• NSR C4-LLC holster
  • SOE EDC belt
  • SOE single-point bungee sling
  • SOE AK/M4 Split Micro Chest Rig
  • Knee Pads
  • Oakley M v3.0 glasses – Eye Protection
  • Howard Leight Electronic Ear Protection
  • Mechanix Gloves
  • Shemagh (stop hot brass from going down your shirt or hitting your neck)
  • Pipe Hitters Union Hat
  • Cooler of iced water and electrolyte drinks. (Be certain to begin hydrating the day before you train.)
  • Recommend item I did not have: Maglula UpLULA Magazine Loader

Weather: The weather could not have been better. Mornings started off brisk and cool at 45ºF and warmed up to a beautiful 75ºF everyday. There was some rain at night, but by day break it had cleared out and the ground was dry.

Instructors: Dave Biggers and Garry Marr

Dave “The Experience” Biggers
I had the incredible fortune of having Dave Biggers and Garry Marr instruct the 2 day course. Dave and I are good friends and I personally believe he’s one of the best firearms instructors in the world. He has trained with nearly everyone in the training industry and knows virtually everyone in the gun world. Walking around SHOT Show with Dave for a week, there wasn’t a person he didn’t know or didn’t know him. Dave is a veteran and has been in the firearms industry for decades. You could say, Dave has “been around”. He knows when to kick in the drill sergeant voice and give you a good swift boot to your training ass, and when to speak softly and instruct you with a calming voice. Regardless of the approach, he knows how to get through to the individual with what is known as “The Dave Biggers Experience”.

Garry Marr
Garry Marr is a newer staff member at Tactical Response and has already made a name as one of the favorite instructors at Tactical Response. Garry is a Navy veteran, owner of Tremis Dynamics and former teacher who could instruct even the worst or most timid student into being a proficient and confident shooter. Garry has a charismatic personality and injects humor with instruction creating a safe and comfortable environment to maximize learning potential. I am looking forward to taking additional instruction from Garry in the upcoming year.

The Course: Fighting Rifle
Fighting Rifle is the introduction to all of the advanced rifle courses offered at Tactical Response, however it is not a “basic” rifle course by any means. It would benefit the student greatly to have taken the Fighting Pistol course prior to taking Fighting Rifle because of some of the fundamentals that are taught in Fighting Pistol as well as the ever critically important “Mindset” lecture that is the capstone of the Fighting Pistol course.

Fighting rifle takes a student from understanding the basic safety rules of operating a rifle to holding your rifle, drawing your rifle, loading, unloading, reloading, clearing jams, and basic maneuvering while operating your rifle in a simulated fight scenario. The student quickly masters these basics and then progresses into moving while shooting, concealment vs cover, shooting from cover, shooting from various positions (fetal, prone, kneeling, standing, walking forward, backwards, sideways, box drills, etc.), transitioning from rifle to pistol back to rifle among other drills. The day begins in the classroom to cover basic principles of gun safety and range safety and then you’re off to the range for a day filled with throwing hate down range!

Day two is a continuation of instruction with all of your time spent at the range. A quick recap of what you learned the day before is covered before more advanced drills are conducted. The second half of the day is spent working in teams. Understanding how to communicate effectively, bounding / leap frogging, moving, laying down cover fire, etc. are taught as an introduction to the more advanced rifle classes and even High Risk Civilian Contractor courses which utilizes the same techniques only on a more advanced level. All in all, the 2 day Fighting Rifle course was an amazing experience and I came away with a sense that I could confidently handle my rifle in a fight, not just when I went hunting or to the range.

Recommendation
I would highly recommend that anyone interested in owning a rifle to take this course. The level of confidence and proficiency that one will come away with is invaluable!

Sample video of the course:

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Good write up.

A few questions

1. What did you think you knew but suprised you you with how little you knew, if anything?

2. Why didn't you like the red dot?

3. Was the class mostly AKs or ARs, did they do a good job teaching the different platforms?

4. What if any equipment would you have wish you had or wish you didn't have?

5. How did you like the micro rig? I still need to meet up with you and get the ones I won.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
Good write up.

A few questions

1. What did you think you knew but suprised you you with how little you knew, if anything?

3. Was the class mostly AKs or ARs, did they do a good job teaching the different platforms?

5. How did you like the micro rig? I still need to meet up with you and get the ones I won.

Especially #2....everyone seems to rave about those things

Reactions: AtlMedic

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Looks like a great course! You don't have to be a full blown operator, just dress like one. How many rounds do they recommend you bring for each weapon?

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
Good write up.

A few questions

My only rifle experience had been hunting and the range. So the experience of taking the context out of hunting or the range and applying the fighting mindset was the biggest paradigm shift that I experienced. Fighting from the ground with a rifle, how to transition to a pistol back to a rifle and shooting on the move were all new to me. Also I got to learn how to reload an AK like a boss! I had also never shot from my left shoulder, which was nice to learn how to do.

I also had never worked in teams prior to this course. So understanding the techniques and reasons for those techniques were eye opening. Communication is key.

It wasn't very bright and it was often tough to pick up the dot in the reticle.

We had only 9 in the class, a relatively small number for their classes, but it was nice because it provided us more time to do more drills and get individual attention. Out of the 9, I believe there were 4 AK's and 5 AR's. They taught the basic techniques for both platforms: loading, reloading, clearing FTF/FTE/Jams, making safe, etc.

A mag loader. I had one, but forgot to throw it in my range bag. I wouldve also preferred to use an OWB holster, however I wanted to train the way I carry. But after the fact I would've rather had an OWB for transitioning.

Loved the micro rig. That thing is built like a freakin tank! Definitely glad I purchased an H-harness for it. That distributed the weight better and made it very comfortable. The split micro is made for both M4/AK platforms, but the AK mags are tough to get in due to the AK's "nub" on the mag...but not impossible or too tough.

Yeah let me know when you're off...maybe this weekend?

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
Just curious if you saw my questions. I think a few of us a interested in some more info.

Sent from my penis using Tapatalk

I didn't see them cause you didn't tag me in them....sorry. I responded tho. Let me know if I answered them adequately.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I didn't see them cause you didn't tag me in them....sorry. I responded tho. Let me know if I answered them adequately.
Very much so thank you. Sorry, I'm still getting into the tagging thing. Wasn't trying to annoy just was genuinely interested.

I'm mostly free this weekend, I'll be downtown for the redbull race Saturday.

Reactions: dougiemac

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
Very much so thank you. Sorry, I'm still getting into the tagging thing. Wasn't trying to annoy just was genuinely interested.

I'm mostly free this weekend, I'll be downtown for the redbull race Saturday.

A member is notified if you quote their post by hitting "reply" or if you mention them with an "@" symbol before their name.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
My only rifle experience had been hunting and the range. So the experience of taking the context out of hunting or the range and applying the fighting mindset was the biggest paradigm shift that I experienced. Fighting from the ground with a rifle, how to transition to a pistol back to a rifle and shooting on the move were all new to me. Also I got to learn how to reload an AK like a boss! I had also never shot from my left shoulder, which was nice to learn how to do.

I also had never worked in teams prior to this course. So understanding the techniques and reasons for those techniques were eye opening. Communication is key.

It wasn't very bright and it was often tough to pick up the dot in the reticle.

We had only 9 in the class, a relatively small number for their classes, but it was nice because it provided us more time to do more drills and get individual attention. Out of the 9, I believe there were 4 AK's and 5 AR's. They taught the basic techniques for both platforms: loading, reloading, clearing FTF/FTE/Jams, making safe, etc.

A mag loader. I had one, but forgot to throw it in my range bag. I wouldve also preferred to use an OWB holster, however I wanted to train the way I carry. But after the fact I would've rather had an OWB for transitioning.

Loved the micro rig. That thing is built like a freakin tank! Definitely glad I purchased an H-harness for it. That distributed the weight better and made it very comfortable. The split micro is made for both M4/AK platforms, but the AK mags are tough to get in due to the AK's "nub" on the mag...but not impossible or too tough.

Yeah let me know when you're off...maybe this weekend?

So, from reading another post, you said you expended 1500 rounds over the course of the training. How much was pistol? How much was rifle?

@dougiemac

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
So, from reading another post, you said you expended 1500 rounds over the course of the training. How much was pistol? How much was rifle?

@dougiemac

I shot more than required really... You can do the class and use under 1000. Especially if it's a typical size class of 15-20. Our class was smaller, so we had more flexibility. I also shot more because I was having so much fun I wanted to do more drills. Pistol, I probably used only 100 rounds or so.