Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
Ok first off yeah I know don’t do it keep it real like it is Don’t bubba that rifle up. However... I have a coworker that shot his first deer with this rifle. He wants to chop it down recrown it slam it in a modern stock and mount a scope on it. What are his options here. I need the expertise of SET cause I’m lost on this one.

Thanks y’all.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I am not sure if it looks anything like this: Carcano.jpg
I just googled to see what it was. I have to ask one question, Why?

I get that he took his first deer with it. What I don't get is why he would go to the expense of modifying the rifle to hunt with? He would be able to find a much cheaper option in a factory bolt action rifle chambered in just as powerful a cartridge (30-06, 300 winmag) and have a ready supply of ammo as well.

I say keep the 6.5 like it is and invest in a good bolt action rifle instead. That or locate one of the shorter barreled 6.5's like the one below, unless that is what he already has. If so, Why? It looks like the perfect hunting rifle.

11016170_1.jpg

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
Believe me he knows and I told him also but it’s just what he wants to do with the rifle. He wants it shortened down and a newer style stock on it and be able to put a scope on it. That’s the tricky part it may have to be a scout scope setup or an offset mount because of the top feed and eject on it.

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
Believe me he knows and I told him also but it’s just what he wants to do with the rifle. He wants it shortened down and a newer style stock on it and be able to put a scope on it. That’s the tricky part it may have to be a scout scope setup or an offset mount because of the top feed and eject on it.

I'm going to say this in the nicest way possible... He's a idiot. They don't make them anymore. If he keeps it as it was issued to some Italian solider, it will only go up in value. Get a modern hunting rifle. Ask him if he had a original 1967 Corvette, would he slap 24 inch wheels on it? Maybe screw on a giant spoiler, and fake hood scoops?
He'd be better off to find a rifle that has already been sporterized they aren't worth shit, and most people can't even give them away. And last but not least, he'll never have that scope hold a zero because of the way they would have to put the mounts on the gun. Not to mention if it's a straight bolt handle, it'll have to be modified as well.