ACOG TA01 and TA01-NSN Differences

American Revival Apparel Company

fyroc

Developer
Mar 25, 2015
Philadelphia
Zip code
I already PMed a couple of you guys about this but I want to see what you guys think as a whole. Over the last few days I was looking at ACOGs and decided to get the TA01 over the TA31 since I have a specific application for the rifle I was putting it on. The problem is I thought the only difference between the TA01 and the TA01 NSN was the illumination colors and the option to mount the TA01 on a carry handle.

I ended up purchasing the TA01 for the carry handle option in case I decided to eventually do a CAR15 clone.

I didn't realize the reticle for the TA01 was meant for a 20 inch barrel and 55 grain ammo (and carry hand mounted) and the TA01-NSN was for 14.5 inch and 64 grain (Flat top mounted).

I was wondering if you guys think that it would make much of a different on a 16 inch carbine flattop running 55 grain and 64 grain ammo? I'm really hoping it won't since I do prefer the TA01 over the Ta01-NSN.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
Ballistic wise, the weight of the bullet doesn't make that much difference, especially at less than 300 yards. Height over bore is huge though when calculating ballistic drop, but I don't know a scope calibrated for mounting on a carry handle would effect that. If it's a hundred yard zero, I would think the drop would be the same no matter where the scope is mounted. You are going to have to dope it yourself, no matter what.

Carry handle mounted scopes are terrible, impossible to get a cheek weld.

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
Ballistic wise, the weight of the bullet doesn't make that much difference, especially at less than 300 yards. Height over bore is huge though when calculating ballistic drop, but I don't know a scope calibrated for mounting on a carry handle would effect that. If it's a hundred yard zero, I would think the drop would be the same no matter where the scope is mounted. You are going to have to dope it yourself, no matter what.

Carry handle mounted scopes are terrible, impossible to get a cheek weld.

I sent you a PM back, Fyroc. I missed where you said you want to put it on a carry handle, this is a bad idea.... I saw hundreds mounted on issue M16's A2's and most people had a hard time getting a zero, simply because of the height over the boar, and lack of a good cheek weld. I think the biggest thing will be finding a ammo your rifle likes.

fyroc

Developer
Mar 25, 2015
Philadelphia
Zip code
I sent you a PM back, Fyroc. I missed where you said you want to put it on a carry handle, this is a bad idea.... I saw hundreds mounted on issue M16's A2's and most people had a hard time getting a zero, simply because of the height over the boar, and lack of a good cheek weld. I think the biggest thing will be finding a ammo your rifle likes.

I don't want to do it, I just like the option. I'm going to have it mounted to my M4 SOPMOD Block 1 clone at the moment.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
One more thing, but it's just a guess.

I still think the drop should match fairly well on your bdc, but I wonder what range of adjustment you will have mounting it on a flattop. I don't know how much adjustment acogs have, but mounting a traditional scope on a carry handle would use up a bunch of what's available to z zero it that high above the bore. If it's designed for a carry handle, then the middle of the adjustment is calibrated for being mounted that high. You can have problems with distortion toward the outsides of a scopes adjustment, that's why people that shoot long range use 20moa scope bases.