AAR Valor Ridge Rifleman I

American Revival Apparel Company

Tbird1991

Hunter
Aug 12, 2015
Missouri
Zip code
Who? Me and 15 other students with occupations ranging from doctors, other firearms instructors, fitness trainers, even a few YouTube personalities, blog writers and plenty more. The instructors for the class were Reid Henrichs and J.J. Wittenborn.

What? Rifleman I
Gear: Arsenal SGL31-68, Glock 19, SOE Micro Rig and NSR C-4 holster.

When? Nov. 7 & 8

Where? Valor Ridge in Harrogate, TN

Rifleman I was my second class at Valor Ridge. It is the “basic” class, but there was nothing basic about this class. You will learn the principles of marksmanship and they will be stressed at all times as are the firearms handling rules. There will be time (actually the first thing you do) to zero your rifle with help from the instructors. You will learn how to manipulate your rifle in a martial manner. To include presentation, reloading, stoppage clearance, and from various positions among other things. The team drills was the most exciting thing shooting wise about the class. During the four man bounding I actually fell down and did a quick assessment of myself and went back to shooting from the prone. I came away from the drill almost completely out of breath and smiling ear to ear. The biggest take a ways from the class include confidence in my ability to shoot, especially at distance up to 300 yards. The ease of running an AK variant.

The more important thing, yes even more than the shooting are the lectures. Reid has a passion for teaching and it shows tremendously. J.J.'s instruction is also a key component of the class. His experience is very extensive and it shows, but not only his experience, but his patience with each student. Reid and J.J. both provide individual attention to students and the classes are small enough that everyone gets one on one time. Not to mention the class dinner it is informal. Everyone's questions got answered and then some. It takes the class to a very personal level with not just Reid and J.J. but everyone else. Who believe it or not has something useful to learn from. No matter who or where they are from. My personal favorite thing about my time at Valor Ridge has been my classmates. The diversity, the uniqueness of every individual, their backgrounds and experiences. What brings everything and everyone all together and rings out from Jefferson Hall, the gravel and rocks of the main range, the loading pavilion, the grass and mud of the 300 yard hilltop, yes even the goats (don't feed them!). Freedom.

I hope to see you on The Ridge.

Reactions: Shemp

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
I usually run a 10.5 sbr w can as my primary rifle.

Would I be out of place in the class with that setup?

Tbird1991

Hunter
Aug 12, 2015
Missouri
Zip code
I don't think Reid cares too much. Might wanna shoot a quick email at him to double check. Shouldn't be a problem though.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
Didn't think it would be either. Just curious.

This should be a good chance to see how the WAR upper and sandman do together
I'd do my best to vet the setup before attending a class. You don't want to waste time and money during a class trying to diagnose functional issues. Just my $0.02.

Tbird1991

Hunter
Aug 12, 2015
Missouri
Zip code
I'd do my best to vet the setup before attending a class. You don't want to waste time and money during a class trying to diagnose functional issues. Just my $0.02.
That is very sound advice. A father son combo had problems with their DSA Fal clones... all three of them.... and a lot of problems...

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
That is very sound advice. A father son combo had problems with their DSA Fal clones... all three of them.... and a lot of problems...

How did the SGL do? Where there any other 5.45 guys there? Did you shoot 7n6 and if so what was your cleaning regimen for the class?

Tbird1991

Hunter
Aug 12, 2015
Missouri
Zip code
How did the SGL do? Where there any other 5.45 guys there? Did you shoot 7n6 and if so what was your cleaning regimen for the class?
Ran like a champ. No stoppages other than ones I setup. Yes on the 7n6. I was the only one with 5.45 lots of 7.62 and Aregularguy reviewed Chickenhawks Vz58. It got a bath in water after every day. And then did a real cleaning on it when I got home.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
Ran like a champ. No stoppages other than ones I setup. Yes on the 7n6. I was the only one with 5.45 lots of 7.62 and Aregularguy reviewed Chickenhawks Vz58. It got a bath in water after every day. And then did a real cleaning on it when I got home.

Excellent...did you run a red dot and in what configuration (rail mounted or RS Regulate type mount)? Do you think you could do as well without the red dot? Sorry for all the questions but I haven't yet had a chance to really run an AK hard like that.

Last edited:

Tbird1991

Hunter
Aug 12, 2015
Missouri
Zip code
Excellent...did yiu run a red dot and in what configuration (rail mounted or RS Regulate type mount)? Do you think you could do as well without the red dot? Sorry for all the questions but I haven't yet had a chance to really run an AK gard like that.
I did not run a red dot even though I have a PRO and RS Regulate mount (forgot them at home... the RS is for sale ). I know I can do well without a red dot. I shot at 300 yds with my irons. Don't worry about the questions man. Ask as many you can think of and I'll answer to the best of my ability.

Reactions: Shemp