A flintlock rifle at historic Williamsburg, VA

Howard Law

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lui6uNPcRPA

I spent last week in Williamsburg, VA. While there I visited Colonial Williamsburg, the Colonial National Historical Park (Original Jamestown site) and the Jamestown Settlement. Above is a link to Colonial Gunsmith.

1.jpg~original

While at Colonial Williamsburg’s Gunsmith Shop, where the rifle in the Colonial Gunsmith video was made. The old boring and rifling machines (made in 1965) were still on hand. I met some interesting folks.

2.jpg~original

The elderly gentleman there was really knowledgeable. I have a copy of W. W. Greener’s “The Gun and Its Development” and have done loads of reading on the subject. Gun smiths back in the day had to be masters of wood working and black smiths as well.

3.jpg~original

The rifle in the film was made there in 1969. It’s the 3rd one up, with the patch box in the butt. They offered to make me a rifle for $24,000. or sell me a pistol for $10,000.

I asked if they gave discounts for multiple purchases and the said no. I believe their waiting list is four years.
I really enjoyed the tour and appreciated the craftsmanship involved in creating the flintlocks. But the price was a little steep for another safe queen or wall hanger.

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
Re: A Flintlock Rifle At Historic Williamsberg, VA

LOL.... Unfortunately Rich I wasn't gifted with your talents, abilities and experience.

5.jpg~original

I did run into a local shop selling a Denix Colonial 1806 Napoleonic Replica Flintlock Pistol. Those old guys in Spain have been using pot metal to make replicas for historic firearms for years. So I saved myself $9,930. Plus tax and got a great wall hanger for the den. My girlfriend bought me a Steer Powder Horn.

The pistol is advertised as being a replica of Napoleon’s personal travelling pistol, carried in his over coat. The insignia on the grip and Jean-Batiste Gribeauval engraving, plus the quality of the design make it worth looking at.