$508 budget build

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
Ok, so I have been buying a bunch of used parts off ODT and other places for misc projects. Well, the ugliest of all uppers was offered at a great price and after getting it, I kind of liked it. I originally bought it for the muzzle device and receiver, but LOVE the shape of this rail. If this Trinity Force P1812 was made of better material and had a better attachment method, I would really consider one for a competition rifle.

So here was the deal. The upper was spray bombed. After a healthy wash of brake cleaner, turns out it was a cerakote OD green rail, and receiver. Red barrel and gas tube, and yellow gas block. HIDEOUS!

Soooooo, I was going to drop it all off at Dobbs for cerakote BUT I bought a couple of cans instead.

I went and got a can of VHT exhaust paint and got it back black again. This was for a quick mock up (yes, it's torqued down and ready to shoot) but I did not dimple the barrel as the gas block will get replaced (I will dimple it once I order a new BCM one) and no rocksette on the MD as I will eventually get it cerakoted for real (I hate taking them off after they have been). Also, did not stake the end plate. Again, this will be torn down again soon and some parts replaced. This was just a "what would it look like thing" and put together enough to go bang a few times to see how accurate this barrel is.

Well anyways:

PSA 1/7 16" M4 contour barrel (used)
Badger stage ordinance gas block (used)
Trinity Force 15" P1812 rail (used)
Gas tube, unknown manufacturer (used)
FN M4 upper receiver (used)
AAC 51T (used)
PSA blem M16 carrier (used)
Colt charging handle (used)
Noveske Gen 1 lower receiver (new)
PSA mil spec stock kit (used minus end plate, replaced M4 stock with Magpul below)
Anderson and Spikes LPK (mix of new and used)
Magpul STR stock (used)
Magpul sights (used)

So far, $508 with shipping and the can of paint. After cerakote, probably $700 when I get around to it.

Picture from the guy I got it from:

image-jpeg.855457

What it looked like after I got the paint off

image-png.855458

What it looks like now after exhaust paint...lol

That's just some oily finger prints in the pic. I am thinking of going tungsten for cerakote when I actually get it together how I want it. Then again, I may just get it coated back black as close to a factory anodized color as I can. Still not sure.

image-jpeg.855460

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
Looking good so far! Great for a low budget build (with a Noveske lower!).
Yeah, That Noveske lower is meh.

The trigger guard holes were out of spec and the pivot pin hole had too much anodizing buildup. I had to alter both. Would much rather have a Battle Arms Development lower. The Noveske Gen 1's are junk IMHO.

FatAlbert

Cerakote applicator, PM for quotes.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
GA
www.facebook.com
Zip code
Hell, may take you up on that! Just buy supplies?
Yep, just buy whatever color you want. I got everything else. I have a lot of common colors like black and greens and browns already so if you wanna use one of those just buy the beer.

Reactions: Wallace

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
Yeah, That Noveske lower is meh.

The trigger guard holes were out of spec and the pivot pin hole had too much anodizing buildup. I had to alter both. Would much rather have a Battle Arms Development lower. The Noveske Gen 1's are junk IMHO.

Now that you mention it, I remember something to this effect before... Well, at least the logo looks good? :) Sounds like major QC issues related to that lower.

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
Now that you mention it, I remember something to this effect before... Well, at least the logo looks good? :) Sounds like major QC issues related to that lower.
Seems really only related to their Gen 1 lowers. After comparing it and a Gen 3, no way they are made at the same facility. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the Noveske lowers were coming off the same machine as an Anderson. Probably as Anderson rejects...lol

Reactions: dial1911

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
Seems really only related to their Gen 1 lowers. After comparing it and a Gen 3, no way they are made at the same facility. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the Noveske lowers were coming off the same machine as an Anderson. Probably as Anderson rejects...lol

Ouch... with that said, the Anderson's I've put together have had no issues at all- although I've read some problems from other folks.

Reactions: Wallace