A better 9mm casing?

Faktory 47

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Single-bullet.jpg

Shell Shock divides the case into two parts: the head and cylinder. The head is made of nickel-plated aluminum, while the cylinder, or body, is made of a nickel alloy. The company states that the benefits of the design include:

• weight reduction – 50% lighter than a conventional brass 9mm case
  • nickel has a greater lubricity than brass (nickel’s lubricity was the chief reason why Liberty Ammunition selected it as a bullet jacketing material)
  • patent pending design is said to prevent “ballooning caused by pistols and automatic weapons with an unsupported breach”
  • head portion can be anodized with different colors for branding or color coding purposes (polished nickel and black heads are available currently)
  • less expensive than standard brass
  • Shell Shock Technologies claims the cases have been tested to 65,000 PSI. As a reference, the SAAMI maximum average pressure (MAP) for 454 Casull is 65k PSI. MAP for the lowly 9mm +P is only 38,500 PSI
  • hey claim that in testing, the cases have been reloaded up to 40x each
Read more at Thefirearmblog.com

Cheaper brass and higher pressure abilities sounds awesome. It does require a different die for reloading since the casing is thicker.

Reactions: Laufen

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
i want to witness a 65k psi 9mm. Has to be a damn rocket.

correct me f I'm wrong, I'm not super knowledgeable about ballistics. But isn't that roughly twice as much as standard 9mm is now? That would be approaching magnum loads wouldn't it?

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
correct me f I'm wrong, I'm not super knowledgeable about ballistics. But isn't that roughly twice as much as standard 9mm is now? That would be approaching magnum loads wouldn't it?
It's about double, but "magnum" doesn't mean anything.
Maybe you could call it ++++P++++

Reactions: AtlMedic

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
Just because the case has been tested to those pressures doesn't mean that it's capable of being loaded to produces that kind of pressure.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
High pressure leads to a few other things- like blown out primers and faster case fatigue.

And I hate reloading nickle cases. It's a very hard material compared to brass. It tends to crack. A lot. So much so that I have a bag of nickle brass that I'm not interested in using until there is nothing else available anywhere.

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
I would like to see this after running through an MP5 on FA.

Another thing, 9mm is already CRAZY cheap to reload?? How much cheaper can they get? I'm all for it if the design can be proven reliable, safe, and cycles through everything reliably.