40 vs 50mm objective

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I am planning on a new scope for my deer rifle. The scope I'm planning on a offered in 40 and 50 mm objectives

What are the pros and cons of a 50mm over a 40mm.

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
I am planning on a new scope for my deer rifle. The scope I'm planning on a offered in 40 and 50 mm objectives

What are the pros and cons of a 50mm over a 40mm.
It really depends on what you will be doing with the scope. If you're going to be using it in broad daylight at a reasonable distance, then you can stay light weight and go with 40.

If you plan on shooting at distances over 100 yds at twilight or sunset, the larger 50mm will make sense, but will cost you a little more weight

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
It really depends on what you will be doing with the scope. If you're going to be using it in broad daylight at a reasonable distance, then you can stay light weight and go with 40.

If you plan on shooting at distances over 100 yds at twilight or sunset, the larger 50mm will make sense, but will cost you a little more weight
It will see use at dawn and dusk for sure.

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
If you don't mind the extra weight, the bigger diameter you can go, the better.

Think of a scope like a camera F stop. The more light you can let in, the more clarity / detail you'll get, but, you pay out the ass for it.

Reactions: AtlMedic

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
So far there is a lot of misinformation in this thread.

Let's clear some things up.

Letting more light in doesn't have anything to do with clarity, whether or not light will get to the eye, or if the pupil can make use of it. That's why a 50mm BSA is nowhere near as bright and clear as a 20mm Swarovski...glass quality and coatings.

What difference does it make then?

When you're a kid your pupil will dilate all the way up to 7mm, unfortunately, the adult pupil with only dilate to about 4mm, coincidentally that's the exit pupil diameter of a 40mm scope. Ever wonder why so many scopes are 40mm..there ya go. So, what's that mean as far as brightness goes?

Imagine your pupil (light sensing part of the eye) is a plate that is 4 inches in diameter. Now, take a 5 inch diameter plate (light projected onto the eye from a 50mm lens) and place it over the 4 inch plate. There will be a half inch of "wasted" light all the way around the 4 inch plate. Even though the lense is putting more light (as long as the lenses are of the same quality) to the pupil, the pupil simply can't dilate enough to use the extra light. In other words, as long as you're over the age of about 25 or so, an objective lens over 40mm will not improve the brightness of the image based on light transfer alone.

So, what can be done to get a brighter image? Better quality glass and coatings. The fewer contaminants in the glass, and higher the quality of coatings, the more light can get through the barrier (the lens) and to the eye. In other words, if you want more brightness and clarity, spend more money, don't go for a larger objective lens.

So what are the benefits to a 50mm objective lens then? FOV, Field of view. For hunters, the larger objective lens can make finding game in the scope easier, but you will sacrifice scope mounting height and weight obviously. On higher powered scopes you may see some minimal benefit brightness wise on a larger objective lens but not until the magnfication is cranked way up, reducing exit pupil.

Last edited:

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
So far there is a lot of misinformation in this thread.

Let's clear some things up.

Letting more light in doesn't have anything to do with clarity, whether or not light will get to the eye, or if the pupil can make use of it. That's why a 50mm BSA is nowhere near as bright and clear as a 20mm Swarovski...glass quality and coatings.

What difference does it make then?

When you're a kid your pupil will dilate all the way up to 7mm, unfortunately, the adult pupil with only dilate to about 4mm, coincidentally that's the exit pupil diameter of a 40mm scope. Ever wonder why so many scopes are 40mm..there ya go. So, what's that mean as far as brightness goes?

Imagine your pupil (light sensing part of the eye) is a plate that is 4 inches in diameter. Now, take a 5 inch diameter plate (light projected onto the eye from a 50mm lens) and place it over the 4 inch plate. There will be a half inch of "wasted" light all the way around the 4 inch plate. Even though the lense is putting more light (as long as the lenses are of the same quality) to the pupil, the pupil simply can't dilate enough to use the extra light. In other words, as long as you're over the age of about 25 or so, an objective lens over 40mm will not improve the brightness of the image based on light transfer alone.

So, what can be done to get a brighter image? Better quality glass and coatings. The fewer contaminants in the glass, and higher the quality of coatings, the more light can get through the barrier (the lens) and to the eye. In other words, if you want more brightness and clarity, spend more money, don't go for a larger objective lens.

So what are the benefits to a 50mm objective lens then? FOV, Field of view. For hunters, the larger objective lens can make finding game in the scope easier, but you will sacrifice scope mounting height and weight obviously. On higher powered scopes you may see some minimal benefit brightness wise on a larger objective lens but not until the magnfication is cranked way up, reducing exit pupil.
This is also misleading, larger objectives do not increase field of view

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
This is also misleading, larger objectives do not increase field of view
Yes it does. A scope on 3x with a 50mm objective lens with have a larger fov than a 3x scope with a 40mm lens. Of course it won't if you are comparing apples to oranges or don't include the second variable (magnification).

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Yes it does. A scope on 3x with a 50mm objective lens with have a larger fov than a 3x scope with a 40mm lens. Of course it won't if you are comparing apples to oranges or don't include the second variable (magnification).
Again, a larger objective lets more light in, it does not increase field of view

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Again, a larger objective lets more light in, it does not increase field of view
It does increase field of view if magnification is the same. Two scope on 3x, the one with the larger obj lens will have a wider field of view...sorry, but that's a fact.

No, you simply don't understand what you're talking about. The size is only one variable. If the glass is of poor quality, the light isn't getting through. If you compare two identical lenses quality wise, then yes, but just because more light gets through doesn't mean it'll be brighter, and is sure doesn't affect clarity at all.

Larger lenses DO NOT always let more light in. Again....look at a Tasco 50mm compared to a Zeiss 20mm. Are you saying the Tasco is brighter than the Zeiss? Yes. That's what you're saying.

When you don't know what you're talking about, do everyone a favor and don't comment. You're putting out information that's totally false.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Larger objective lets more light in.
No it doesnt'. The quality of the glass and coating are hugely important variables to consider when measuring how much light gets "in".

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I'll tell leupold their website is wrong.
It's your reading comprehension that's the problem, not Leupold's website.
So you're telling me a 50mm Tasco is brighter than a 20mm Nightforce? Ok, cool.

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
It does increase field of view if magnification is the same. Two scope on 3x, the one with the larger obj lens will have a wider field of view...sorry, but that's a fact.

No, you simply don't understand what you're talking about. The size is only one variable. If the glass is of poor quality, the light isn't getting through. If you compare two identical lenses quality wise, then yes, but just because more light gets through doesn't mean it'll be brighter, and is sure doesn't affect clarity at all.

Larger lenses DO NOT always let more light in. Again....look at a Tasco 50mm compared to a Zeiss 20mm. Are you saying the Tasco is brighter than the Zeiss? Yes. That's what you're saying.
Field of view is governed by the eyepiece and magnification, not the objective. The larger objective simply allows more light in, it does not affect fov.

karlvv

The LEGEND
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
It's your reading comprehension that's the problem, not Leupold's website.
So you're telling me a 50mm Tasco is brighter than a 20mm Nightforce? Ok, cool.

I'm saying if you have a 40mm leupold and a 50mm leupold, the 50 is going to be brighter at dusk and dawn.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I'm saying if you have a 40mm leupold and a 50mm leupold, the 50 is going to be brighter at dusk and dawn.
Not necessarily. Only if your eye can make use of the.........fuck forget it. Yeah you're right. Larger objective lenses are always brighter. You win.

I'm done.

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Not necessarily. Only if your eye can make use of the.........fuck forget it. Yeah you're right. Larger objective lenses are always brighter. You win.

I'm done.
That's not what he is saying.

karlvv

The LEGEND
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code

I'm done.

It all depends on the magnification you have it set on, but I'm right on this.