15 through it no problem. Then all of the sudden it did it again. I'm kinda stumped.

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
Also seems like if it was a broken shell it wouldn't have fed any of the rounds. But after we knocked the first bullet out I fired about 15 through it no problem. Then all of the sudden it did it again. I'm kinda stumped.
Try different ammo?

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Try different ammo?
After it doing it twice I want it to be checked out before I put any ammo through it. At least a quick head space check. Any one have a 5.45 go/no go guage?

Waterguy

Woodsman
Trusted Trader
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
North Georgia
Zip code
I am probably no help, but I would use a caliper to measure the oal to see if it is in spec. I would also put a fired case in to see if it stick in the same manner